LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Forum Experts .. Can you tell whats wrong here ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 01:10 AM

Forum Experts .. Can you tell whats wrong here ?

Okay here is the deal... i will put it in a simple format

well let me put it this way:

1- installed my heads(ported Edel's)
2- installed my headers( bbk shorties)
3- installed LT4 intake and 58 throttle body
4- installed WRONG rockers (1.5 Crane golds which were not self aligning , summit guy messed up i guess!)
5- installed CC306
6- new time chain

the car had the following when i started it up:
1- stock everything (fuel inj, fuel pressure reg, fuel pump)
2- unplugged o2 sensors and fan sensors
3- 89 or 87 not sure fuel in tank
4- only the bbk shorties were in .. rest of exhaust unplugged
5- stock PCM untuned
6- 2500 stall and 3.73's
7- noticed my elbow had a little cut in it that is right where the thing is bent in the middle (its too old).
8- **EDIT** the BBK 58 throttle confused me a little bit and i am afraid that i might have switched the two pipes that go on the left side of the throttle body (if you are looking at it from the front opening) ... i wasnt sure which one plugs to which .... i know i know mistake but is that part of causing the car to die

so i wanted to crank it up to see if the rockers would act rite and the whole car would act right.. guess waht.. it starts up .. runs for 2-3 seconds .. dies.

tried to run it again RPM goes up a little ... then falls on its face .. car turns off.

and again .. same exact thing... no weird noises ... just loud as hell !!!

all i want to know is .. should it die like that .. is it normal ???

i know i have the wrong rockers .. but still i dont think rockers that are not self aligning would make the car die in my opinion...

Last edited by bo3abd; 07-21-2004 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:14 AM

Re: Forum Experts .. Can you tell whats wrong here ?

of course i wanted to correct the mistakes so i went to summit and bought the following:

1- 255 fuel pump
2- fuel pressure regulator
3- new trickflow elbow
4- 1.6 crane gold SELF ALIGNING ROCKERS
5- #30 injectors

and currently trying to find the best most convienient way to tune my PCM for all this new metal that is bolted on the enigne
Old 07-21-2004, 01:27 AM

where to start here...

2- unplugged o2 sensors and fan sensors
5- stock PCM untuned

both of these will cause problems..also if you put 30lb injectors on with no programming you are asking for more trouble, the computer is acting as if it is working with a 24lb injector, the pulse width is wider and it is dumping in too much fuel.. no O2 sensors will cause a limp-home condition..

the bigger plug on the top of the throttle body goes to the valve cover..

You need to get the right rockers on it.. I would not even consider starting my engine with the wrong rockers on it..

Also noticed you are running LT1 edelbrocks, are they modified to match the LT4 manifold? if not that is not helping anything either as the ports will not match up.. The manifold by itself will not gain you anything as it is no better than the LT1 manifold, the key on the LT4 is the LT4 heads not the manifold, the manifold being simply the air adaptor to get to the raised ports..IF the heads are not modified put your LT1 intake back on..

and just noticed this:
7- noticed my elbow had a little cut in it that is right where the thing is bent in the middle (its too old).

If you have a crack in the elbow leaking air after the MAF you are allowing unmetered air into the engine..

Sounds like you have a bad case of "can't wait to start my car-itis" Hook everything up the way it is supposed to be (as in ready to run on the street), get a program in it (mail order will work for now) and try again.. you are playing with too many variables to narrow down a cause..

Last edited by J's 82; 07-21-2004 at 01:43 AM.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:18 AM

thanks for the input..

here we go...

The LT4 intake and Edel's were port matched and the edel's were ported.

the stock injectors are still in .. like i mentioned i bought the new stuff today its not on the car ... planning to put it all together and tune it then run it.

the rockers are a mistake but what is confusing me is that its dying after 2-3 seconds .. i thought it would hold at least and idle really bad atleast.

i thought the car shouldnt have problems starting even without the elbow plugged to it (i wouldnt do that .. but hey it should start!).

i know i started the car too soon .. but why is it dying is the question ...
Old 07-21-2004, 05:50 AM

8- **EDIT** the BBK 58 throttle confused me a little bit and i am afraid that i might have switched the two pipes that go on the left side of the throttle body (if you are looking at it from the front opening) ... i wasnt sure which one plugs to which .... i know i know mistake but is that part of causing the car to die

IF you did mix those 2 hoses up.. not a good idea to do that... check for coolant in the oil..
Old 07-21-2004, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by bo3abd
thanks for the input..

i know i started the car too soon .. but why is it dying is the question ...
You just answered your own question..

I thought I was very clear about that in my post, you just won't know until the thing is back to 99% together..

you didn't say that the injectors weren't on, just that you bought them.. I assumed the worst.

Anyone else want to help?

Last edited by J's 82; 07-21-2004 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:44 AM

Hotwire your fuel pump and make sure it stays on, see if that helps. Plug those O2's in too. Reset the PCM so it can learn all the new stuff you just put on. I'll write more if I think of anything else to try right off.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:39 AM

Don't hot wire anything. If you need to power the pump use the fuel pump prime connector up near the PCM.

Never test work you have done, ESPECIALLY the extensive type you have done with a loud exhaust. If there are mechanical problems while first firing it up, you will not hear them. You always want a quiet exhaust to test your work.

I doubt you will be able to keep it running without some sort of base tuning. Talk to Madwolf about that.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:18 AM

Sorry, I did mean the little connector under the hood, it's a built-in "hotwire" wire to supply 12v+ to the fuel pump. Right ideas, wrong terminology.

by the way, with those rockers and exhaust, I hope you're running a LT4 KM?
Old 07-23-2004, 11:36 AM
Administrator

The LT4 intake and Edel's were port matched and the edel's were ported.
Did you verify that you have the proper "fit" between the LT4 intake and the Edelbrock heads? With the stock LT1 heads, there is an interference between the LT4 intake and the valve cover rail on the heads. Either the heads or the intake needs to be machined to eliminate the interference. Don't know if the Edelbrocks have the same valve cover rail configuration, but its a thought.

On the throttle body, which two hoses did you interchange. On the passenger side of the main TB body, there is the large diameter upper hose that goes to the passenger side valve cover, and the smaller diameter lower hose that comes from the EEC purge solenoid. It wouldn't be physically possible to switch those two. The other connection on the passenger side is the coolant connection on the lower TB plate. Are you saying you switched the coolant hose and the valve cover air supply hose?
If you manged to get coolant in the top connection, it would dribble out of the hole in the space between the throttle blades, and run down into the IAC air supply hole. Once you get coolant in the IAC passages, it isn't going to idle. Again... just a thought.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:28 PM

first things first, hook the exhaust up!
Old 07-25-2004, 03:28 PM

Send the adjustable regulator back it needs to be tunes through the pcm that is the one right way to do it.
Again the O2s and all sensors need to be hooked up and you need exhaust on there not only because of noise but if O2s are near the exhaust dump fresh air can get up into them and screwup fuel trims.