LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

flashing SES

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 07:59 PM

flashing SES

Hey everyone...just a quick question for you all. I know I have a really bad arching issue with my car right now. But every since that has happened, the Service Engine Soon light has been flashing...on off on off on off. Also...my courtesy lights stay on too. I cant get them to turn off. I have them off right now because I took the fuse out. But other than that they just stay on. Anyone have any input??? Thanks!!!

Okay...stupid question about the flashing ses...it is a miss...but what about my courtesy lights? how come they are staying one???

Last edited by LT1 Bunny; 08-14-2003 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:40 PM
Administrator

The "flashing" SES light generally means "misfire". Get it scanned, and it will tell you which cylinders are misfiring. Of course if you know its got wires arcing, it would be perfectly logical for the light to be flashing.

The courtesy light problem is likely a coincidence. The door switches work by shorting to ground, so if one of the switches fails, it will often turn the interior lights on permanently. The door switches just unscrew from the door frame. Unscrew each switch, and pull it out, making sure niether the switch or the wire is touching the body sheet metal. If its not a door switch, might be related to a switch on the rear hatch latching mechanism, that also turns the interior lights on.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:38 PM

Okay...I'll check ou that door switch thing. I am assuming its located on the inside of the door frame right? Take out the interior panels and ou can get to it like that? Thaks for the info! I would have never thought it was a door switch because its something so minor! Thanks for the help again!

-Eddie
Old 08-15-2003, 02:56 PM
Administrator

The door switch is visible. It a little pushbutton sticking out of the body panel near where the lower door hinge mounts. It's not on the door. The door hits it when it closes and pushes the button in.

I often step on it with my foot to keep the "key in ignition" dingie from driving me nuts when I'm downloading my computer data logger.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:56 PM

Sorry my computer has been down for a few days now...ill look at that little push button thing tonight after sachool! thanks for the help Injuneer! I have one question for you too if you dont mind me asking a dumb question. You dont have an AC in car as I can tell with your pictures on the web page....I was thinking about doing the same thing. Heres the question, when I put it on MAX (meaning the AC and air controls) does it still blow "outside" air at the same speed? In other words does it blow out the same amount of air when you dont have it on max or ac? I was just wondering because I looking to get rid of it but I still want a lot of air blow in the car. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2003, 04:31 PM
Administrator

I really don't know what happens when I put the heater/AC **** in various positions... I never tried it. Might be worth starting the car up tonight just to find out. But I think the "MAX" position just flips the doors in the ductwork so the fan is pulling the air out of the interior, and blowing it back through the duct, so the fan seems to run faster since it is not pulling/blowing the air all the way from outside, and all the noise is sort of trapped inside the passenger compartment. I would guess the fan still goes to internal circulation and really "blows"... so to speak. Not sure if this might also have been affected by the fact that I have deleted the little "vacuum reservoir" in the system = 1# weight savings....
Old 08-19-2003, 06:57 PM

Hey, I checked out my door switches and there was nothing that seemed to be out of place. So I put them back in place and put the fuse back in just for the heck of it....they turned off. Isn't that weird? So I pulled the fuse, took ot both switches and examined them, put them back in, put the fuse back in and by mirale it fixed itself...I wish things were always this easy when itcomes to fixin themselves!!

About deleting that "vacuum reservior" is that something I can look up on the board is thats something that hasn'tbeen done by very many poeple. Iam looking to get rid of tis AC system and I'm not sure all whats involved right now as of this moment. About to find out. But if you could tell me abot tat vacuum thing? Thanks a lot! By the way...where in Jersey are you?