LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

First break down ever

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 06:02 AM

Re: First break down ever

No it forces it to stay in open loop when an O2 is disconnected.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:35 AM

Do a simple ohm check on the coil to test it. Maybe a weak coil that is breaking down at temperature is causing the problem.
http://shbox.com/1/coil_testing.jpg
Old 08-27-2011, 12:49 PM

Just got finished throwing a new stock coil on it. Same thing. Going to disconnect the O2 sensor next and see if it keeps running with one unplugged.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:13 PM

Unplugged O2 sensor and it stayed in open loop and did the same thing. Let it cool for 3 hrs and restarted and gotthe same result. So this means i have a part that is breaking down when hot? The ICM and coil are both brand new, replaced after this problem started. The ICM was free warranty replacement and the coil was only 20 for a stocker. Only thing left is the opti, PCM, and ?? MAF? This is driving me batty!

Last edited by dalynchmob; 08-27-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:14 PM

I think you got distracted from the issue of it going back into open loop then shutting down. What is causing it to go back into open loop?
I'm still learning too but, this is the way I understand things work.
The opti makes a 5v waveform for the computer, it analyzes that and sends it to the ICM. The ICM amplifies the 5v signal to 70 volt for the coil. The coil is just stepping that signal up again.
It would be great if you could monitor the wave form while the engine is warming up. You could watch and see if the wave degenerates. If it does then it's the opti led.
I also wonder if the fuel pressure is staying strong after a few minutes of running, then dies off
Old 08-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Administrator

The PCM does not pass the 5V square wave through to the ICM. It counts the pulses, to determine the cam position, determines when to fire the plug, and when to fire the injector, then sends a signal to the ICM to fire the coil at the right time, and another ground to the injector, of the correct duration to deliver the desired amount of fuel. The fact that the Opti produces a 5V square wave, and the PCM produces a 5V pulse to signal the ICM is coincidental.

The engine will run without the high resolution pulse, because the PCM can determine where the cam is in it's cycle simply by looking at the variable width of the low resolution pulse from the Opti cam position sensor. You will just lose a bit of timing accuracy.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:18 PM

Thanks Injuneer. That was a very informational blurb. Like I said I am still learning.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The PCM does not pass the 5V square wave through to the ICM. It counts the pulses, to determine the cam position, determines when to fire the plug, and when to fire the injector, then sends a signal to the ICM to fire the coil at the right time, and another ground to the injector, of the correct duration to deliver the desired amount of fuel. The fact that the Opti produces a 5V square wave, and the PCM produces a 5V pulse to signal the ICM is coincidental.

The engine will run without the high resolution pulse, because the PCM can determine where the cam is in it's cycle simply by looking at the variable width of the low resolution pulse from the Opti cam position sensor. You will just lose a bit of timing accuracy.

Uhhhhhh.....what? sorry not a pro like you guys. That was like speaking russian to me. Can you dumb it down a bit?
Old 08-27-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by dalynchmob
Uhhhhhh.....what? sorry not a pro like you guys. That was like speaking russian to me. Can you dumb it down a bit?
What didn't you get?
Old 08-27-2011, 09:04 PM

He was explaining the difference in the hi-res signal sent to the computer by the Opti was different than the pulse sent to the ICM. He was correcting the statement that I posted.
We are no closer to figuring out the cause of your engine shutting down tho.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:45 PM

Roger thank you Psycho.

BW- So hilarious.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:52 PM

Dynaspark Opti en route. I'll keep everyone posted. Gotta get this fixed for my top end work.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by dalynchmob
Roger thank you Psycho.

BW- So hilarious.
I just asked a simple question....
Old 09-02-2011, 08:43 AM

My apologies then. I figured you were being a smart *** since it was your first post of the thread. My bad
Old 09-02-2011, 08:54 AM

I have had an issue with something like this....twice. Once with my lt1 and once with my TBSS. Both of them were due to high resistance in the wiring to the ECM. You don't have any kind of ign box like a msd or crane do you?

Quick Reply: First break down ever