LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

figure this one out

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Eff

figure this one out

Recently I started sporatically throwing a code as the engine would buck, nearly die and then recover like nothing happened.
I pulled a Hi-Res code which made sense since it only did it when I was accelerating.

Heres the weird part. I've been driving on it for like, 3 weeks waiting for my new opti, and climate really seems to effect it.
Yesterday it was 86 and sunny the majority of the day. It ran terrible. Even at like 10% throttle, every stop it bucked.
Today, 58 and cloudy, been reving the **** out of it all day. It only did it once, when it rained for about 10 minutes.
Believe me, after three weeks of driving on this I'm pretty sure
I'm not imagining things. Does anybody see any logic to this?
Old 05-07-2004, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Opti or other ignition part related. Might want to start by checking the Opti harness connectors for corrosion.

Routine LT1 Tech issues should be posted in "LT1 Tech"..... moving the post there.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:30 PM

Could also be heatsoak from the coil or ignition module. I replaced my coil and modded the module so it does not screw directly into the head and my hesitation vanished completely..
Old 05-07-2004, 08:47 PM

ses light and bucking when accelerating, i changed coil and no more problem.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:46 AM
Eff

Originally posted by Injuneer
Opti or other ignition part related. Might want to start by checking the Opti harness connectors for corrosion.

Routine LT1 Tech issues should be posted in "LT1 Tech"..... moving the post there.
sorry about that... I just felt that it wasn't very routine. There is no damage whatsoever to the opti harness. I was curious if it could be some type of known condensation problem.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:24 PM

I'm currently on my second opti... The first died during heavy snow and sleet (water made its way inside the opti). And now the second acts up anytime it rains out. And by acting up I mean little to no respose when I'm on the throttle except if I give it over 50%. I am very sure this is because water gets inside. The only reason I don't change it out is because its a b!tch and also because it's not my daily driver. During normal weather, the car runs perfect.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Eff

well, changed my plugs and wires the other day and found my coil wire to have a huge chunk of insullation missing. I was really hoping that was the problem. It wasn't. Actually, that could be what killed my opti.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:15 PM

no that code is 99% of the time the harness, take it out & clean the connectors, then make the connectors tighter inside so they crab the pins better. Next, spray some contact cleaner in the opti (not much just enough) & use a very fine file & Q-tip to clean the contacts, I bet you the problem will disapear. This is very common with optis.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:02 PM

I told ya to use my extra opti harness to test it.... but nooooo....
Old 05-18-2004, 04:46 PM
Eff

I replaced the opti, not the harness. however the harness is in perfect shape, and when I tested it for resistance. it came out exactly the same as a new one, .02 ohms on each wire.

When I replaced the opti, the distributer seal was leaking quite badly. oil had been getting in to the opti. I assumed I had found my problem.

I replaced the seal and the water pump seal. put it back togather and took it for a drive. I got on it pretty hard to make sure the problem didn't return when the ignition advanced. No problems

But as soon as I killed the engine I sprung a coolant leak, shooting right on the opti.

Now it still does the same thing. only the check engine light rarely comes on and only for a few seconds. I guess it's not quite as bad either.

I only test drive it for about 10 minutes so I could have missed something. do you think that leak could have ****ed it up?
Old 05-20-2004, 08:19 AM
Eff

Well, I messed around with the pcm yesterday. Removed all the EGR and AIR switches. No SES lights! driving better to. still backfires most of the time above 3000 - 3500 rpm.
any ideas?