LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

felpro oil pan gasket ques...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:05 PM

felpro oil pan gasket ques...

I just picked up the Felpro oil pan gasket today. After reading through other threads, some of you say too put it on dry and some say to use rtv. Just looking for some answers on what you guys did when you changed yours and how did it hold up. I'll probably be changing it out this weekend sometime.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:14 PM

use a small amount of rtv around the corners where the block meets the front cover and rear main seal adapter.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:53 PM

cool, thanks!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:57 PM

I installed mine dry and it leaks at the front seal.
I read the instructions supplied with the gasket and searched and decided to give the instructions a try. Bad idea.
Now I will have to go back and drop the Pan again.........and seal it with RTV
Old 06-24-2008, 11:04 PM

i wouldn't use rtv, i would use a permatex product called the right stuff.

i work at oreilly's and have seen too many ppl use rtv on the perma-dry gaskets and it just turns it rock hard and very brittle.

btw yeah i installed mine dry and no leaks yet, but since my dipstick tube hits my windage tray it wouldn't hurt my feelings if i had to drop the pan to fix it. lol it would be nice to have a dipstick.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:06 PM

The right stuff is amazing..its almost like tar..very sticky
Old 06-24-2008, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jazsun
The right stuff is amazing..its almost like tar..very sticky
yeah its bad ***! i used it on my intake, then realized i had take it back off and HOLY HELL that stuff is strong.

the permatex rep says thats what the military uses for almost every gasket. and is the gm recommended fix for leaking northstar engines.

also the directions say you can apply it and wait only 5 min before putting the engine back in use!!! idk if i would go that far in trusting it but its deff. some good stuff.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by greenmachinedriver
use a small amount of rtv around the corners where the block meets the front cover and rear main seal adapter.
That is what GM does on all their crate engines. I like to use Ultra Grey but the stuff from GM is excellent.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:33 PM

I thought I read somewhere that RTV was not to be used on rubber gaskets. What about this stuff Permatex® Ultra Rubber Gasket Sealant & Dressing
Old 06-25-2008, 08:49 PM

Buy the one piece felpro and put right stuff in on each end and along the rails..not much on the rails. Having a one piece gasket is awesome, sorry i forgot what the part number is right now..
Old 06-25-2008, 11:58 PM

felpro's 1 piece oil pan gasket set is os34500r
Old 06-26-2008, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by kylersaulsbury
yeah its bad ***! i used it on my intake, then realized i had take it back off and HOLY HELL that stuff is strong.

the permatex rep says thats what the military uses for almost every gasket. and is the gm recommended fix for leaking northstar engines.

also the directions say you can apply it and wait only 5 min before putting the engine back in use!!! idk if i would go that far in trusting it but its deff. some good stuff.
Ya I put it on my intake too, one word of advice to future users...dont try and move it/ smooth it with your finger it will stick and **** up the whole thing. the funny thing Is...I think I did the classic, slid the rear of the intake on and pushed most of the sealant off...but it still has no leaks...that ****s just that good.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:31 PM

Thanks for all the input guys, looks like i'm gonna get the mr gasket stuff.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:00 AM

Permatex Ultra-Black works very well also. I've used both the Right-stuff and Ultra-black and had very good results with both using it only on the front/rear rail ends.
I don't think I've had a leak yet since discovering this stuff on 3 oil pans and many intake jobs, even a few valve covers on older non-LT1 cars.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by kylersaulsbury
i wouldn't use rtv, i would use a permatex product called the right stuff.

i work at oreilly's and have seen too many ppl use rtv on the perma-dry gaskets and it just turns it rock hard and very brittle.
I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I used permatex 2 on a stock gasket and ended up with it leaking on both ends. Upon pulling the pan(along with the engine), I found the above quote to be very true.

That #2 had gotten rock hard and brittle. There were bits of it trapped in my oil pickup screen.

I have purchased a Fel-Pro gasket and it is thicker than the stock gasket, but based on the above feedback....I'm going to use the right stuff on it. I don't want to have to do this again.

Last edited by ACE1252; 04-28-2009 at 03:21 AM. Reason: spelling ownz me!

Quick Reply: felpro oil pan gasket ques...