LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Fans broke?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:08 AM

Fans broke?

correct me if I am wrong but when i have key on engine off my fans should be running correct?

backstory started car up to warm up before heading to work this morning. came out to leave and car was overheating(hopefully no serious damage done). shut ot down cycled ignition after a few minutes and temp started to climb again. turned it off then did key on engine off and couldnt hear my fans running, turned on defrost and couldnt hear fans running either but the heater fan is loud and could have drowned them out.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:32 AM

Re: Fans broke?

Fans won't automatically come on in the KO/EOff position, but your should be due to the engine temps.

start checking fuses, relays, see what's blown.

Doubtful that both fans would crap out at the same time, but I've seen stranger.

Shbox has a great article on testing the temps sensors here: TECH TIPS

Here is the gist of his work on fans:

~Fans are not operational at any time~

Check fan fuses in the underhood fuse/relay panel
Check fan relays (same location). Aside from getting out any electrical equipment to test the relay, you can swap it with another one (such as the fog lamp relay) and test for function. See if the relay works for the fog lamps and/or the swapped-in relay makes your fans work. Nearly all the relays in the panel are the same, except for maybe the ABS relay.
You can jumper two pins on the DLC that should cause the fans to come on. 1993-1994 cars with the 12 pin DLC can jumper pins A and B. On a 1993, that is the same way that you would retrieve trouble codes from the ecm. The 1994 won't give you any codes, but the fans will engage. 1995-1997 uses pins 5 and 6 on the 16 pin DLC to initiate what is called "field service enable mode". That will cause the fans to come on and operate most sensors for sanity checking. After placing the jumper on the correct pins, turn the key to ON (don't start). If the fans work after jumpering the DLC, your PCM is capable of operating the fans and all fan wiring/relays should be ok.
Deeper problems can be solved through testing and using the wiring schematic.

~Fans don't come on except when the a/c or SES is on~

~Temp gauge continues to rise with no automatic fan operation~

With a scan tool, check to see what temp the PCM is seeing from the sensor in the water pump. Make sure you are aware of the temps the fans come on (stated in the beginning of this article). If the temp it sees is incorrectly low, it won't know to turn the fans on. Another possibility is that the temp is really ok, but the gauge is reading wrong. That is why you need to use the scan tool to see and compare the readings. Info on testing wiring and sensor can be found here.
If that looks ok, then your PCM may have issues. You could always try resetting the PCM by pulling the PCM BAT fuse for about 30 seconds.

All credit to Shbox here, this is all his work, not mine. That guy is an F-body GOD.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:57 AM

so fans do work. jumpered dlc pins 5 and 6 with key on engine off. Got out the laptop and datamaster and let the car run for well over a half hour and the temps stayed normal now. Guess maybe I just couldnt hear the fans working before.

there are a couple drops of coolant puddling on the ground. cannot see where it is coming from yet. dripping off the tranny lines. wondering if maybe i have a hose that is too old and it had collapsed on itself on first start this morning and restricted coolant flow. hmmm guess im not goin to work today while i figure this out.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by SkiBumDreams
so fans do work. jumpered dlc pins 5 and 6 with key on engine off. Got out the laptop and datamaster and let the car run for well over a half hour and the temps stayed normal now. Guess maybe I just couldnt hear the fans working before.

there are a couple drops of coolant puddling on the ground. cannot see where it is coming from yet. dripping off the tranny lines. wondering if maybe i have a hose that is too old and it had collapsed on itself on first start this morning and restricted coolant flow. hmmm guess im not goin to work today while i figure this out.
What do you have your fans set to come on at? I assume with the datamaster you can change parameters?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:11 AM

not positive where it is set at but they always regulated the temp at around 185 on the gauge
Old 03-21-2013, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Randy Bilyea
What do you have your fans set to come on at? I assume with the datamaster you can change parameters?
Datamaster is a monitoring program-not a programmer. So, no, you can't change anything.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Datamaster is a monitoring program-not a programmer. So, no, you can't change anything.
God? Is that you?

I forget which program I used to change my settings now. RT Tuner maybe?

WinFlash? CATS? I't's been a few months, I'd have to grab my laptop to be sure.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:25 PM

haha I will forever read Shoebox posts in Morgan Freemans voice

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 03-21-2013, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Randy Bilyea
God? Is that you?

I forget which program I used to change my settings now. RT Tuner maybe?

WinFlash? CATS? I't's been a few months, I'd have to grab my laptop to be sure.
CATS or RT Tuner would do it.

Originally Posted by slick1hunting
haha I will forever read Shoebox posts in Morgan Freemans voice
What, no James Earl Jones?

Fred/Injuneer is the one who needs a voice. He's a moderator and has more power than I do.

You guys are comedians.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:44 PM

haha thats awesome. I will give you James earl Jones and give Fred Morgan freeman and ill enjoy this site even more. lol

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android