LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Exhaust system questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 06:29 PM

Exhaust system questions

Hi everyone.
I´m new to this board and I´m from Iceland so you might notice some typos.
Anyway, I own a '94 Z28 A4 and I want a new exhaust system.
I´ve been thinking about getting Kooks LT headers and the GMMG chambered system.
I´ve read a lot of posts on this forum and the problem is that I don't understand all of the words so sometimes I have to read between the lines.
For example, what is the difference of a cat and a cat back?
If I get the Kooks LT and the GMMG system I will need something in there between, and that would be a Y-pipe right? Do you recommend any specific Y-pipe?
Will this setup work or will I need something else? How do you guys think it will sound? I don't want to be too loud when ideling and driveing through the neighborhood but I want it to be loud with a deep tone when I hit the gas.
Also, does the GMMG system have a muffler? And would this stetup pass emissions in your state?
Thanks.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:37 PM

Re: Exhaust system questions

Originally Posted by Climax
Hi everyone.
I´m new to this board and I´m from Iceland so you might notice some typos.
Anyway, I own a '94 Z28 A4 and I want a new exhaust system.
I´ve been thinking about getting Kooks LT headers and the GMMG chambered system.
I´ve read a lot of posts on this forum and the problem is that I don't understand all of the words so sometimes I have to read between the lines.
For example, what is the difference of a cat and a cat back?
If I get the Kooks LT and the GMMG system I will need something in there between, and that would be a Y-pipe right? Do you recommend any specific Y-pipe?
Will this setup work or will I need something else? How do you guys think it will sound? I don't want to be too loud when ideling and driveing through the neighborhood but I want it to be loud with a deep tone when I hit the gas.
Also, does the GMMG system have a muffler? And would this stetup pass emissions in your state?
Thanks.
Cat = Catalytic converter
Cat back= The exhaust piping from the cat to the rear of the car, including the muffler, chambered piping or resonator.

Kooks makes a y-pipe for their headers. Sound? Purely subjective...with a cat it will be less 'raspy' sounding than without, and will be louder without a cat. The GMMG uses a chambered pipe in lieu of a muffler, and the cat back itself doesn't affect emissions whatsoever.

We do have laws regarding sound db limits though.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:07 AM

All right.
Thanks for the info.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:31 AM

What he said and running an offroad pipe in place of the cat(s) will most likely affect emissions here in the states...I personally though would just run the highflow cat(s) because the car will sound better without the rasp of an offroad pipe...It will just be a little quieter overall with the cat in...Although I'll actually be using a Dynomax Race Magnum bullet muffler in place of the cat with Mac mid-length headers on my LT1 which will nearly give me the volume of the offroad pipe, but kill any rasp at the same time...

BTW, I run that same exact set-up (Kooks LT's w/ their highflow catted Y-pipe & the GMMG cat-back) on my LS1 and I must say it is an absolutely unreal sound! The deep tone is very loud, yet so defined all the way up to redline. I haven't really heard any 4th gen sound better before. Well, actually I have, it was a '94 A4 Z28 that had Mac headers, highflow cat, & the GMMG and it was ridiculously "deep" in tone. My '95 should sound like that by Wednesday night of next week as I'm having the Mac's installed then...

Good luck and good choice if that's what you go with,

Mike