LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Everyones take on the huge tach shift lite subject.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 03:20 PM

Id just go with a shift light..

Cody
Old 12-25-2003, 09:57 AM

Thanks Fred

I was searching post for and saw were "Don't Look Back" stated that guys with automatics did not need tach's.
Thanks for the response Fred, I too am going with a turbo 400 with a manual valve body.
For those of you that don't know, I now must shift the car 1, 2, 3; everytime the car is driven.
Yes, the car is a Track car but I know some guys that street these transmissions.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:20 AM

I have a huge 5" tach with a huge shift light in my auto. Granted I turn it harder than most to 7 grand....

I've got thoughts on it though : Accuracy of the tach, the fact I have memory recall on it. The shift light did not cost an extra dime, so if I sell it later, someone with an manual trans will be able to use it easily. I set the shift light at 2 grand most of the time on long highway drives, my cruise control doesn't work and 2 grand is 65 mph (I can't get any tickets and that big f'ing light makes sure of it). I use the light to keep my foot out of it, set it for 5500 rpm daily driving. I'm getting out of control if that light comes on and reminds me i'm running too hard.
I guess I use it as something to maintain my foot

-Shannon
Old 12-25-2003, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

I think those Giant tacks are pointless and just an obstruction to vision. I have digital gauges and I tacked my RPM's up to the MSD...I also ajusted the needle so it matched the RPM Tach. The box has a 6.5K Rev limiter. So I just look at the RPM tack and shift off of there. Very accurate no math needed it's all digital...Plus if you want to add a light MSD makes a mid sized one that looks like you can hid it in the dash somewhere.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:13 PM

they look like *** and block too much of your view. and i really dont like drilling into my dash. once the holes are there they are there for good.

i have a harlan shift light hidden from view. only watch the tach for burnouts and launch rpms after that i just watch for the light and shift
Old 12-25-2003, 02:44 PM

Wow this is an old thread... I mounted mine without drilling any holes and it's mounted properly. And having a tach with 200 rpm separations is necessary IMO. I would not rely solely on a shift light either, and besides, I like to see the needle flying!!!!!!
Old 12-25-2003, 02:54 PM

If your tach doesn't work then i would buy one but other than that i would buy just a shiftlite. Nothing looks worse then a mild car with a huge tach on the dashboard in there when the stock one works. I think the stock tach is off by like 500rpm but a shiftlite works off the computer so when the light goes on shift. But like the other people said unless your shiftin your car above 7000rpm then i would leave the stock one in there.
Old 12-25-2003, 06:31 PM

i would only know this because i have driven one before.

but lower model civics have no tachs. The civic CX for example, and most DX's dont have tachs. When they decide to race their 73hp beast, they must know how much they are winding up their monster and know when to shift for optimal horsepower. Many of the civic owners need them because the stock tach doesnt go high enough in the RPM range to register their new B16 motor is spinning 9k RPM

that is the origin of the "ricers" using huge 5" tachs
Old 12-25-2003, 08:53 PM

Monster Tachs been around forever nothing ricer about em.
They look great on anything Pro Street and some people do need them. Besides its your car and you should do what you want with it, I always had monster Tachs with shiftlites in my older musclecars but I don,t like the way it looks on my 4th Gen, I had one laying around and mocked it up in my Camaro and it just didn,t look right, but that does not mean someone else won,t like the way it looks.
Do what YOU want to do.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:49 PM

I have one I like it a lot, I don't care what anyone else says!! I could do either for teh same price so I decided to get teh light and tach. I am happy I went with that becasue it looks sweet and it is accu8rate. I gained about 400 rpms with that tach caue stock is not accurate at all. do you what you like, it is all matter of preference!
Old 12-26-2003, 11:02 PM

Ive got one, I thought it would look cool and it does, i mounted it on my dash right under the mirror. After installing it i saw that it is always reading 400 rpm lower than my stock tach so i did some reading to see which one is more accurate. I have an automatic transmission and the stock tach says it shifts at 6000 exactly at wide open throttle. After reading up on this i found that that is incorrect seeming how the stock rev limiter is at 5800 which is exactly where the rev limiter kicks in on the monster tach. I thought it was worth it and trust me you definatly know when to shift. The light is a little to bright if you ask me.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

Those frying pan tacks are a waste of money. Personally I think they belong in C5-A cockpits and Top fuel dragsters when your going sub 7 seconds and you don't have time to look for a tiny little tack to shift...other than that for us sub Mach 1 guys I think it's a waste of loot. Makes your car look like your cooking pancakes on your dash...and why have a searchlight frying pan tach in an auto? Reminds me of this tiem I was driving down the highway....and this kid in this 93 accord rolls up with a basicly stock apearingand sounding car...minus the joe bazooka mufflers..all I could see in my rear was his super Gigantic Tachometer in the middle of his dash.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:10 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Heatmaker
Those frying pan tacks are a waste of money. Personally I think they belong in C5-A cockpits and Top fuel dragsters when your going sub 7 seconds and you don't have time to look for a tiny little tack to shift...other than that for us sub Mach 1 guys I think it's a waste of loot. Makes your car look like your cooking pancakes on your dash...and why have a searchlight frying pan tach in an auto? Reminds me of this tiem I was driving down the highway....and this kid in this 93 accord rolls up with a basicly stock apearingand sounding car...minus the joe bazooka mufflers..all I could see in my rear was his super Gigantic Tachometer in the middle of his dash.
Your stuborness is only exceded by your ignorance. Tell me how to read a 7,400rpm redline on a stock tach.

But then, you are entitled to your opinion, as uniformed as it may be .

Have a nice day.

Click here

Last edited by Injuneer; 12-27-2003 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by Injuneer
Your stuborness is only exceded by your ignorance. Tell me how to read a 7,400rpm redline on a stock tach.

But then, you are entitled to your opinion, as uniformed as it may be .

Have a nice day.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:54 AM

Originally posted by revtime
Monster Tachs been around forever nothing ricer about em.
They look great on anything Pro Street and some people do need them. Besides its your car and you should do what you want with it, I always had monster Tachs with shiftlites in my older musclecars but I don,t like the way it looks on my 4th Gen, I had one laying around and mocked it up in my Camaro and it just didn,t look right, but that does not mean someone else won,t like the way it looks.
Do what YOU want to do.
I agree totally. On a street car with little to no mods its just too big and doesnt look right. Kinda like wearing dress shoes with your Lakers shorts and jersey. But if you got yourself a kickass strip car I think it looks good...just matches. Plus these guys need it on the strip.

Quick Reply: Everyones take on the huge tach shift lite subject.