LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Engine and transmission swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 10:56 PM

Engine and transmission swap

I have a 92 RS Camaro and I want a new transmission. Right now I have the automatic that comes stock and a 305 v8. I searched all over the net and found that some 92 Camaro owners had the t56 installed, a 6 speed manual transmission. I've heard that a new one costs $2100 + labor for installation, plus I was told I would need a speedo calibration box by Dakota Digital in order to have my speedometer work. Does anyone here know anything about this? I would also like a much more powerful engine installed, and I'm looking at the lt1 they started putting in z28s in 93, I've found 92 RS Camaros on the internet that have had this work done. The problem I'm running into is finding a place that will do this kind of work for me. The local chevy dealer wont touch this job with a 10 foot pole! I'm in St. Louis BTW. How much would it cost, roughly, to have a t56 (or any manual for that matter) and a new lt1 installed in my 92 RS? What type of place will do this work for me? I probably only have enough for the transmission swap right now (about 4k), would it be a bad idea to do the transmission and THEN have the lt1 installed later when my current engine fails, or would it be cheaper to have the lt1 and t56 installed at the same time (if thats even what I end up putting in my car of course, I still dont know much). And if I had the lt1 and t56, I would have about 275 horse power, right? Would I also then need new suspension and/or sub frame connectors? Anything like that? Where would I buy a clutch and shifter, and would it be a big deal to have that installed since my car is an automatic right now? But I'm ready to do the tranny swap as soon as I find out where I can have this work done. I could certainly use a lot of advice! Thanks for any help.

-Matt
Old 02-07-2003, 12:15 AM

Tobe honest unless you just absolutley love your car, I'd just sell it and use the cash you have you'd drop on 93-95 LT1/T56 car, it will be WAY chaper in the long run and less headaches overall, you won't realise all the nickel, and diming that will kill you when you undertake this type of deal, PLUS if you pay someone to do it, you gonning to get raped. This is a several day, not several hour stuff your talking about here. Most shops charge $30+ per hour (The local dealer here charges $65 per hour)

I would just get a used LT1 car if I was you. I have a friend that did a LT1/T56 swap into his 94 Firebird, and it was a TON of work, I wasn't there when he did it, BUT I have seen pictures and talked to him, this is not something you'd want to pay to have done
Old 02-07-2003, 12:18 AM

Thumbs up

BTW I noticed that your from St.Louis, if your interested you should stop by www.mofba.com

It is the Missouri F-Body association page, check it out!
Old 02-07-2003, 12:57 AM

I've already invested 17 grand in this Camaro, so I'm not going to sell it, that would be stupid at this point. Unfortunately I can not do the work myself. I have to have it done somewhere. I was told that installing a t56 into a car like mine isnt that big a deal, and labor for it would probably be about 1000 bucks. Dont you think thats about right, just for the transmission at least? Cuz the t56 is about 2100 new, so at labor cost and your at about 3 grand. I'm gonna check out that link now.

-Matt
Old 02-07-2003, 01:53 AM

Dude if your keeping the car then do the full swap. I see LT1\T56 combos go for 2500 on ebay all the time and even here in the land of the no used car parts I've seen them for that much. You need all the electronics, you can use headers for your third gen. I think if I were you I'd at least pull the motor and tranny yourself and put the LT1 in, it basically a Small block chevy. There are companies that make the tranny mount. I think one of your hardest things is going to be mounting the pedals and master cylinder. I've done the A4 to T56 swap there is no magic. Probaly look for a 5 spd 3rd gen pedal assembly. I know this has been done a BUNCH of times so find someone who has done it and talk to them.

If you are going to pay someone to do everything then I would just build a gen I small block and but a richmond 6 speed behind it.

But I'd just jump in and start doing it yourself I mean you have a HUGE FREAKIN HUGE engine bay it would be easy as heck. You are right there are companies that make conversion stuff for the gauges. There was a guy that put an LS1 in a third gen!
Old 02-07-2003, 11:45 AM

I cant do the work myself. I have no where to do the work, I have never worked on anything like this, I have no tools, it just wont work. I must have someone do the job for me. I think I've found an automotive place around here that will do the job, so should I just tell them what I want installed and have them do the job, or should I go out and find everything on my own, have it delivered to them, and then have them start working? How much would a new lt1/t56 cost? Is it very risky to get a used lt1/t56? Whats the price difference between new/used, and I would love to hear an estimate on what labor for a job like this would cost, but no one seems to know. Is the t56 in 93 z28 Camaros?

-Matt
Old 02-07-2003, 11:51 AM

If you've got 4k now, your not far from owning a 4th gen right off the bat, just a thought.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:58 AM

maybe this can help a little:

http://www.skulte.com/T56.html

there are more sites out there just like that, but i can't find 'em now...sorry
Old 02-07-2003, 12:04 PM

I know I could get a 4th gen, but I dont want one. I've put in about 17 thousand bucks maintaining my car over the past 2 and a half years so selling it isnt an option. I've actually talked to Andris Skulte from skulte.com and he said that a t56 would cost about 2100 new and labor maybe a grand or so.
Old 02-07-2003, 12:25 PM

That $2,100 for a new T-56 is for a bare transmission. Here is a list of parts you will need. This information is taken from Skulte's web site. He has a great write up on the swap.

T56 6 speed
Fabricated Crossmember
T56 Bellhousing
T56 Shifter
T56 Flywheel for 1 Piece Rear Mainseal Crank
or Centerforce 2 Piece Rear Mainseal Flywheel - CTF-700107
T56 Clutch Disc
T56 Clutch Pressure Plate
T56 Sealed Master/Slave Cylinder
T56 Tranny to Bellhousing Bolts
T56 Pressure Plate to Flywheel Bolts
Shifter Bolts (I reused the T5 shifter bolts)
Transmission Tunnel Heat Boot/Bellows (I reused the T5 boot)
Bellhousing to Engine Block Bolts (I reused the T5 bolts)

You will also need a pedal set from a 5 spd third gen.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:40 PM

Jeff, thanks for the info. How much do you think all of those parts, including the bare transmission, would cost new and also used? Would you just get used parts or do you think thats too risky? I'm really just trying to figure out what kind of money I'm looking at. I've heard on top of that, labor will probably run about 1000 bucks.

-Matt
Old 02-07-2003, 02:50 PM

Yeah if your going to do this stop think new cause that is crazy bank, you can get most of the parts above in good condition for 1500. You figure another 2K in engine, I would guess 2-4 thousand in labor. They have to mount computer cut holes for stuff a little fabrication. Don't know about the cooling system, Plus all the wiring.

If you want an honest opinion which I think is what some of these guys are trying to tell you. We've all put 17K in our cars that is just the name of the game. IF you don't have tools, place to work on it, any knowledge to do so. Then just buy a 4th gen Even andLS1.

If you knew what you were doing and could do most of the work yourself then I would say go for it. Whats going to happen if you pour another 7-10 into your car and total it and insurance pays you 2 grand for it?? Thats a risk I take but you know I could buy my car back and part it out.

Whats going to happen when something goes wrong in the wiring and you have to pay a mechanic a grand to fix something because it is a custom setup niether or you know what is going on?

Go drive a low mileage LT1 50K miles with an M6 in very good shape find a good one cause alot are trashed. The fourth gen is a better car I've owned both, now not to say 3rd gens aren't sweet and can't be made into an even better car but not when your paying for labor.

To answer you question yes an 93 F-body has a T56 it has different gearing and you can buy one new from Salle Chevy in OR for 1700.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:15 PM

I would not be afraid to buy used from a reputable salvage yard. High Performance Salvage has a good write up on the LT1 swap and can hook you up with the parts. Check it out here. The go to swap tips scroll half way down the page and look for LT1 swap.

Or check on Ebay Motors for auctions like this.

I did see a T-5 swap auction while I was searching. Check it out here.

I would think you could collect the used parts for the tranny for around $2,000.

Last edited by Jeff94TA; 02-07-2003 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:57 AM

I appreciate the comments but theres no way I'm going to sell my Camaro. Its an investment I'll never be will to give up on. I didnt have the exterior restored for nothing! It will suck to pay all this money, but I'm willing, it wont be an issue in the end. I know every teenager says they will keep their car forever and then sell it, but I'm just not one of those. I'm in college now, and if I have to wait til I finish college and get a real job to turn the car into exactly what I want, so be it... but as things stand now, I can afford to have a manual transmission installed. The only reason I have a job is so that I can put money into my Camaro, because everything else is covered for me right now. I have no interest in a 4th gen... I think most of them are kind of ugly actually. I dont need an incredibly fast car, either, I'd settle for 275-300 horse power. Actually I've searched the internet and found 92 Camaros with the 305 with rebuilt engines that produce that kind of power... and then I wouldnt need to swap anything. But anyway, I've got a good looking car, but I've always wanted it to be manual, so its going to happen now. 4k should be enough for the transmission swap, including labor. Even if my car was totalled, as long as the accident wasnt my fault, the insurance company would have a hard time saying my car is totalled when I bring in receipts saying I spent over 20k in the last two years on the car... I've seen this happen before. Check out www.angelfire.com/tx/brune this guys car was wrecked, insurance tried to tell him its totalled and he was like NO, and he showed them how much money he put into it, they had no choice but to pay for the repair. And if there was some strange electrical problem, I certainly would hope that whoever installs my tranny would know what they did so that when I bring it in they can fix it easily enough without the repair cost being insane. So yeah, I'm turning this car into what I've always wanted it to be, I'm just looking for advice on how to do that! I'm considering used parts, I'll decide once I get a more exact estimate from whoever will do the work for me. Jeff, thanks for those links, I'm gonna go check them out now.

-Matt