LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Engine oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 06:51 PM

Engine oil cooler

Did all Z28's have an engine oil cooler, or was it just the SS and the B4C? I thought it was one of the SS upgrades. I could be wrong
Old 10-11-2004, 07:40 PM

Re: Engine oil cooler

Option on the Z.......
Old 10-11-2004, 07:57 PM

where is it located at?
Old 10-11-2004, 08:02 PM

It's located on top of the oil filter connection. Look for two metal lines going into the filter, then the line will run along the passenger side on the engine into the rad / w.p. Also I belive the code is KC4 on your code.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:12 PM

It's an adapter between the oil filter boss and the oil filter. Two lines come out of it and go to the radiator. Before anyone tells me it is a tranny cooler, The lines come out of the OIL FILTER BOSS, and I have an M6 anyway. I was just wondering about it 'cause I didnt notice it until I had it on the lift while we were getting ready to drop the engine. I pulled my window sticker, and its not listed as an option.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:15 PM

Yeah i had it on my Z, till it broke and i just got it removed completely.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by 94patriotredZ
It's an adapter between the oil filter boss and the oil filter. Two lines come out of it and go to the radiator. Before anyone tells me it is a tranny cooler, The lines come out of the OIL FILTER BOSS, and I have an M6 anyway. I was just wondering about it 'cause I didnt notice it until I had it on the lift while we were getting ready to drop the engine. I pulled my window sticker, and its not listed as an option.
But the lines carry coolant, not oil. Its a worthless cooler, and is known to cause a number of problems. I'd take it off.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:30 PM

well I took it off, didnt want the poss. restriction if the screen got clogged. just exra weight to me since it doesnt really cool the oil. the reason it has coolant in it is, it will stabalize the temp. of the oil by adding the extra heat to the coolant. then the rad. has a little extra duty sheding a little more heat. in cold climates, the coolant will also heat up quicker then the oil, therefore heating the oil until the temps match. I want to install a universal oil cooler, so it will function just like my remote trans cooler. but I wont worry about it until I want to start roadracing it. no need on a street car/drag car really.
chris
Old 10-11-2004, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Spinner
Its a worthless cooler,
Have you plotted oil temp vs time for a variety of uses with and without to come to that conclusion?
Old 10-12-2004, 10:39 AM
Administrator

In 94, the oil cooler came with the Z-rated tires, on the M6 cars.

I disagree that it is useless. GM bought the units from Moroso. I've been running mine for 10 years with no problems, and there was no sign of plugging when the engine was torn down for the stroker build. The guys that assembled my engine thought it was worth saving, and they routinely build 1,000+HP LT's.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:15 AM

well, that would explain why it was on me car. thanks
Old 10-12-2004, 11:31 AM

My 94 has one and I left it there. GM must have had a reason for putting them on M6/Z rated tires. Probably all the 1LEs came with them as a standard.
Clogging isn't a problem if you change your oil like you should. If it clogs because of debris, you've got a more serious problem.
TIP.. when replacing the oil filter, check that the oil cooler nut is tight. They tend to work loose. The nut is on the top of the shaft where the filter screws onto. I Pulled my cooler off, cleaned it and put some thread lock to help keep it tight.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:41 PM

exc. if you do like a cam swap and some very small pieces of gasket material that was scraped off gets in there. that didnt happen to me, but it could happen. for me though, as I said, I'll replace it with one that will work by itself when I need to ie. if I go road racing.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:32 PM

GM installed them on these cars, I beleave, because they're the type of cars that people buy to do track and solo racing with. This is the same type of cooler that comes stock on the Vette.
I'll agree that this cooler does serve some purpose, but I think you'll find that most sports track "racer" replace them with a true air/oil cooler. Along with trans. and diff. coolers.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jon A
Have you plotted oil temp vs time for a variety of uses with and without to come to that conclusion?
Yes. And for my driving, there was no difference between oil temps with and without the cooler in summer weather. I cant see the cooler flowing enough to cause a significant change in oil temp. Should the need arise, I'll swap to a real oil cooler.

Quick Reply: Engine oil cooler