LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Engine Doesn't Start...Click Click

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 11:06 PM

Angry Engine Doesn't Start...Click Click

I've been doing a lot of searching lately and none of the info I gathered relates to my problem, at least I don't think it does. I'll try to make this as short and to the point as possible. I'll put the events in order as they happened. The days are not consecutive.

Day 1) Car is up on jack stands getting new fenders, hood, and front bumper put on. Engine will start and run like it should.

Day 2) Car has been wrecked, airbags deployed. Removed airbags along with airbag fuse on dash fuse panel. Also cut out black module attached to left side of passenger airbag, which I think is the VATS module. Also removed gray module from passenger airbag bracket but it is still in the car, just removed from bracket. Hanging there, you could say.

Day 3) Put dash back together and reconnected battery. Tried starting motor but would not crank. Everything in car works besides the starter at this point.
Dash lights that come on in starting position when it clicks are SES and Check "Gages". No security light comes on.

Day 4) After searching this site decide to get madz28 PCM programming to disable VATS.

Day 5) Get PCM back, Ion says VATS is disabled. Put PCM back in car, make sure battery is charged, and try starting motor. Same exact situation as Day 3. Tried starting motor 6 times and just clicked every time, even held key in start position for 10 seconds and NOTHING.

I have no idea what to do to get this darn thing to start. Please help if you can. Thanks.
Tim
Old 01-15-2005, 11:23 PM

Re: Engine Doesn't Start...Click Click

ok, so ure saying nothing is happening when u try to start it, but everything works right?

i ran into that problem.... had to get my car towed to get it fixed... cost me fricking 500+ bux (well i was ripped off but still lol)

the prev owner before me put some sort of alarm system, and when he pulled it out when he sold it, he didnt take it out right, and 2 cables touched eachother and shorted something out.... then another problem was that the ground to that starter (where it was attached onto the car's frame or w/e it attaches to) got loose, so there wasnt a good neg connection...

So all i can say is its most likely a problem like mine.... just gotta take it to someone and have them look through all the cables.... if u know electrical work, i guess u can do it....
Old 01-15-2005, 11:35 PM

The VATS module provides input to two things-the computer and the theft deterrent relay. You remedied the computer part by having the VATS function programmed out. Normally that would be all you need to do, but since you hacked out the module, you must also bypass the relay. You can find schematics on my Tech Page. The relay is to the right of the glovebox.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:37 PM

I know it has to be something that I did when I removed the airbags because the car ran great before I took them out. I'll take pics of the wires that I cut and that gray module that I took off of the airbag bracket and post them tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to get to the bottom of this without going through what you went through. Sorry that happened to you and thanks for the reply.
Tim
Old 01-15-2005, 11:39 PM

Thanks, shoebox. I'll definitely check that out tomorrow and hopefully that will fix it.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:28 PM

Ok, I took a few pictures and I searched some more also. That search feature really helps but it hasn't fixed my problem yet. Here is a pic of all the modules/relays and wires that are currently behind the glove box:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e/Modules1.jpg

And here are all the modules/relays to the right of the glove box:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e/Modules3.jpg

And here is a pic of behind and to the right of the glove box (the upper area of the pic is of the right side air vent next to the glove box:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e/Modules2.jpg

After doing some searching I found this pic, which scares me because there is no passenger airbag bracket in the car anymore and it has mysteriously disappeared. I also assume that this is the relay that I needed to work with.
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/alarm43.JPG

I've come to the conclusion that I am either screwed because that relay was on that bracket and the bracket is gone, or VATS is not my problem. Hopefully VATS isn't the problem. Please offer suggestions.
Tim
Old 01-16-2005, 10:28 PM

ttt
Old 01-17-2005, 09:17 AM

ttt
Old 01-17-2005, 09:16 PM

Did you look at the schematic on my site that shows the colors of the wires you are looking for that go to the relay? You should be able to tell from the schematic how to bypass it. If not, post back.