LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

emissions myth???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

emissions myth???

Is it true that you can unplug 2 fuel injectors and pass emissions???
Old 03-17-2005, 06:31 AM

Re: emissions myth???

It's not a myth, it works. Reason so is because emissions measures percentages and parts per millions. Unpluging an injector dilutes the exhaust with unburned air, thus improving you emissions. It's only worth trying if your close.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

that worked for you in Dover? I want to put a big cam in my car... and emissions is the only thing that's stopping me.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:24 AM

...THAT is unless its like here in texas where the machines are calibrated to tolerate only a certain amount of ambient air in the exhaust stream and simply will not test it due to "dilution low flow". It will also say "dilution low flow" if there is a large exhaust leak or you simply dont put the sniffer in the tailpipe. Ide like to hear how it works for you though, hell it may not dilute it enough for the machine to care. Post back if you do it and get some results

Last edited by lt4 fd; 03-17-2005 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:45 AM

Seems to me like the machine would pick up some flag that there was something wrong due to the unhooked ones and/or codes the car would give. Or would this only be OBDII?
Old 03-18-2005, 10:52 AM

OBDII would probably **** a brick....
Old 03-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Administrator

The extra air in the exhaust would be seen by the O2 sensors. The PCM would start adding fuel to both banks, causing the remaining 3 cylinders on each bank to run pig rich. Probably get a code for "lean" on both banks. Plugs would start to foul, cylinders would start to misfire.

I'd chalk it up to "myth".
Old 03-18-2005, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The extra air in the exhaust would be seen by the O2 sensors. The PCM would start adding fuel to both banks, causing the remaining 3 cylinders on each bank to run pig rich. Probably get a code for "lean" on both banks. Plugs would start to foul, cylinders would start to misfire.

I'd chalk it up to "myth".
I agree. What if you just went down a cylinder completly. Unhook the injector and take out the spark plug so it relieves the pressure. The "extra" air would no longer go into the exhaust but you wouldn't have that cylinder producing "bad" air either? Or am I not being logical here?
Old 03-18-2005, 03:14 PM

get it tuned correctly, and dump a bottle of Guaranteed to pass from auto zone in your tank, you should be fine, I have a few buddies with cam'ed lt1's that dont have a prob..
Old 03-18-2005, 03:20 PM

I really don't think it would be very healthy for your engine to unhook 2 injectors, plus the unburned fuel coming out might send the sniffer crazy.

only thing I can think is get a cutout and find some way of opening it like 1/4 or 1/2 so the sniffer still gets enough to think it's getting everything but some is going out elsewhere. not sure on how sensitive the equipment is though.

also, I've read on here to use some denatured alcohol in your tank because it burns so cleanly.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by DavesLT1
I really don't think it would be very healthy for your engine to unhook 2 injectors, plus the unburned fuel coming out might send the sniffer crazy.

only thing I can think is get a cutout and find some way of opening it like 1/4 or 1/2 so the sniffer still gets enough to think it's getting everything but some is going out elsewhere. not sure on how sensitive the equipment is though.

also, I've read on here to use some denatured alcohol in your tank because it burns so cleanly.
What "unburned fuel" would you be talking about if the injectors are not hooked up?
Old 03-18-2005, 04:12 PM

if you open the cutout its still based on a percentage so it would make no difference since a cutout cannot break apart and separate the nox and hc and co and push it out, it would fail for an exhaust leak anyhow Now that I think about it how would it matter much at all when talking percentage wise I mean the total volume of air from a properly running cylinder is WAY larger than just a dead cylinder.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by lt4 fd
if you open the cutout its still based on a percentage so it would make no difference since a cutout cannot break apart and separate the nox and hc and co and push it out, it would fail for an exhaust leak anyhow Now that I think about it how would it matter much at all when talking percentage wise I mean the total volume of air from a properly running cylinder is WAY larger than just a dead cylinder.
I didn't realize it was a percentage. Your right then, having a cylinder down wouldn't make any differance.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:42 PM

I have my e-test license for ontario canada, (dont know if its the same for the states) but have, done a couple e-tests for friends with similar cars to mine and have got them past, with a really hot thermostat like 225, bottle of sure pass and placement of the sensor as far downstream as possible. They have both passed, barely but passed, I plan to do the same thing for mine in august. I have also low octance fuel helps?
Old 03-18-2005, 06:40 PM

why not add another cat? then remove it after the test is done.

Quick Reply: emissions myth???