LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Electrical Problem.. Maybe you guys can help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 01:31 PM

Thumbs down Electrical Problem.. Maybe you guys can help

Ok here we go. For the past couple weeks I've been noticing that my "check gauges" light keeps on flickering when I rev the motor up. I also started noticing that the batter gauge will fall all most to the "yellow" low line. The only problem I've had electrically was the wires going to the RH O2 sensor and the starter were layed against the header when I 1st installed them and they burnt a little. I pull those wires out and looked through the bundle that got a lil burnt and fixed the problem and re-routed the wires so they wouldn't touch the header and get burnt again and hooked them back up. But anyway, I got the laptop out and was going to see if it was throwing any codes and it was throwing one for the EGR ( that i took off for the LTs) So i took all the EGR codes out and it still does the flickering when rev'ed up and the my volts level drops. I can just let the car sit at idle and the light will flicker and the volts will drop. I can rev the motor up and the light will flicker more but the volts will go back up to normal. I had the ALT and the battery checked out and its all fine.
I'm not sure what in the crap would make the light flicker when the car revs up. I took all the error codes I had out and nothing else is showing up when I go to read the codes but the car will still loose volts for no reason and the light will still flicker. Just wondering if anyone has a clue whats up.
Thanks!
Old 10-11-2003, 01:34 PM

Even though you say your alternator has been checked out, that's a classic example of a bad alternator. Your "check gauges" light will flash because of the yellow level on your volt-meter.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:40 PM

Sound like you have a short or you are grounding out. First place I would look on the burnt insulation, It is probly brittle and no longer working.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by RamAir95TA
Even though you say your alternator has been checked out, that's a classic example of a bad alternator. Your "check gauges" light will flash because of the yellow level on your volt-meter.
Yeah, that sounds like it would be doing it, but it'll flicker then the votls will drop. The light also flickers when i'm reving the car to reving up while i'm driving the car. Thats what I'm not gettin..?? When I rev the car it'll also put the volts back up.. I'm jstu guess its doing that because the alt is charging more at higher rpms

Last edited by YellowTransAm350; 10-11-2003 at 02:42 PM.