LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

electric waterpump ok for daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:46 PM

electric waterpump ok for daily driver?

ok well im having a hell of a time getting that WP seal in my timing cover and it made me think...are there any advantages to an ewp vs a mechanical one? i called summit and they said a csr pump is 185 bucks.... should i just get it? and also is it just bolt on and wire it in or do i have to clearance anything? also how hard is it to wire and would it be ideal for a dd summer only car? i mean is it something i could wire in or is it crazy hard to do?

also here is the only one i could find on summit

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...sr%20lt1&dds=1

can i get it in a different color? i do plan on removing the wp drive if i get this
Old 05-21-2010, 11:46 PM

They do just bolt on but usually do not have the complete kit for a complete install. I think they are short the connectors or something i know they dont have everything you need. There is a set tht does though its on summit raccing and its part #CMB-12-0013. Yep thats it they usually dont have the relay kit for hook up. But this kit has it all. Also this is definately good for a daily driver especially in stop and go traffic due to the mechanical pump slows down at idle since the cam moves slower but the electrical will continue on and would cool the car much better.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Slick-Z
They do just bolt on but usually do not have the complete kit for a complete install. I think they are short the connectors or something i know they dont have everything you need. There is a set tht does though its on summit raccing and its part #CMB-12-0013. Yep thats it they usually dont have the relay kit for hook up. But this kit has it all. Also this is definately good for a daily driver especially in stop and go traffic due to the mechanical pump slows down at idle since the cam moves slower but the electrical will continue on and would cool the car much better.
ok im looking at he meiszer??? hd one with 55gpm...i would like to run a 160 tstat but i dont know how i would do that? do i just put in the 160 thermo and call it a day?
Old 05-22-2010, 01:14 AM

Plop in the thermostat and you must also rescale the on points for the fans in the tuning.
You don't need the HD 55gph one by any means unless your motor has serious heat issues. For the wiring you need a relay that triggers off the Ignition, a fuse holder and some 14awg wire and 1/4" loom.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:59 AM

The electrics free up power by moving LESS water than the mechanical at mid and high rpms. This can be seen in datamaster as RAISED water temps at cruise particularly with the 3Xgpm pumps. Nothing dangerous but just so you understand those who claim how wonderfully they cool and how much water they move lack basic comprehension skills. They cool adequately NOT wonderfully.

IMO they are for cars looking for that last .1 at the track.

The WP seal problems are usually that people don't realize it is TWO seals in one one points inward one outward. They fold the inner one outward and it leaks. Carefully slide the seal over a socket then onto the drive. In my tool set the 1/2"size 1/4"drive deep socket was just right.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:42 AM

I agree with Dwayne that a seal problem isn't a reason to move to an electric water pump. I waould also suggest that the average life of the standard electric pumps out there is probably too short for everyday daily driver usage.

You can certainly get the seals to work properly......
Old 05-22-2010, 08:46 AM

Just remember, when the stock mechanical pump starts to fail it will give you signs (coolant leaking out the weep hole). When the e. water pump fails you will be dead on the road.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Stl94LT1
Just remember, when the stock mechanical pump starts to fail it will give you signs (coolant leaking out the weep hole). When the e. water pump fails you will be dead on the road.
That's true but not really a good warning sign...by the time you notice it you've soaked the OPTI with coolant which is usually a bad thing. To me, that's a reason to not have a mech pump, lol
Old 05-22-2010, 09:26 AM

If you do not want to buy the summit version thats cool. I gave you the part # so you could look at it and see everything your gonna need. Because the other ones dont come with everything. Also as mentioned you really dont need the 55gpm one the 43 gpm would be just fine and i think the summit has an ouput around 35gpm which are all just fine. The truth is to me that the mechanical pumps do last forever mine lasted about 220000 miles and was still good to go i had a thermostat go out but the pump was just fine. It will save you some power by freeing up some cam drag as mentioned in my first post.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by bw_hunter
That's true but not really a good warning sign...by the time you notice it you've soaked the OPTI with coolant which is usually a bad thing. To me, that's a reason to not have a mech pump, lol
Only if you are so braindead you miss the slight belt slipping when the pump is barely weeping and you can't figure out how to properly assemble an opti. The opti can take some moisture just fine if assembled right.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:41 AM

Yeah for sure ive had my old engine leak twice on due to over heating and the water pump gaskets going on and leaked on my opti both times. Still after replacing the gaskets and installing the pump on and drying the opti off it worked both times no problems. My factory actually lasted to about 180000 miles which is fairly crazy in the land of the lt1's
Old 05-22-2010, 11:59 AM

I like the mechanical pump for a DD.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:41 AM

So, just out of curiosity, would it be bad for z28beast to go with a 55gpm pump, then? Can doing that keep his engine "too cool?"
Old 05-23-2010, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by FastandBlue
So, just out of curiosity, would it be bad for z28beast to go with a 55gpm pump, then? Can doing that keep his engine "too cool?"
No, thats what a thermostat is for. The HD pump is better but not required by any means.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:12 AM

Gotcha, ok cool. Yeah, these engines idle so warm that getting something more high flow would definitely be a nice addition to the vehicle.

Quick Reply: electric waterpump ok for daily driver?