LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Electric Cutout Installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 09:51 AM

Electric Cutout Installed

.... AND WOW! This is my new favorite toy! I love it! I have headers going into stock exhaust with a flowmaster muffler, so compared to that the car is extremely deep and loud with the cutout open. I can't hear any leaks coming from the e-cutout either. I have it mounted in the most common spot, after the y-pipe. I love how I have two different exhaust systems with the flip of a switch now hehe . I recommend that everyone get one
Old 09-18-2005, 10:12 AM

Re: Electric Cutout Installed

ive had mine for over a year now... still works flawlessly, and i still think its the best $230 i have spent on the car.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:36 AM

I am still waiting till I do headers and I am going to do it all at once.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:01 AM

I have a cutout too, but it's not electric I've heard the motors like to go out pretty early, so I just said F it and I'll save myself $$. I also have LT's and the stock cat-back with a flowmaster muffler lol. How far back did u place the cutout after the y-pipe? I don't really like the sound of a cutout at normal driving speed, but WOT is amazing.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by 94sinister
I have a cutout too, but it's not electric I've heard the motors like to go out pretty early, so I just said F it and I'll save myself $$. I also have LT's and the stock cat-back with a flowmaster muffler lol. How far back did u place the cutout after the y-pipe? I don't really like the sound of a cutout at normal driving speed, but WOT is amazing.
many of the cheaper brands are known to quit. the DMH i have has a four year warrantyh. Ive used the heck out of it in the year ive had it and its shown no signs of quitting. I think wat burns them up is holding the switch past when the valve closes. I also never touch the switch if i get caught in the rain just in case some water managed to splash up there, and get through the waterproof shrinkwrapping somehow.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:29 AM

Its definitely a fun and worthwhile mod. to have.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:09 PM

I have a QTP cutout on my otherwise stock car, I love it as well I really want LTs Did you replace the I pipe up to the cutout itself? When I do headers/y pipe, I'm going to hack out the stock 2.75" intermediate pipe and put a better flowing 3" up to the cutout... I have a bone stock muffler and everything behind the cutout Would that mask the LTs well once they are on? I want a sleeper.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:35 PM
jst

Where can these be installed?
Old 09-18-2005, 04:29 PM

I went to a "Big Al's Muffler Shop" because thier logo/mascot dude is a gangster looking guy so I figured they wouldn't have a problem doing some "questionable" work to my exhaust... But they were saying its illegal blah blah... So I took it toa shop that the owner has a bunch of hot rods and stuff... A bunch of old guys who were alive in the original muscle car era, they thought it was sweet... They've done cutouts before, I went back to show them the electric piece and they thought it was sweet
Old 09-18-2005, 05:14 PM

is the install an easy diy i hear you have to cut some exhuast out for it to fit

how is the 45$ qtp no leaks or anything ? \
does a cutout in close position alter emissions or inspec. ?

Last edited by WhiteCamaro88; 09-18-2005 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by 94sinister
DMH is known to last as long as they say it will. I don't mind the sound of LT's through stock cat-back with a flowmaster muffler.... but now it just seems really.... dare I say... quiet lol. I am being serious, I drove most of the day today with it open, but when I closed it, it just seemed very quiet. I know it is pretty loud, but I can't shake the feeling haha. I love the sound of the cutout at all speeds, although I haven't gone over 50 for much time yet. I'll find out about highway tomorrow hehe. I placed the cutout under where the back seat is... close to that. I could reach the cutout from just before the rear passenger wheel when I didn't have the DMH on it.... hope that helps to identify the location. If you look under your car, you will see the spot where I put it, it's pretty obvious.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by flatlander757
I have a QTP cutout on my otherwise stock car, I love it as well I really want LTs Did you replace the I pipe up to the cutout itself? When I do headers/y pipe, I'm going to hack out the stock 2.75" intermediate pipe and put a better flowing 3" up to the cutout... I have a bone stock muffler and everything behind the cutout Would that mask the LTs well once they are on? I want a sleeper.
I didn't replace the I pipe up to the cutout, although I might in the near future. It won't cost much at all to do that... I'd like to get tips and do the 3" piping at the same time. I've got other stuff in line before that right now... like tires so I can get under a 2.0 60' hehe. It masks it a bit, but with LT's you get a much deeper sound. Unless someone knows LT1's or really knows cars, they probably can't tell what you have done to your exhaust with a stock muffler... just my guess though, since I had my flowmaster on way before the LT's.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by jst
Where can these be installed?
They can be installed in several places... there are two spots that are pretty common: before the muffler, and a little ways after the I pipe. I'm sure if you search around you can find pictures of different places.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by flatlander757
I went to a "Big Al's Muffler Shop" because thier logo/mascot dude is a gangster looking guy so I figured they wouldn't have a problem doing some "questionable" work to my exhaust... But they were saying its illegal blah blah... So I took it toa shop that the owner has a bunch of hot rods and stuff... A bunch of old guys who were alive in the original muscle car era, they thought it was sweet... They've done cutouts before, I went back to show them the electric piece and they thought it was sweet
Hehe, gotta love the old school admiration Two of my friends own a 94 Mustang GT with a bored/stroked 347. It's a nice car with a lot of sweat/$$$ in it. I took my car over to them last night to show it off and they were very impressed. That made me feel good inside haha. All I need now is my rich condition fixed, some traction, and some gears and it would be a very good race between that Mustang and I....
Old 09-18-2005, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteCamaro88
is the install an easy diy i hear you have to cut some exhuast out for it to fit

how is the 45$ qtp no leaks or anything ? \
does a cutout in close position alter emissions or inspec. ?
You have to cutout some of the pipe for the cutout to fit in and then have it welded up. I've never heard of a $45 QTP..... Mine doesn't sound like it leaks at all when closed. I don't know about emissions.

Quick Reply: Electric Cutout Installed