LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

EGR and AIR Removal while manifolds are already off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 03:47 PM

EGR and AIR Removal while manifolds are already off?

ok im doing my longtubes, about to take off the passenger side manifold and the EGR is right in the way. i have access to most of it because the driver manifold is already off and the y-pipe is already off. how do i go about removing it? ive done searches and come up with half a** answers. it is a 1995 z28 and im guessing the air injection wont work with my mufflex y-pipe and there are no egr ports on my hooker super comps. can someone please give me a good resource on how to do it for my car? im going to go finish removing my pass. manifold thanks!
Old 10-12-2003, 03:56 PM

if you are wanting to take off the tube that runs to the back of the intake just unbolt it. You can weld up the whole in the plate or buy a block off plate. You can also remove the egr and block it off to. No codes will be throw. just make sure you cap off the vacum hose coming off the egr.

If I missunderstood you post I am sorroy.

Sean
Old 10-12-2003, 04:01 PM

If you have hooker super comps you have to delete the AIR and EGR. To do air you will just have to unplug the pump or you can remove the pump and cut the air tube in half right under the crankshaft and remove it too. To do egr just cut the egr tube in half and take the bracket shaped like this (o 0 o) and weld up the center hole and put it back on the intake. Then i took the egr valve off and broke the valve off so i just had the cast iron base then took a piece of house flashing and make a block off plate and sandwiched it in between the intake and the cast iron EGR base. I think you can just leave the valve on and not block it off or anything but i'm not sure i know the way i did it worked.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:17 PM

What I did with the manifold hole is take the tube out of the bracket that looks like this o 0 o and got some high temp gasket material and cut a solid gasket the same shape and bolted it back on.
I purchased a block off plate for the EGR.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:44 PM

the bracket like o O o is that the one on the very back of the intake manifold? i saw a bracket similar to that on the back of the IM when i was disconnecting the passenger side y-pipe. so i just need to pull the plumbing off of there and block off the holes? where did yall install your block off plates at? pictures would be awesome, i had a bolt come off in the head so i have some spare time to gut the whole system if i just knew exactly what to do
Old 10-12-2003, 09:50 PM

I did the same thing during my LT install. !EGR, and !AIR is very straightforward. I bought EGR plates from SJM and taking out the AIR pump is easy. 3 bolts, a couple of hoses and its out. I used either 1/8" or 3/8" or a combo of both to block off anything left open afterward.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:57 PM

so if you just plug up the egr it wont have any negative effects?
Old 10-13-2003, 12:36 AM

Homemade polished stainless steel EGR blockoff plates.
http://www.97ta.com/lt4/lt480.jpg
http://www.97ta.com/lt4/lt481.jpg
Old 10-13-2003, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by reuter
so if you just plug up the egr it wont have any negative effects?
What year is your car? Might want to include that basic info in your signature, since all years are not the same. [EDIT] OK see it in the body of the text... my bad, but it might make sense to just put it in the signature where everyone can see it. All years include a diagnostic routing in the PCM to detect the flow of EGR recycle when the valve is commanded to open. In the 96/97 cars it is a 99.9% certainty that you will get a code and an SES light if the EGR valve is deleted, and the PCM is not reprogrammed to eliminate the diagnostic. In the 93-95 cars, the dioagnostic is there, but it isn't as sensitive to the missing valve, so I'd say less than 20% see a code/SES light on those years.

Here is a photo of the back of the intake. As a minimum, you must block off the opening toward the passenger side, or the opening where the valve goes. Its best to block off both of them to avoid a problem with any leakage. SJM makes the block off plates.

It seems like you might also be mixing up the various parts of the EGR and AIR systems.... unless you have a 93, they are totally independant.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by AsianSensation
Homemade polished stainless steel EGR blockoff plates.
http://www.97ta.com/lt4/lt480.jpg
http://www.97ta.com/lt4/lt481.jpg
What is the oval shaped one in the middle for??
Old 10-13-2003, 11:54 AM
Administrator

That plate is used to block off the connection on the #8 exhaust manifold tube, or #8 primary on a set of headers. IF the headers are equipped with the EGR connection. Hooker LT's do not come with the EGR connection.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:04 PM

ok so in this picture http://members.aol.com/Fredrick518/Photos/bkofint.jpg i need to remove the black thing towards the passenger side (along with all those small vacuum lines) and block that off, then block off the hole toward the passenger side also? then just remove all the lines (ones plugged into pass and driver manifolds) then im good to go? does napa or any other parts store carry a plate that can be used to block off the ports on the intake manifold?

now the AIR system, i know it is used to inject air into the catalytic converter, but when i removed my y-pipe and cat, i did not see any lines tied into them? i can see the air pump (black cylinder looking thing) from underneath the car and im sure i can remove it, but what needs to be plugged for that? do any stores carry plates that can be used as block-offs for it? itd be real nice to get all this junk out while the engine bay is nice and open. thanks!
Old 10-13-2003, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by reuter
ok so in this picture http://members.aol.com/Fredrick518/Photos/bkofint.jpg i need to remove the black thing towards the passenger side
That is the EGR valve.
(along with all those small vacuum lines) and block that off,
There is only a vacuum line coming from the drivers side of the intake manifold. The one in the picture coming from the passenger side has simply fallen off the fuel pressure regulator. That one stays. When you remove the vacuum line from the EGR valve, you either need to plug that line, or consider removing the solenoid on the side of the intake that it connects to, and the vacuum line from the side of the intake to the solenoid. Then put a small vacuum cap on the port on the intake manifold. Then, use the large triangular plate to block the hole where the EGR valve was.
then block off the hole toward the passenger side also?
Yes, you use the diamond shaped plate to block that one.
then just remove all the lines (ones plugged into pass and driver manifolds) then im good to go?
Now you appear to be mixing up the AIR and EGR systems. EGR is a single convoluted metal tube that runs from the #8 exhaust manifold runner (passenger side) to the back corner of the intake manifold. That is the only EGR connection to the exhaust.

The AIR system has two hoses that come off the AIR pump on the front of the engine, and go to the top/middle of the exhaust manifolds on both the drivers and passenger sides. Those lines can be removed. If your new headers have the holes for those lines, you need to plug the holes... typically an M22 oil drain plug will do the job. Then you would remove the AIR pump from the front of the engine and plug the air supply connection on your air intake system with a 5/8" vacuum cap.

does napa or any other parts store carry a plate that can be used to block off the ports on the intake manifold?
No. You aren't going to find EGR blockoffs at NAPA. That is why several people have told you about SJM Manusfacturing. He makes and sells the blockoff plates in 2 or 3 plate sets.

now the AIR system, i know it is used to inject air into the catalytic converter, but when i removed my y-pipe and cat, i did not see any lines tied into them?
That's because it doesn't pump the air into the cats. It pumps it into the exhaust manifolds.... the ports you keep confusing with part of the EGR system.

i can see the air pump (black cylinder looking thing) from underneath the car and im sure i can remove it, but what needs to be plugged for that? do any stores carry plates that can be used as block-offs for it? itd be real nice to get all this junk out while the engine bay is nice and open. thanks!
Read the instructions for AIR removal above.... 2 plugs for the exhaust manifolds.... but your headers may not have those. A vacuum cap for the air supply connection on the air intake ducting. You can get the drain plugs and the vacuum cap at most auto parts stores.

You need to understand, as I explained before..... the EGR and AIR systems are completely serarate, and you are confusing the various components of each system.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:22 PM

Thumbs up

thanks for explaining it in such detail, that was just what i was looking for
Old 10-13-2003, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by Injuneer

A vacuum cap for the air supply connection on the air intake ducting.

i have an extra vaccum cap from when i did the tb bypass... i havent looked so i dont know which connection it is, but will the extra cap i have work for plugging this connection (is it the same size?) also is there any pics of where the connection on the intake is? again i havent looked... thanks

Quick Reply: EGR and AIR Removal while manifolds are already off?