LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

edlebrock TES shorties exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 12:16 PM

edlebrock TES shorties exhaust leak

hey i got a 95 lt1 that i foolishly bought some TES shorties for. I later found that they pretty much suck as far has headers go. But i have a problem, i have been through 3 sets of gaskets, each set more and more expensive.
The first set was some 8 dollar garbage that looked like it was made out of sheet metal, the second was some kind of foam or something similar it was garbage too. The more i do this the more i learn that cheap stuff is cheap.... So i went on to summit racing and got some Mr. Gasket copper gaskets for $60.
They have some pretty large bumps around each port, my buddy said that it was a crushable gasket. I tighted that sucker until i thought it was just shy of stripping and still it neither crushed nor sealed. I fire up the car and it blows are out of multiple cylinders worse then any other setup i've had so far.
I have virtually no money right now so i am hoping someone can suggest something that will be fairly cheap to fix this. And hopefully its not Buy new headers.

thanks in advance

josh
Old 07-10-2006, 02:13 PM

Re: edlebrock TES shorties exhaust leak

I went with just Mr Gasket Ultraseal 5965s for my Edelbrock headers that are like $17, zero problems. Key is to tighten them good the first time, then retighten after the first several times you drive the car and it heats up/cools down. You'll find as you drive the car the first two or three times the bolts can be tightened just a tad each time. Once they stop loosening you're done. No leaks w/ mine, work great, the Edelbrocks are just fine IMO.

I can't help you w/ the copper gaskets, but it sounds like you're doing something wrong there, you did get gaskets for the D-port LT1 heads right? If you got them used maybe the flanges on your headers are warped or something preventing you from getting a good seal.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:34 PM

Re: edlebrock TES shorties exhaust leak

hey i definitly got d port for lt1. I just can't figure it out when i bolt them all down the headers are held out almost 1/8" - 3/16" from the block. The gasket is really thick. I was hoping that somebody had that gasket and could tell me that their headers were held out that much as well.