LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Edelbrock TES headers...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 01:52 PM

Edelbrock TES headers...

I am thinking about getting the TES headers (part # 6894 for 1995 LT1 single Cat.). I believe they are mid-length headers. Anyone have opinions on these (I'm sure everyone does). Please stay away from the "should get Hooker LT's" flaming/comments, I know they are better but come with a price too...

So any +/- feedback on the TES's would be appreciated! Thanx.

--Tim
Old 02-24-2003, 02:22 PM

They are shorties and their pretty much the cheapest in price, Nathan (fallchild) has some in his Trans Am. If you do a search there are a couple posts about them.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:40 PM

Personally I originally bought a set and did not like them so I exchanged them for a set of Mac Headers. I did not like the quality of the header.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:46 PM

I didn't have any issues or problems with install. They lined up perfect and plug access is better than stock. The only thing I didn't like was the opening on the primaries were not uniform and were only like 1 1/2" because of the welds on the inside. I used a dremel and ground them down so they were uniform and opened them up a bit. Just don't go too far because that's what hold's the header together. Driver side goes in from top and steering linkage has to be removed, not bad though.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:42 PM

After having seen the MACs, even if you get a set that is a little off MFG wise (any header set under $1000 is probably at risk of this), I would still go with them. At least once they are installed you can do the plugs in under 1000 years time. If I had smaller hands the SLPs might not have been so bad, but I had short plugs, and I almost could not even get a wire on the plug with the headers in place (#5 is the worst). I probably spent 15 minutes or so just getting the boot on, sounds ridiculous doesn't it.

With the SLPs, doing plugs/wires is made much easier by removing the Y pipe, and loosening the headers, even more fun than before. This is using a curved wrench, with about the most clearance anything has to offer, not even talking about attempting using a socket and wrachet, that will not work on more than maybe 3 primaries (SLP OBD I).

Along with the headers I'd go with the Felpro gaskets, they are very easy to deal with, put the header in place and put the 2 end bolts on, leave a little room so you can slip the gasket on. The ends are cut off (you could do it with any gasket I suppose), and the gasket slips right into place. Just dont leave so much slack in the bolts that you ruin the soft aluminum threads in the head.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:50 PM

I've got the Edelbrock TES and they work great. BUT they are tough to get to the plugs. Good luck on the siamesed exhaust ports. I was under the car on my back with my right arm over the lower control arm and around the AC Delete Pulley while my left arm went around the exhaust. Using the middle finger of my right hand and ring finger of my left hand, I was able to slowly walk out the plugs. Wear long sleeves! My arms are thrashed!
Old 02-24-2003, 05:03 PM

plugs werent too much fun but i was able to get at all of them from the top.i installed them on a lift so they went in from the bottom with no major issues except taking the drivers side motor mount bolt loose.but imo the work was not worth the minul gain if any i got from them.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:08 PM

I've heard alot about plug related stuff here, but what about performance wise? Any SOTP gain from these over stock exh. mani's? My setup so far exhaust wise is !CAT and a Flowmaster 80 series dumped at the back..What kind of HP are we lookin at here?
Old 02-24-2003, 08:50 PM

I believe TES headers are good for 15-20 rwhp. You WILL feel a difference over stock manifolds (They can't flow sh*t). I am going with MACs myself, because I know a guy with TES and one with MACs, the MACs feel a lot stronger. Ordering in about 2 weeks.

EDIT: I would aslo recommend a cutout, very loud and very fun
Old 02-24-2003, 10:54 PM

I have MACs too. Fitment and install was great and plug access is amazing! Felt a BIG difference too, especially on top end. Got them for $420 shipped from LS1Speed. And an added bonus: I picked up a full 3mpg (went from 320miles/tank to 360/tank).

After reading the boards and searching on the net for a few weeks, it seemed that MACs were the best deal for shorty headers for me(since I'll be strictly a minor bolt-on car for a few more years). I highly recommend them if you're not going to be doing serious mods for a while. Besides, MACs sell like hotcakes on the boards so you can easily sell them for $200-250 later on if you decide to move up to the larger headers.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:25 AM

MAc

So does MAC sell a true shorty header that will bolt up to a factory y-pipe? Thanks.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:26 PM

I'm not sure why you would want to keep the factory Y-pipe, as it is just as restrictive as the manifolds are. Hooker shorties, which are a true shorty, come with a Y-pipe (which will need some TLC to open up the flange). MACs come with a Y-pipe as well. It's included in the price and is much better than the factory one, so you might as well use it.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:41 PM

No Problems

I have the Edelbrock TES set up because of the Smog Emissions and at that time it was the only headers with the CARB number on it. I'm not sure now if Edelbrocks are the only company with CARB numbers.

I have no problems with the set up. As FAST CADDIE mentioned, I changed my Y-Pipe, forgot which Y-Pipe I put in.

Good Luck~~
Old 02-25-2003, 06:22 PM

Single cat Edelbrocks come with a Y pipe...
Old 02-25-2003, 07:02 PM

y-pipe

Originally posted by Fast Caddie
I'm not sure why you would want to keep the factory Y-pipe, as it is just as restrictive as the manifolds are. Hooker shorties, which are a true shorty, come with a Y-pipe (which will need some TLC to open up the flange). MACs come with a Y-pipe as well. It's included in the price and is much better than the factory one, so you might as well use it.
I already have the random-tech y-pipe with dual high-flow cats, and I like being emissions legal. That's why I don't want to use the MAC y-pipe. I don't want to pay the money for it if I'm not going to use it. I heard that MAC headers were all mid-length, and that wouldn't work with my RT y-pipe.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock TES headers...