LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Easy horsepower...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 09:37 PM

Exclamation Easy horsepower...

Hi. I am brand new to the boards and brand new to the Camaro. I have recently bought a 97 30th Anniversary Camaro Z28.(White w/ hugger orange stripes) The only thing that has been done to the car is one 40 series Flowmaster, which was on the car when I bought it. I have many many plans to build my car, but I wanted to know if anyone had any tips and tricks on easy horsepower. For example, I know that you can connect a 5 dollar hardware pipe to your throttle body to add around 5 hp, since the stock pipe restricts air flow. I just wanted to know if anyone could help with and give me some tips.

Also, does anyone suggest 80 series Flowmaster over the 40 series on a Z28? I wanted 80 series at first, but when I learned that it had 40 series, I was kinda stuck. Is it worth replacing?

I kinda think that my car has something else done to it, but I still can't figure out what. My friend has a 98 LS1 Camaro and we raced last night. It seems that I have WAY more torque than a stock Camaro. Our first run, we were going about 20 mph and we kicked it. My car actually got ahead of him and got a pretty good lead. We went again at about 40-45 and he beat me, but I still hung in good. It just didn't seem right that I was hanging pretty good with an LS1. My car just gives a fantastic kick when it is floored and catches 2nd at incredible force. Hope you guys can help and thanks! I hope to make this board a new home!
Old 03-16-2003, 09:50 PM
ryu

from what i read it seems like flowmasters dont flow very good at all. and about your cheap mod thing try this http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/ramair/ramair.htm looks like its good for a few hp. you can even make your own cold are intake from pipes. just do a search. and about the race that you had with your friend, i think lt1s are known for low end torque, and if your friend has an ls1 auto i think they came with 2.xx range gears. i think yours has 3.08? that might be why you won from 20 but he won from 40? anyways, phat car!!!how many miles you got on that puppy??? later
Old 03-16-2003, 09:54 PM

First of all, welcome to the board. You probably won't find a more comprehensive board around than this one. Get used to the search feature. I can promise you that any problem you have, someone has already asked about it.

As far as the 80 series vs. the 40 series, it is just gonna depend on how loud you like it. You will get varied responses to everyone's preferences, so it just comes down to what you like.

A CAI from SLP, Moroso, or K&N will give you in the area of 15 - 18 horses. Some on the board here have made their own for around $65.

Any questions, just ask.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:55 PM

Hmmm...interesting. I'll keep that in mind. I have 80,000 on the car btw. It's a little more than I wanted, but I got a decent price for it, and I LOVE IT!...so, it's worth it. Thanks for the help man.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:57 PM

Well, I have both cats still and the louder the better. Will 80's be louder than 40's? Thanks.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:57 PM

If either car is auto, they either came with 2.73 or 3.23 gears. If either car is a 6 speed, then it has 3.42 gears. It makes a difference.

Edit- get rid of that flowmaster **** and get a cutout or a different catback.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:05 PM
Banned

30th annys rule
flow masters suck
get a good catback
I suggest hooker

Stock cam sucks,
I suggest an Xe series

Stock heads suck
I suggest Combo heads, advanced induction or lloyd

3.48 stroke sucks
i suggest a 3.75
Old 03-16-2003, 11:11 PM

Best best is f**k the cat back and go with a cutout.....11 HP or so, and the sound is great. It's like $30 (search here, you might be able to get a cheaper on used) and the install is like $25 or so. $55 for 10-12 HP is a pretty good deal, IMHO.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:27 PM

Welcome!

You'll find yourself spending a long time reading and using the search buttom on this board... this thing is addictive.

I have many many plans to build my car, but I wanted to know if anyone had any tips and tricks on easy horsepower.
As far as easy power... stay away from anything that looks too good to be true on e-bay. If they are selling some "magic chip" that will give you "100" hp the chances are you'll get rip What ever information that they are selling like tb-bypass they got it from here for free too. (Probably you know this by now, but just making sure)

leo
Old 03-16-2003, 11:42 PM

definately screw the slowmaster and just put in cheep cut out. It is definately the way to go.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by smokindastangs
definately screw the slowmaster
I agree, screw the flowmaster.
They arent worth it IMO. i have 2 of them sitting in my basment that i got basically for free
Old 03-17-2003, 12:47 AM

Wink

Oh, I forgot another easy way to add so HP.....just go get some cool decals or those neon lights like those honda's have
Old 03-17-2003, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by chesee48
I agree, screw the flowmaster.
They arent worth it IMO. i have 2 of them sitting in my basment that i got basically for free
LOL, you too eh? I've got 2 in my garage.
Anyways, the throttle body bypass just prevents hot coolant from flowing through your throttle body. You obviously don't want hot coolant flowing through it that heats up the air as it passes. Hotter air=less power Do a search, maybe you can find a little guide for it, its very simple. Sweet car BTW...
Old 03-17-2003, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by chesee48
i have 2 of them sitting in my basment that i got basically for free
Originally posted by allmotorta
LOL, you too eh? I've got 2 in my garage.
Since you guys have four un-used Flows between the two of you, one of you should send me one evaluate. I've got the American Thunder cat-back, but don't know which series muffler is in it. I'd like to have the louder of the two, whichever it is. Are they both single in/dual out? Which series is louder?
Old 03-17-2003, 01:46 AM
Banned

Camaroz28.com Rule #273
No member shall join without posting pictures of his vehicle with many attractive women in reveling clothing on it. Clothing optional.

sorry but, its the rules..
It could add a few more horses too-
I know my car runs faster when there are hot girls being naked

Quick Reply: Easy horsepower...