LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Dyno Tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 03:08 PM

Dyno Tune

Probably not the right place, but I just found out that there is a local outfit that can dyno tune. What should I expect that they will/can do with regard to a Dyno Tune?

I have had (2) mail orders done. First with Ed and the 2nd PCMFORLESS.

Had the 2nd one done because Ed used to hide the readouts and my emissions cops couldn't read it and wouldn't pass it. PCM... opened the readouts. Also said that he didn't do much and that Ed's program was close enough so he just tweaked it a bit more.

But now I have this opportunity to have it tuned on the Dyno, so what should I expect?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by BUBBA
Probably not the right place, but I just found out that there is a local outfit that can dyno tune. What should I expect that they will/can do with regard to a Dyno Tune?

I have had (2) mail orders done. First with Ed and the 2nd PCMFORLESS.

Had the 2nd one done because Ed used to hide the readouts and my emissions cops couldn't read it and wouldn't pass it. PCM... opened the readouts. Also said that he didn't do much and that Ed's program was close enough so he just tweaked it a bit more.

But now I have this opportunity to have it tuned on the Dyno, so what should I expect?

Thanks
I wouldn't expect big things.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:33 PM

Dyno tunes I wouldn't mess with until I had my setup DONE. Meaning I am done modding. Which will never happen. So basically I will never dyno tune a car. So much more money for only a couple hp.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:53 PM

Well, I'm basically done modding, so I might as well see where I am and go for some extra if it is there. If you don't know where you are, then you might want to know how you compare with someone else with the same mods, since if you were considerably lower than the norm, there may be something wrong or perhaps your tune is not optimal JMHO
Old 04-01-2008, 04:48 PM

You have a catback and thats it basically is what I see for mods right? Please dont waste your money.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Dyno tunes I wouldn't mess with until I had my setup DONE. Meaning I am done modding. Which will never happen. So basically I will never dyno tune a car. So much more money for only a couple hp.
I can't remember the last time we made less than 15 minimum on the dyno. Our average is about 25 HP gain, with commonly making 35hp, quite a few times we will find the problems on the dyno and pick up 75-100hp.

A mail-order tune does not do nearly as well a job as a dyno tune - a guy states away cannot magically know the volumetric efficiency of your motor, nor at what end of the spectrum your "32" # injectors flow at. EFI does such a good job of correcting for poor running conditions that it's easy to hurt your motor severely without being able to feel a problem.

A dyno tune is only partially used to make HP, mainly it's to make sure that your motor is running safely so it has a long and happy life.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:17 PM

if your picking up 75-100 hp than peoples baseline tunes have to be horrible. I see that happening on a 800rwhp single turbo 383, but not with your average guy with boltons or h/c setup. Maybe like 10-40rwhp, do you have any examples?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by BUBBA
Probably not the right place, but I just found out that there is a local outfit that can dyno tune.
Is it TJ Wong's shop?
Old 04-02-2008, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by slomarao
if your picking up 75-100 hp than peoples baseline tunes have to be horrible. I see that happening on a 800rwhp single turbo 383, but not with your average guy with boltons or h/c setup. Maybe like 10-40rwhp, do you have any examples?
You are missing one of my points that the "tune" can be correct as far as it's written, but there may be other problems that show up as part of the process. The occasions where the massive 75-100 hp gains are found have been on 300hp motors up to 600hp motors - the dyno is a good diagnostic tool as well as for measuring hp. A good example is early corvette's with side-pipe exhaust, this has happened half a dozen times - the motor makes peak power to 5200rpm, then flatlines to redline at 6500 - obviously a volumetric efficiency problem so the exhaust was dropped and instantly 75hp is found, with new pipes and tune to take advantage of the lack of back pressure it was a gain of over 100hp. The customers sometimes don't even realize that there was that much left on the table and say they had driven it that way for years.

I am not only comparing LT1 motors here also, I am talking generally about all the vehicles that pass over the rollers. I personally could care less about that extra 10hp, I would want my car to be dyno'd to make sure that the air/fuel ratio is where it needs to be to keep my motor from melting down.

And we do get a lot of horrible email tunes, just did an '04 Cobra with a Kenne Bell upgrade blower on it this week that we picked up 75hp with no changes to boost pressure.

I could go all day on this stuff, and I have thousands of dyno graphs in the computer, but I'm not selling you anything and I'm not going to go posting up proof...take what I say or leave it.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:50 AM

+1 on checking a mail order tune for saftey. Back when I first got dynotuned my tuner pulled 5 degrees of timing out of my mail order tune. I also gained 30rwtq under the curve.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:44 AM

I agree that lots of times the advantage of the dyno is not the tune per se but that it points to an otherwise unsuspected issues that when corrected makes a big difference. But certainly it's not a guarantee. We had a truck the other day that made 20% more rwhp based on what the dyno revealed - not enough fuel. The fuel filter was clogged and the fuel pressure was too low. Popped in a new filter, cranked up the FP (guy didn't even know it could be adjusted on this particular vehicle) and bingo - 20% more hp.

Rich