LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

DTC 63 plus car shutting off

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:34 PM

DTC 63 plus car shutting off

I know that this is a right 02 fail code and it is showing an open circuit. It only flashed for a second and went away (no ses light). The car starts and idles fine in the beginning then after about 2 minutes it starts to stumble and then just dies. It will start back up and repeat the same process all over again. Any help wil be much appreciated.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:27 PM

OK so this feels like a fuel problem the way it just dies. Can anyone tell me how my jacking the car up on the left side would cause the engine to flood. Has anyone out there ever had this happen before, I did several searches and could not find anything. I couldn't even find anything where anyone had a problem where they got a DTC 63.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Do you have extensions on the O2's.... might indicate an intermittent connection? Sounds like the engine is starting OK in open loop, then having problems at the two minute mark when it tries to transition to closed loop.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:48 PM

No I don't have extensions I did not need them. Do you see this as maybe a fuel problem? I just checked my fuel pressure and my injectors and the pressure was good and the injectors do not leak. I would hate to just start throwing parts at it.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Banned

I'm not so sure about the electrical end of it......But I have seen people jack up a car and smash the fuel lines

Look at the gauge when it strts and shuts off, just to see whats happening......

any way to log it....I think injuneer is on to something with it shutting off after the first 2 min.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:07 PM

Hey Mike, the fuel lines are fine and I would love to scan it but I won't have the guage until tommorrow. I have not tried to start it yet today. I need to see what it does.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:11 PM

Your car isn't using the O2 sensors until it warms up a bit. If there is a problem though it would normal throw an SES light and run in speed density mode (pretty sure), not just shut down. Odd. It could be possible you have an issue with yet another sensor (one necessary for speed density), causing it to throw way too much fuel into it. That might shut it down. The MAP and IAT and probably another one I'm forgetting need to be reading pretty accurate. Though a fault in those sensors would throw a code of their own I thought?

Then again I might be completely off there as it probably needs those sensors in good order until the O2's heat up anyway.

If you think your engine is flooded theres the old trick you can use. Keep the pedal to the floor and hold it there while trying to start, it will then throw as much air into it without fuel until it starts. Just pay attention cause when it does start it'll hit the rev limiter pretty quickly, and you don't really want to do that unless you're in gear.

You could try unplugging your O2 sensors and see what happens.

Did you pull the vacuum line as well when checking the FP? Or, connect the FP gauge up to it (vacuum line connected) and get in the car and give it some gas. If it rises initially then falls down real quick, you could have a fuel pump thats going or even a clogged fuel filter. Thats probably the best way short of taping the gauge to your windshield and driving around.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:19 PM

Yeah I checked the vac lines. So I waited for it to get dark and went out to start the car. It started fine and idled fine. I drove it around for a while and it started a slight miss. I got back home and popped the hood to the sound of a slight erratic ticking. After some checking around I found the #7 wire at the opti arcing. I still don't know what fixed the original problem. I guess it was just flooded and needed to sit for a while. Thanks for all of your help guys. I am ready to get this thing back out on the road.