LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Drilled through a fuel line doing the "trap door" method

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 08:58 PM

Drilled through a fuel line doing the "trap door" method

So i got a new fuel pump and bought some tin snips. Went to drill a hole and i hit a fuel line. The main line. I guess thats what happens when you drill in the wrong spot. Gas went shooting everywhere and i was smokeing on top of it. Yeah, verry stupid i know. Im going to cut it where the hole is and get some high pressure hose and clamp it up tomorrow. Just thought i would share this.

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/buzzkill-trapdoor.jpg

Haha, not to mention the hole i made looks terrible. Im going to file it up nice and RTV some sheet metal over it tomorrow. Trap door is still awesome though. Only took 10 minutes to have the pump out and only got my hands dirty. No rolling around the ground. Hopefully the high pressure hose holds.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:29 PM

Lightbulb Re: Drilled through a fuel line doing the "trap door" method

I don't know about putting High Pressure line over it.
At the very least I would brazed the hole in the line.
Or take it off and bring it to a hydraulic shop.
They can fix it there.
I would not trust putting a High Pressure line over it you will just be asking for a fire.

Chris G.

Last edited by crazypurgatory; 09-18-2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:25 PM

Re: Drilled through a fuel line doing the "trap door" method

Glad you are still alive to talk about it. One little spark and it would have been all over.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:35 PM

It did actually spark. I was standing in the trunk and afew buddies were watching me. It was kinda funny cause my one friend said "we all could of just died" so casual. I made a stupid move though.

As for the high pressure line.. One is used on the fuel pump to connect it to the actual metal line. Before that was just that cheap plastic see through straw-type hose. I dont think it will be a problem.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:39 PM

You know other people have done the trap door method and you could have used a guide theres lots on the internet.

You didnt have to use the search and destroy method of finding were to cut the hole

Glad your still alive.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:45 AM

If you would of searched there are exact measurements on where to cut. You live and learn, glad to hear you are ok after all of that.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:00 PM

Its fixed. Just bought some high pressure hose and clamped it on. No leaks. Also solved the hard starting problem. For some reason the exhaust seems louder. Could my stock pump with 140k on it been causeing performance problems?
Old 09-19-2005, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by SSmoked
Its fixed. Just bought some high pressure hose and clamped it on. No leaks. Also solved the hard starting problem. For some reason the exhaust seems louder. Could my stock pump with 140k on it been causeing performance problems?
Did you cover the hole you cut...i drove around without it covered cause i was doing it in school and didnt finish. It sure made the exhaust really loud.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:42 PM

Question Re: Drilled through a fuel line doing the "trap door" method

Why people replace the fuel pump this way is beyond me. I just don't get it.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by BADST95
Why people replace the fuel pump this way is beyond me. I just don't get it.

Because it saves a ton of time or even money if you were to pay a shop to do it. There's some cars that have trap doors stock anyway. I don't see what the big deal is. As long as you look at the measurements online then it's really easy. Me and my dad did it the other day and had no problems. Just make sure you cover the hole back up.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:44 PM

Not everyone has a lift in their garage. Some people don't even have a garage. Or their own driveway. I could go on :P

I live in an apartment complex, and thanks to the "trap door" method, I won't have to worry about the horrors of dropping a rear end just to get to the fuel pump. I replaced a fuel pump (in a Cavalier) by dropping the rear axle, and it was terrible.

If I had the resources and info for the Cavalier that is available for Camaros, I would have cut that sucker up quick and been done with it in less than an hour. I don't understand how people balk at the idea of cutting a small hole in the body of their car when they will remove air bags, modify pollution control systems, basically change everything else.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:08 PM

i used sheet metal some sheet metal screws and rtv to cover the hole , i got rtv everywhere but ur not gonna c it soo whatever
Old 09-19-2005, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

w w
Old 09-20-2005, 09:47 AM

Smile Re: Drilled through a fuel line doing the "trap door" method

That's not how any competent shop would do it. I understand that not all people have access to a lift and you have to do what you have to do. But just think of it this way... how would you feel if you brought your car to the dealer for a fuel pump replacement and you found out that they cut a hole in your car to get to the fuel pump? Would you be happy or would you be pissed? It may not be the wrong way to replace a fuel pump, but it certainly is not the right way to do it.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by BADST95
That's not how any competent shop would do it. I understand that not all people have access to a lift and you have to do what you have to do. But just think of it this way... how would you feel if you brought your car to the dealer for a fuel pump replacement and you found out that they cut a hole in your car to get to the fuel pump? Would you be happy or would you be pissed? It may not be the wrong way to replace a fuel pump, but it certainly is not the right way to do it.
Hell yeah I would be pissed if somebody else cut up my car. It is not theirs to do that. It is mine and I did cut a hole to replace the fuel pump. Works great if you follow the instructions. So what you are saying that just because the manual says take the entire back of the car apart then that is the only way to do it? That's crazy. If there is a better, cheaper, and quicker way to do something, I say go for it.

Quick Reply: Drilled through a fuel line doing the "trap door" method