LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Doing Doughnuts...Something broke.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 03:52 AM

Unhappy Doing Doughnuts...Something broke.

So i decided to do some doughnuts in my car before i get my new tires put on tomarrow. Well while i did that everything seemed okay. I took off right away because i didn't want to get in trouble by the cops. I went about 1 mile away and then stoped to make a u-turn. When all the sudden my power stering is gone. I was able to barley turn it so i could turn around. While driving it was just fine though. Then when i stopped at my friends house to drop him off i turned off the car and then started it again. The same thing happened my power stering wasn't working. Then when i got home i tried to turn it while not moving in neutral. It wasn't happening. But if i rev it up a little i was able to turn it. I noticed a little smoke coming out from under the hood. I popped it open and noticed some fluid splattered around. What do you think i did? Blew up my power stering?
Old 09-02-2003, 03:55 AM

Maybe coolant got on the serpentine belt causing it to slip? What color was the fluid and where was it coming from?
Old 09-02-2003, 04:16 AM

Make sure your serpentine belt is still attached, and your power steering lines are still in tact. When you were doing the donuts, you didn't crank the wheel all the way did you? Pulling the wheel all the way to one side is a good way to blow up the pump, and they aren't cheap.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:21 AM

Originally posted by Cmr0z28
Maybe coolant got on the serpentine belt causing it to slip? What color was the fluid and where was it coming from?
This happened to me, I wasn't doing donuts but anyway, check for leaks that might get on the belt.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:15 AM

Without sounding too much like a jackass, this is why donuts are a bad idea You're lucky your rear end didn't go out on you. It's just not worth it, guys. I'm sorry you're having problems, some of us got lucky and nothing broke before we found out what a bad idea it really was.. I hope you get it figured out cheaply, bro.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by X-Jester
Without sounding too much like a jackass, this is why donuts are a bad idea You're lucky your rear end didn't go out on you. It's just not worth it, guys. I'm sorry you're having problems, some of us got lucky and nothing broke before we found out what a bad idea it really was.. I hope you get it figured out cheaply, bro.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:32 AM

Same thing happened to me, but I neeeded a new powersteering pump, it was leaking badly, and getting on the belt being flung all over the opti and engine compartment. Basically it kept getting worse untill I replaced the pump then all was fine.
Hope yours is just low on fluid.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:48 AM

like was already mentioned, you blew your power steering pump. Hardly worth the 5 minutes of fun huh? Something else to think about, our rear ends are like glass, and don't have a very high life expectency, you definately cut that down a bit as well, hope you're saving for a rebuild on that, or a 9"/12 bolt.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:51 AM

I knew when I read the thread title, that it was going to be about the power steering. Cranking the wheel hard and holding it there, coupled with the high rpms when doing doughnuts can cause pump pressures to skyrocket. The pump cannot handle that. Typically, when you have the wheel turned that hard you are in low rpm parking situations. The closer you are to lock, the higher the pressure gets.

Maybe you just lost some fluid. Try correcting the level. If that does not fix it, then you might need a new pump.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:55 AM

ouch

that sucks man.. take it easy on your car! I dont think your rear's gonna go out.. when your doin donuts your tires are obviously spinning.. if you had slicks and did a 5k drop then it might be different lol..
Old 09-02-2003, 09:31 AM

welcome to the club my friend! Had my PS pump go out on me after doing donuts. To be positive, check the PS pump pulley. IF the belt isnt lining up straight on it, its shot. Careful now on going high rpms, or you WILL lose the belt. Happened to me twice. For a new one, Jason Cromer told me 80 bucks with a 20 dollar core charge.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:07 AM

When my waterpump crapped out on me, fluid leaked on my belts and I wasn't able to turn my wheel. You might want to check into that.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by robvas
Donuts screw your powersteering pump up.
Donuts dont screw up your powersteering pump, doing improper donuts screw up your powersteering pump. Kinda like guns dont kill people, people kill people, its that kind of thing. Did you at least get it on video? Sucks it happened but at robvas said, live and learn.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:33 PM

Well thanks for the replies guys. I am a little upset now that i did it. I will let you know after i drive it today. Hopefully the pump is not gone but if so, i took the chance and its my fault. But yeah i do have it on video so at least i can watch it. The video is pretty dark though.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:17 PM

You guys think if he lost some fluid and is having occasional trouble with the ps he might have got air in their too? If he adds fluid, he might have to bleed the lines some? I forgot the precdure, but they had to do that on my wifes 97 firebird when they replaced the line from the pump to the reservoir.

Jason

Quick Reply: Doing Doughnuts...Something broke.