LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Does anyone have an idea what these wirings undermy hood are for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 02:15 PM

Does anyone have an idea what these wirings undermy hood are for?

Its right by the power steering fill is. Also i circled the fuse it looks like it blew up. the fuse holder and fuse are both burnt black. crisped. that has a red cable coming from my battery and a ground. I dont know what its for?
Thanks
Name:  Fuse.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  94.6 KB
Old 07-26-2008, 02:22 PM

Whatever it is, I don't think it's factory. I can't recall a fuse coming off that block on my Z. I'll check when I get home this afternoon....but you may have an answer by then.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:27 PM

Looks like someone added it to maybe power an amp since it needs a hot lead 12v coming from the battery thats hot all the time.

It looks to be badly burned, I'd say trace it down where it goes as you don't want a hot wire just going any ole place there.

Pull the fuse for sure and see if anything doesn't work...could also be a gerry rig for the fans or something.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:53 PM

I think it is for my fans cuz my fans wont work at all, even if i jumper them. SES light or AC dont turn my fans on either... I found this picture from another thread saying ..,..

There is a wire section (fusible link) that is designed to burn "open" with excessive current. It's in the red line from the battery terminal box to the 12V load supply terminal on the fan relays.

Courtesy of Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/fusible.jpg

I think thats wat it is.. So Do i just replace the yellow wire with the fuse holder on it with a new one?
Old 07-26-2008, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by sabedra211
I think it is for my fans cuz my fans wont work at all, even if i jumper them. SES light or AC dont turn my fans on either... I found this picture from another thread saying ..,..

There is a wire section (fusible link) that is designed to burn "open" with excessive current. It's in the red line from the battery terminal box to the 12V load supply terminal on the fan relays.

Courtesy of Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/fusible.jpg

I think thats wat it is.. So Do i just replace the yellow wire with the fuse holder on it with a new one?
It looks like that section does need to be replaced no doubt. Be sure to find out what the proper fuse rating should be as it looks like it had been replaced already before.
May want to determine if the fan is bad to keep burning those up like that, may need a new fan.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by 2QUIK6
It looks like that section does need to be replaced no doubt. Be sure to find out what the proper fuse rating should be as it looks like it had been replaced already before.
May want to determine if the fan is bad to keep burning those up like that, may need a new fan.
How do i found out the right fuse rating? It had a 30 amp fuse. Could it have blown cuz i changed the cars battery??
Old 07-26-2008, 05:30 PM

How do i found out the right fuse rating? It had a 30 amp fuse. Could it have blown cuz i changed the cars battery??
No, changing the battery couldn't blow it, it had to have a draw on the other end to blow it..a draw greater than the fuse rating, which probably would indicate something grounding out.

I just went out and checked mine, there are 3 wires coming off that pole, but none of mine have fusable links before it goes into the plastic harness wrap so I'd still be concerned why its there in the first place.
If its for the fan, I'd think a 25 or 30A fuse would be plenty, but again, double check this maybe by putting up another post asking. Make sure the wire is also rated for that amperage as you could melt the insulation off the wire if its not.
If you can't determine exactly where its going, definitely keep the fused link in there since its been burning them up.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:23 PM

alright well could it have blown if it touched somethng metal? like the top of the hood when the hood is shut?? Cuz i touched it with a metal part under the hood and it sparked ? Anyways i changed the wire with a new one with a new 30A fuse and the fans worked!! I so glad now. I guess i just have to pay close attention to that fuse every now and then....
Old 07-27-2008, 02:52 PM

alright well could it have blown if it touched somethng metal? like the top of the hood when the hood is shut?? Cuz i touched it with a metal part under the hood and it sparked ? Anyways i changed the wire with a new one with a new 30A fuse and the fans worked!! I so glad now. I guess i just have to pay close attention to that fuse every now and then....
Yes, if an uninsulated part of the wire after the fuse came in contact with metal it would blow it because that is shorting the positive to ground which will pull enough current to melt the wire and start a fire if the fuse was not there. Make sure all of the wire is wrapped with electrical tape where the connections are or solder and use shrink wrap insulators.