LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Do you need to put thread sealant on a new bleeder valve (caliper)?

Old 12-24-2003, 03:05 PM

Do you need to put thread sealant on a new bleeder valve (caliper)?

I rounded a bleeder valve nut on the caliper.. So i replaced it with another one that is suppose to fit 98-2002 camaro front brakes... which is what i have...

I put brake fluid all around the bleeder valve.... hooked up a mity vac and pressurized it... It would not hold pressure as well as the other bleeder valves. note- this is still with the valve shut and its not holding pressure....
So with that brake fluid all around the valve I opened the valve... and it sucked the fluid past the threads of the valve...

So i realized that i did not take the rubber seal off the other rounded bleeder valve... So i put that rubber seal on the new one...
But i still cant bleed the front right caliper. it just sucks out air...

The back calipers are fine, zero air bubbles.. The front passengers is fine, zero air bubbles..
Its just that damn drivers side one...
The only thing i changed was that bleeder valve...

So should i use thread sealant? Would it even work cuz it'd get doused in brake fluid as soon as i put it in..??

This is really ticking me off.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Go exhange the bleeder valve. you should not need any thread sealant on the brakes. I wouldn't skimp chances on your brake system. One leak that lets in air can F34K the entire system up.
Old 12-25-2003, 07:45 AM

The one instance anyone should use sealant on the threads, is if the threads were designed to do the sealing, as on pipe thread, which is a tapered, screw to interference fit.