LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

do taylor's suck or is it me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 03:10 PM

do taylor's suck or is it me?

Had these wires for about 6 months and they are arcing everywhere, does anybody have this problem, or better yet a solution? I put dielectric grease on all the ends and the arcing stopped until the car got hot then it started again, and started arcing on the body of the wire.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Re: do taylor's suck or is it me?

When I first got my car I installed a set of Taylors I got from Thunder racing... A few of the plugs where misisng... I scrathed myhead all day... this being a first time wire change on an LT-1 I was double frustraited. I kept rechecking and tripple checking everything but I couldn't figure out why the car was missing so badly. I ended giving up and brought a set of those Autozone No name wires and threw them on there. WHen I pulled the taylors out and inspected them again... I noticed that on some of the ends... when I looked down into the boot... the wires were cut to short. It was wierd... but I just sent them back and got a refund... then went to Moroso Blu MAX's... No I have those mixed in with the Accel make em' yourself versions...

bottom line... sh*t happens...
Old 01-03-2005, 06:14 PM

I had taylors, now I have MSD 8.5mm superconductors. The MSDs seem to be of better quality all the way around, they hold onto the plugs better, are thicker, and seem just overall "beefier." The only downside is that they are more expensive and you have to cut them to length yourself.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:22 PM

I've had 2 sets of taylors, 1 custom cut kit when I was running stock manifolds and a universal set after the header install. Both were sypro-pros. With the headers I was getting arcing on all the wires, there were arcs climbing up the wires all the way from the opti to the plug. You could really see it at night I was actually scared to get my hand near the engine while it was running, not saying that it would hurt me but I didn't feel like finding out. I ended up buying MSD 8.8 super conductors and it fixed the problem, it is a much better wire.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:23 PM

I experimented with them also and believe that the MSD's are a superior wire.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:29 PM

I run OEM style wire from Autozone and I have never had a problem. 30 bucks. Never looked back.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:42 PM

I am in the process of returning a set of OVC Taylor wires. They have been on about a month and I am getting arcing everywhere...at the plugs, coil, b/w wires. At least it better be the wires causing the arcing
Old 01-03-2005, 07:00 PM

I went though 3-4 sets of the 8mm wires. I have the 10mm wires on there now for over a year w/o any problems at all. I did have the same probs with the 8mm wires arcing alot.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:13 PM

I have been using taylors for 5 years now. The only problem with arching i had was when I burned them. The one thing I found was that the taylors have much less resistance then any other wire I have tried. All the taylors had between .5 and 1.5 ohms and every single one of my MSDs have 40 or more. I've been sticking with taylors for that reason only. They arnt the best of quality though.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:14 PM

I havent seen any arcing from my Taylors, I have had them for about a year now.

Marvin
Old 01-03-2005, 10:21 PM

You could pop my hood at night and see my old taylor wires flashing at the boot, at the coil and within the wire itself in random areas. They didnt hold up well to heat at all. My MSDs are doing great though after 2 years.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:38 PM

i have used taylor's , magnecores, and accel wires. you get what you pay for. i stick with accel cut to fit wires.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:42 PM

Hmm, I have not had any problems with the Taylors that come with the OTVC kit....
Old 01-03-2005, 10:49 PM

same problem here with the taylors. switched to the accel wires and have had no problems.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:52 PM

Yup I have also had bad luck with taylors. They were arcing to the point that the car was making a bad ticking noise. I thought i messed the motor up but when i changed to msds car was fine and ticking went away. I know i had at least 2 arcing pretty badly.

Quick Reply: do taylor's suck or is it me?