LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Do I need to keep EGR solanoid if the EGR valve is removed? SMOG ???

Old 07-09-2003, 11:10 AM

Question Do I need to keep EGR solanoid if the EGR valve is removed? SMOG ???

I removed the EGR valve and blocked it off. I am wondering if I need tro keep the Solanoid that is on the passanger side that bolts to the intake. It has 2 tubes that come off it, One to the Throttle body and the other goes some where else?

Also need to know if I need the hard rubber line that comes out of the passenger side vale cover and goes tot he throttle body. I don't have on and need to know if I should get a hold of one from a dealor or junk yard?
Old 07-09-2003, 11:15 AM

You can get rid of everything relating to the EGR. You just need to cap the line on the intake manifold when you take it off. As for that rubber hose going from the valve cover to the TB you need it - its part of your PCV system.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:18 PM

Sounds good. That must be why the Idle is so eratic right now.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:17 PM
Administrator

The solenoid on the passenger side of the intake manifold is the EEC canister purge solenoid. It is not part of the EGR system - that solenoid is on the drivers side at the back of the intake. It is nothing that hurts performance, but it does help vent the fuel tank and prevent the smell of raw fuel from building up in the back near the fuel tank. I know when mine stopped working and I was running racing fuel, the fumes were enough to burn my eyes with a window open.

The line from the passenger valve cover to the throttle body is part of the PCV system... provides filtered and MAF metered air to the crankcase, for the PCV system. If you have no hose there now, in effect you have a small vacuum leak of "unmetered" air into the combustion system. Nothing the long term fuel corrections can't compensate for. You also need to cap the connection at the throttle body, because again, you are allowing unfiltered, unmetered air into the combustion system.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:33 PM

i just removed my egr this morning.

there was one metal hose connecting the passenger side exhaust manifold to threa rear passenger side of the intake manifold.

there was the egr vavle itself, connecting to a little electrical thing (im guessing the solenoid), which then connected about halfway up the driver side of the intake manifold (just above the PCV valve).

i removed it all, used the LT4 blockoff plate, and im going to find a cap and seal the small hole that was left on the intake manifold driver side.

hopefully i wasnt supposed to leave that solenoid on.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:40 PM

Just outta curiousity, are there any benefits to this mod? (im be serious too, not to p*ss anybody off) I was just wondering because i've considered it before but didn't know what come along in doing the mod. And when u do the !EGR mod aren't u suppose to remove the A.I.R. tubes and smog pump?
Thanks
Old 07-09-2003, 02:54 PM
Administrator

There is no measureable impact of deleting the AIR and EGR systems.... they don't even operate at WOT. I also can't see any benefit in removing the EEC system. I built an 800HP nitrous stroker, and kept all of this stuff intact as long as it was a "street car", and it didn't hurt my performance one bit, other than the small weight penalty from about 10-15# of loose parts.

EGR can actually help prevent detonation when lugging the engine at low rpm. And of course if you have dyno emissions, it will help reduce NOx.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:20 PM

That is right, It is the Charcoal canister purge solinoid I was working around. I do want to keep that because I just replaced the canister. When I pulled the motor I scrapped qaa lot of parts that looked worn or unservicable. I was planning on replacing what I needed at a later date, and now with the ARI gone and long tube in I have lost sight of what is needed to put the car back together with what system have been kept.

The EGR valve and SOL are gone. AIR valve is gone as well. I do plan on running the PVC and Charcoal can and system.
No I ordered a breather for the valve cover, will that mess with the PVC system or will it be ok. Im asking because of the tube that goes form the valve cover to the throttle body. The breather will be on the same valve cover.???
Old 07-09-2003, 04:36 PM
Administrator

The breather will replace the tube. You just need to remember to cap the connection on the throttle body. The small amount of "unmetered" air coming in the breather should be handled by the long term fuel corrections (BLM's).