LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Do I have the right pick up tube?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 11:12 PM

Do I have the right pick up tube?

Hey guys. Is the oil pump pickup tube the same for a SBC as it is for an LT1? My pickup tube fell off and I am putting everything back together but the oil pan doesn't seem to be fitting flush. It seems like it is almost rocking on something. I think the pickup tube I have is a SBC and I don't know if the pan isn't clearing it causing it to not sit flush. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:04 PM

Re: Do I have the right pick up tube?

To start with the LT1 is a SBC. And it depends, there are different pickup tubes and different oil pumps, for different applications. Most are the same but you still have to check clearence. The pickup sit very close to the bottom of the pan, so if it's installed a little off it can hit.
Once you have the tube set up you should tack weld or braze it to at the pump, so it wouldn't fall out again.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:07 PM

I am aware that the LT1 is a SBC. Perhaps I worded it wrong. I'm saying that certain parts are LT1 specific and not compatible with every past SBC. When I went and got the current pick up tube I believe it was just a generic SBC tube. My question is, is there a specific pick up for an LT1 or will just any SBC tube work and fit. Like I said, my pan doesn't want to sit flush. I am not 100% sure that its hitting the pick up but I can't see anything else that would be hindering it. There are no wires or anything in the way. We also pushed the pickup quite a bit higher than it is supposed to be just to see if it would make a diff. but it still wouldn't mount flush. So basically what I'm getting at is the diameter of the circular screen on the end of the tube different for an LT1 than for other SBC and would that make a diff.

Thanks
Brian
Old 10-22-2004, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by INSTG8R
So basically what I'm getting at is the diameter of the circular screen on the end of the tube different for an LT1 than for other SBC and would that make a diff.
This is the question that needs to be answered. We might have a pick up tube on the car with "too big of a base". Can anyone confirm the size of the "base" of an LT1 pickup tube? Or does anyone have some pics? I have a feeling that the LT1 tube will have a smaller diameter base than the one that we are trying to get onto the car.

any info appreciated!!
Old 10-23-2004, 10:17 AM

From memory, the regular SBC pickup base is larger. See if this helps any.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:43 PM

Thank you for the help. I measured the screen on mine and its 4 1/4 in. So its about an inch bigger diameter than the one in your pic. Is that extra inch enough to cause it to rub the pan? Thanks again.

Brian
Old 10-23-2004, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by INSTG8R
Thank you for the help. I measured the screen on mine and its 4 1/4 in. So its about an inch bigger diameter than the one in your pic. Is that extra inch enough to cause it to rub the pan? Thanks again.

Brian
It might, because of the baffling or shape of the pan.