LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Dissecting the bad opti - pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 06:35 PM

Dissecting the bad opti - pictures!

So I had a thread recently where I mentioned the car ran bad with a new 'thepartsladi' optispark. Today I decided to take it apart and look for anything that was obviously wrong.

This opti probably has a maximum of 2 minutes of engine running time on it along with dozens of attempted starts.

The cap had all this brown dusty stuff in it.

Name:  IMG_20130619_140106.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  135.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20130619_140151.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  65.1 KB

And it looks like it might have come from the rotor here. It looks like it was grinding against something big time.

Name:  IMG_20130619_140245.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  63.3 KB

The little disk has evidence of rubbing on it as well. (On a side note I couldn't believe how flimsy that thing was)

Name:  IMG_20130619_140336.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  81.7 KB

It never threw any codes. I think something was either the wrong height or size and caused all the contact. That probably threw off the timing.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:07 AM
Administrator

Re: Dissecting the bad opti - pictures!

Looks like what happens when the dowel pin is too long. Are you the person with the Golen engine that came with a vented Opti?
Old 06-20-2013, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
I've been pretty happy with my Golen 383. I bought the 400hp long block for $5,500 4 years ago and after 25K miles it's doing great. It's got some cam surge and I usually add 1/4 - 1/2 a quart of oil between changes. I'm making 350 rwhp and 370 rwtq. Oh, and 23 mpg highway!
I agree with Fred. But here's the better question. You posted the above quote in April 2013. You been using it for 4 years and at the top, you posted this "This opti probably has a maximum of 2 minutes of engine running time on it along with dozens of attempted starts."

Begs the question, what happened to the first (1 2 or more opti's)?

This has to be at least the second one. So what's the problem? My car had the original opti on it when I bought it with 140K on it. I only put a cap and rotor on it and sold it that way years later. So why you having problems in less than 25K? Sure looks like a dowel pin issue to me.

Also thepartsladi does not sell those any more. Must tell you something.

Last edited by slopokrodrigez; 06-20-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Looks like what happens when the dowel pin is too long. Are you the person with the Golen engine that came with a vented Opti?
Yes that's me. Interesting explanation! When I installed this opti the mounting holes didn't make contact with the block. There was probably a millimeter of space between the two, barely anything so I thought it was normal. When I put the old one back on it did make contact but I still never thought the dowel pin could actually smash the innards like that.

Originally Posted by slopokrodrigez
I agree with Fred. But here's the better question. You posted the above quote in April 2013. You been using it for 4 years and at the top, you posted this "This opti probably has a maximum of 2 minutes of engine running time on it along with dozens of attempted starts."

Begs the question, what happened to the first (1 2 or more opti's)?

This has to be at least the second one. So what's the problem? My car had the original opti on it when I bought it with 140K on it. I only put a cap and rotor on it and sold it that way years later. So why you having problems in less than 25K? Sure looks like a dowel pin issue to me.

Also thepartsladi does not sell those any more. Must tell you something.
The opti in this post was my back up. It was actually the first opti I tried when I had the new engine installed back in 2009. At that time it wouldn't start so the shop put another new opti in (the one I've been running all these years). The engine still wouldn't start so they replaced the MAF and it started and ran fine. All this time I thought the opti was fine and the MAF was the issue.

I wanted to try installing this opti again to see if it would resolve my 'cam surge' which I'm not 100% sure that's what it is. Based on all the reading I've done, it seems like the most likely explanation, I just wanted to rule out the opti.

Thanks for enlightening me on the dowel pin guys.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
When I installed this opti the mounting holes didn't make contact with the block. There was probably a millimeter of space between the two,
Ding ding ding ding We have a winner. Should have been the first sign when it didn't drop into place.

See this
http://shbox.com/ci/ci289.jpg
Old 06-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Administrator

As usual, Shoebox has good advice:

Before you install the cam, it is a good idea to check the dowel pin length. Compare the new length to the old and make any adjustments if needed. If the dowel pin is too long, it can ruin a vented optispark in a short time (non-vented optisparks aren't driven by the dowel pin). Some have said GM specs indicate that the dowel should be .620" long (protrusion from the front face of the cam) for the vented optispark. Others have said it is supposed to be .685". Mine was actually .650" and still was in no danger of bottoming out in the optispark drive (I'm thinking .685" might be the max it could be). Here you can see the difference in the Comp Cams dowel (right) to the original. The CC pin was .840". That would put pressure on the back of the optispark and destroy it in a short time. If you have any doubts about the length, use some modeling clay (even PlayDoh :-) ) to test fit the opti and check the clearance. Comp Cams advises you to check all clearances.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:10 PM

.840 is almost an inch - that is just plain weird.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:24 PM

Well my dowel pin was no where near 1" long. And my "good" opti fits on it just fine. Main reason I didn't suspect a length discrepancy.

Ding ding ding ding We have a winner. Should have been the first sign when it didn't drop into place.

See this
http://shbox.com/ci/ci289.jpg
The first few times I tried installing the opti I didn't get the dowel pin in its socket and it really didn't drop into place. There was probably a centimeter of space between the mounting holes and block. That was obviously not correct. When I finally got it, there was probably about a millimeter like I said. I just didn't know it would be such a problem.

I can assure you guys, if I thought that tiny space between the holes and block was going to shred things up in there, I would have been on shoebox's site faster than you can say "catastrophic opti failure".
Old 06-21-2013, 05:25 AM

You know, now that I think about it, since the old one ran fine for so long and actually wasn't bad when you took it off. I don't think your problem is the pin length. I think the bad opti was not assembled correctly.

Think about it. If the pin caused one to go bad in just seconds, why is the other still good after 4 years??????

As far as it not going on correctly, perhaps the cavity the pin goes in had flash around it.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Administrator

You only ran it for 2 minutes, and it "ran bad".... are you sure you had the dowel in the correct location? If it wasn't in the correct hole, that would account for running bad, the fact it wouldn't seat all the way, and the damage to the Opti.

The stock/OEM optical window disc is "flimsy". The disc from my original 94 unit has the same part # on it. It doesn't need bulk.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:31 PM

As far as it not going on correctly, perhaps the cavity the pin goes in had flash around it.
What is flash? Both optisparks looked the same to me.

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You only ran it for 2 minutes, and it "ran bad".... are you sure you had the dowel in the correct location? If it wasn't in the correct hole, that would account for running bad, the fact it wouldn't seat all the way, and the damage to the Opti.

The stock/OEM optical window disc is "flimsy". The disc from my original 94 unit has the same part # on it. It doesn't need bulk.
I'm sure it was in the correct location. When I finally got the dowel pin in the correct hole and there was still that space between the mounting holes, I took the opti back out and purposefully installed it with the dowel pin in the 3 leaf clover-looking area just to make sure I knew what wrong looked like and sure enough there was a centimeter of space again.

Here's a picture. You can see the mark from the dowel pin in the 3 leaf clover area from the first time I tried to install it and didn't realize I wasn't in the hole. Pushed pretty hard there but figured it out after a minute or two of getting nowhere. The mark you see next to the hourglass shaped hole on the bottom... I don't know how that got there.

Name:  IMG_20130621_121759.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  106.3 KB