LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Delteq vs. MSD

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 06:35 PM

Lightbulb Delteq vs. MSD

So i was trying to decide on whether to overhaul the ignition system by upgrading to the MSD Opti, MSD blaster coil, and MSD Digital 6, or i was going to buy a delteq package. Any input for experienced users of both systems? The MSD system is the cheapest and i know that you won't be able to use a Digital-6 on the delteq, well you could but you'd need 4 of them.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:38 PM

Re: Delteq vs. MSD

You wanna go with the Delteq. The MSD is just a cap and rotor replacement.. NOT the whole Opti...
Old 03-16-2005, 06:59 PM

Id go with MSD. Reason being the major flaws in the opti like bearing failure and optical sensor failure are still present with both systems. I really believe the MSD cap/rotor will really improve the reliability and spark potential of the opti. You no longer have to deal with exploding rotors and is supposed to deliver a stronger spark. Combine the digital 6 and coil from MSD you should have a pretty hot ignition system!
Old 03-16-2005, 07:19 PM

actually you can use the MSD DIS4 ignition
made for multi coil ignitions
Old 03-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by turbo_Z
Id go with MSD. Reason being the major flaws in the opti like bearing failure and optical sensor failure are still present with both systems. I really believe the MSD cap/rotor will really improve the reliability and spark potential of the opti. You no longer have to deal with exploding rotors and is supposed to deliver a stronger spark. Combine the digital 6 and coil from MSD you should have a pretty hot ignition system!
Confusing response.... replacing the cap/rotor with an MSD won't do anything for an Opti with a bad bearing or a bad optical sensor. The only thing that would "improve" the back half of the Opti over the stocker might be the Dynaspark.

If you go to the Delteq or LTCC systems, you don't even have to have the rotor in the Opti (no "exploding" rotor), and the cap is unused except as a cover, so you don't run the risk of cross-firing through the internal wires in the Opti cover, or generating the ozone that seems to accelarate corrosion.

I also don't see how a cap made out of a different plastic will provide a stronger spark. The plastic, if it is a superior insulator, and resistant to the multiple spark degradation that Delteq claims can ruin the cap, would solve the cross-firing problem, but I wouldn't think it could increase the spark strength.

Those of us who took the high voltage function out of the Opti have found them faultless. My setup's been running on only the Opti optical sensor for 5 years, with a 7,000+rpm redline.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Confusing response.... replacing the cap/rotor with an MSD won't do anything for an Opti with a bad bearing or a bad optical sensor. The only thing that would "improve" the back half of the Opti over the stocker might be the Dynaspark.

If you go to the Delteq or LTCC systems, you don't even have to have the rotor in the Opti (no "exploding" rotor), and the cap is unused except as a cover, so you don't run the risk of cross-firing through the internal wires in the Opti cover, or generating the ozone that seems to accelarate corrosion.

I also don't see how a cap made out of a different plastic will provide a stronger spark. The plastic, if it is a superior insulator, and resistant to the multiple spark degradation that Delteq claims can ruin the cap, would solve the cross-firing problem, but I wouldn't think it could increase the spark strength.

Those of us who took the high voltage function out of the Opti have found them faultless. My setup's been running on only the Opti optical sensor for 5 years, with a 7,000+rpm redline.

How many miles did you put on your opti in those 5 years? I dont think your car is daily driven.. right? What I mean is most guys complain the of bearing failure or the spark scattering in the upper RPMs(might be the rotor but my guess is a problem with the optical sensor) Even if you use a delteq these problem will still occur... I dunno about that high voltage theory anymore because its just that, a theory. The new MSD unit has a redesigned rotor that is claimed to produce higher spark energy and I cant confirm nor deny that claim however, just by looking at the rotor its clear there will be no more high RPM failures due to the rotor falling appart.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:09 AM

Bring up some excellent posts answered by me in the past and question solved, basically what "Injuneer" said and more, in the end I also red 7k Redline with LTCC, there is no more rotor in my opti so there is no rotor weight, although minimal, at 3500 RPM which is what it turns at when I'm at 7k, it becomes significant, you add high voltage to the rotor and think of the force exerted onto the rotor trying to pull it back, becase as we all know, high voltage tries to glue the rotor to the cap ends when it fires, at full RPM this adds more weight, then the ozone comes into play and all these things kill the small little bearing corrosion not helping, with LTCC you can cut the rotor part off and just leave the middle plastic section which does not weigh anything, then you don't have high voltage pulling on the rotor every time it fires, and you don't have ozone corroding anything, in the end, spin her to 7k RPM all day long I say!
Old 03-17-2005, 06:43 AM

The only Opti-Spark failures I've had so far were high-voltage. But, that's just me.

I'm not sure what a digital 6 is.
But, if it is a capacitive discharge ignition system, I do know that a multiple coil inductive discharge ignition system is superior to capacitive discharge systems at both low and high rpm.
And, inductive discharge (single coil or multi-coil) is much better at below zero cold weather starting than capacitive discharge.

How many OEM systems are capacitive discharge? Wonder why?

Tom Piper
Old 03-17-2005, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Piper
The only Opti-Spark failures I've had so far were high-voltage. But, that's just me.

I'm not sure what a digital 6 is.
But, if it is a capacitive discharge ignition system, I do know that a multiple coil inductive discharge ignition system is superior to capacitive discharge systems at both low and high rpm.
And, inductive discharge (single coil or multi-coil) is much better at below zero cold weather starting than capacitive discharge.

How many OEM systems are capacitive discharge? Wonder why?

Tom Piper
The DIS-6 is as CD. I have never used on of their units, but from everyone that uses it, they say it's awsome. My theory on why OEM doesn't incorporate CD can be realated to the induction of the torque convertor. When it first came out, it was expensive. With the new "stator" to lock-up the tranny and create a 1:1, it might have helped save gas but no one cared back then, so fluid couplings continuded to be used. Factory CD's, especially the R&D, could be expensive to make one work. That might be a reason why. But i'm leaning more towards the delteq or LTCC systems.

Quick question for the people who have them. I was looking into getting the 2-tower GM coil that MSD offers, if it is compatable with the system. Would that be a better choice over the supplied coils? Also, did you guys use to spark plug wires that were provided or did you use a universal kit of MSD or simialr product to make them?
Old 03-17-2005, 11:19 AM

The four coils alone, in a four coil system, not to mention an eight coil system, cost more than the entire CD system to manufacture. Yet, OEM units are not CD.

The old Kettering (inductive discharge) system has many advantages, and with multiple coils that is even true at extremely high rpm where CD used to have an advantage over a single coil system.

Tom Piper