LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

deleting egr air ac...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 02:50 PM

deleting egr air ac...

when i build my motor, i was planning on getting headers with out the provisions for all the emissions crap, and deleting the air pump and the egr and the ac, my question is what problems will this make? i think it will make my check engine light come on, so when i get a tune, can i just get that part tuned out?
Old 10-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, you can get the EGR and AIR systems disabled when you get a tune.

Disabling emissions control systems on a car makes it illegal to drive on the street. I believe that's true for all states. If you live in a state that doesn't do inspections or emissions testing, you'll probably get away with it. If not... you will probably not.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:28 PM

Is there any HP gains made by deleting the air system or does it just clean up the engine bay..
Old 10-01-2008, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by whyrun
Is there any HP gains made by deleting the air system or does it just clean up the engine bay..
No, there are not any power gains, and only a small weigh savings. There is also no power gain from removing EGR.

With a larger cam EGR system do become redundant, which is why some vehicals don't have them.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:30 PM

yeah and im going with an le3 setup, but with the air and egr i really just want to get rid of them because they just clutter up the engine bay, and they just plain look bad

if i get them disabled when i get the tune, will it affect the way my motor runs?

also i know i can get the ac bypass pulley from like auto zone, but where can i get the air pump delete pulley?
Old 10-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Your AIR pump is not driven by the serpentine belt.... its electric.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:35 AM

If you already took the converter off, you do not need the AIR. Just something to think about, if you did take the converter off.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:36 AM

yea my converter is already gone, i didnt know it was electric i have a 3rd gen also and just kinda figured it was belt driven, so i think i will pull all that crap out when i pull my motor
Old 10-02-2008, 10:49 AM

your car is a 95 and thus an obd-1. deleting air and egr should not throw a code, assuming you leave the egr solenoid hooked up. No perormance gains, just cleans up the engine bay. The only reason i deleted mine was becuase my headers didn't have the emissions fittings. Plus, here in MA, all obd-1 cars no longer have to pass emissions
Old 10-03-2008, 04:04 AM

Actually so much as removing the AIR pump fuse in the engine bay will throw a code.. Although I think when I tested this it didn't throw the code until it reached closed loop, and you can just disable the AIR pump system all together with TunerCat, thus no code.

Personally I'm from Socal and living in AZ where we have emissions testing in both places so I have both my AIR and EGR still "installed" but my daily tune doesn't turn them on. When I go for smog I just put my stock tune back on and hope my EGR still does something lol..

As for the 1LE AC delete pulley, when I got mine I checked with Autozone and only the dealer could get it and I had to supply them a part number and have them look the other way on the VIN.. but I got it.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:04 PM

hmmm, i actually work at an auto zone, i can order the ac delete pulley and have it in 2 days or so....
Old 10-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dStruct
Actually so much as removing the AIR pump fuse in the engine bay will throw a code.. Although I think when I tested this it didn't throw the code until it reached closed loop, and you can just disable the AIR pump system all together with TunerCat, thus no code.
Why would you remove the fuse? In the OBD-I system, as long as the fuse is there and "good", you will not get a code. Everything else can be removed... just not the fuse.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:18 PM

so pretty much since my car is obd1 i can pull all this crap off my car, leave the fuse in place, and not have any codes and it wont affect the way the car runs?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:12 AM
Administrator

100% correct. The AIR system only runs for 2-3 minutes at startup to help the cat(s) heat up. Don't forget to cap the connection for the air supply hose on the intake ducting, between the filter and the MAF. I think its a 5/8" vacuum cap.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by chevyrules85
hmmm, i actually work at an auto zone, i can order the ac delete pulley and have it in 2 days or so....
That's funny I work at Autozone too lol, yeah back a couple years ago before I worked there I went in and they didn't have anything for it at all, so I went to a dealer I think I paid around $50 for it..

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Why would you remove the fuse? In the OBD-I system, as long as the fuse is there and "good", you will not get a code. Everything else can be removed... just not the fuse.
That's great to know, I just figured if you disconnect the fuse and it throws a code that removing the AIR blower itself would have the same effect. Man you're just full of all sorts of useful stuff, thanks. =)

Quick Reply: deleting egr air ac...