LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Dart valve offset?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:36 PM

Dart valve offset?

Ok well long story short. Want to put shaft mounts on my new set up. I was wanting to know if anybody knew the valve offset on the dart cylinder heads so that I can make sure to get the right thing. And if somebody has done this before I would like to hear more about it. I'm also up for recomendations on the different manufactorers also. I'm trying to stay below $900 for the set.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:00 AM

Ttt
Old 04-14-2009, 07:48 PM

You can double-check with Dart tech support,
but what they told me is that the valves are in the stock location.
All three of the Dart Pro1 offerings are the same basic casting.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:49 PM

I vaguely recall reading something about a .030" movement. Best to check to be sure though for the specifics.

According to the sheet that came with my Pro 1s, "The valve locations are shifted in order to fit larger valves, and the intake ports are enlarged to increase airflow".

"This causes the intake rocker arms to sit at a slight angle in order to center over the valve tip properly".

The guide plates should be positioned so as to center the rockers over the valve tips and allow the rockers to sit at the angle which provides the correct tip alignment.

"The resulting rocker angle will be different than it would be on a stock head due to the port size and valve location in the Dart heads. This will produce the optimal geometry for performance and longevity".

Things in " (quotes) are taken from a Dart bulletin 5/25/07

Hope this helps.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!

Last edited by JAKEJR; 04-15-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:23 PM

Tell the supplier of the rockers exactly what head you have.

Rich
Old 04-15-2009, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by JAKEJR
I vaguely recall reading something about a .030" movement. Best to check to be sure though for the specifics.

According to the sheet that came with my Pro 1s, "The valve locations are shifted in order to fit larger valves, and the intake ports are enlarged to increase airflow".

"This causes the intake rocker arms to sit at a slight angle in order to center over the valve tip properly".

The guide plates should be positioned so as to center the rockers over the valve tips and allow the rockers to sit at the angle which provides the correct tip alignment.

"The resulting rocker angle will be different than it would be on a stock head due to the port size and valve location in the Dart heads. This will produce the optimal geometry for performance and longevity".

Things in " (quotes) are taken from a Dart bulletin 5/25/07

Hope this helps.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!

The same notice came with my heads thats why I was asking. Judgeing by eye and measureing from the center of each valve tip to the other its the same as the stock casting. But I am not exactly sure the "correct" way of measureing the offset. I am almost certain that stock location shaft mounts will work. But almost certain is still not 100% knowing that it will work out. I want to do this right and only once.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
Tell the supplier of the rockers exactly what head you have.

Rich
Is there any suppliers you have delt with that you would recommend? I am not very familiar with the shaft mounts.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by GreasyB
Is there any suppliers you have delt with that you would recommend? I am not very familiar with the shaft mounts.
Jessel should have what you need.

Rich
Old 04-16-2009, 09:16 AM

I agree. Jesel is top of the line and probably will have what you need, however you can expect the cost to exceed $900.

Crower has a set for the Pro 1s for around $1,300 - 74112 - T&D also makes some less expensive shaft systems and I've read good reports on them. Brodix is another option to check.

Make Google your best friend to find more

Jake

West Point ROCKS!

Last edited by JAKEJR; 04-16-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by JAKEJR
I agree. Jesel is top of the line and probably will have what you need, however you can expect the cost to exceed $900.

Crower has a set for the Pro 1s for around $1,300 - 74112 - T-D also makes some less expensive shaft systems and I've read good reports on them. Brodix is another option to check.

Make Google your best friend to find more

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
That is a little pricey for me. I am still going to go with shaft mounts but I want to get my car going asap. But, gotta pay if you want to play as the ole saying goes.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:42 PM

Why is it on crane cams site they list the same part # between the cylinder heads? Does this mean they are the same offset?

http://cranecams.com/pdf/Page581-583.pdf
Old 04-16-2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by GreasyB
Why is it on crane cams site they list the same part # between the cylinder heads? Does this mean they are the same offset?

http://cranecams.com/pdf/Page581-583.pdf
I think (but am not sure) it means they use the same rockers. IOW, not specific for the Dart heads. Jesel's are specific for the Dart heads. About $900 for the "Sportsman" series.

Rich
Old 04-16-2009, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
I think (but am not sure) it means they use the same rockers. IOW, not specific for the Dart heads. Jesel's are specific for the Dart heads. About $900 for the "Sportsman" series.

Rich
I think I found the dart part # for jesel. Not 100% sure on it but I am going to give them a call tomarrow to confirm. I will let you guys know what I find out.