LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Cutting out water trap in Ram-Air hood. Is it safe to run a straight through ram air?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 12:05 AM

Cutting out water trap in Ram-Air hood. Is it safe to run a straight through ram air?

Ok I have an SLP WS6 hood from a 1996 trans am. It was on my 1995 Firebird Formula when i got it with no Ram-air set up, and it was cracked from the previous owner hitting a deer. I set this hood asside and bought a cowl hood instead of fixing it, which is fine. A friend of mine told me my hood was an SLP though and that i should use that instead. So i am planning on buying the SLP Ram-Air kit for $300 directly from SLP.

Anyway, my question is can i cut out the water trap, the thing that diverts the air down, then back up to keep water from getting on your lid. I also want to cut out the 'divider' and widen the hole a little bit by cutting off the lips where the inserts would go. This is basically going to look like the Ultra-Z hood. I want to know what effects the water will have on my engine though. I know some people run water injection to cool intake temps down to help with combustion, so it cant be too bad unless you hydrolock the engine.

This car is my daily driver, but i don't really need to drive anywhere. I preffer not to drive in the rain because of the 315 drag radials in the rear. It rarely rains hard here, and if it's raining i'm usually never out driving in it.

Main question is, what bad things could happen from this?

Thanks guys,

Shawn
Old 01-10-2005, 12:39 AM

Re: Cutting out water trap in Ram-Air hood. Is it safe to run a straight through ram air?

my neighbor's ta had removed raing guards and he took a dremel and opened the holes another 1/2 inch. he was fine at over 120 in the rain...it wasnt raining too hard, but it was still water flying into the hood. i definitely wouldnt suggest more than about 65 in really hard rain though. his filter was wet, but not drenched.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:46 AM

Re: Cutting out water trap in Ram-Air hood. Is it safe to run a straight through ram air?

Haha well i wouldnt be doing that speed in the rain of all places. I don't even like driving in the rain that much. Thats good to know though. I wasnt sure if it would throw off the MAF or not.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:31 AM

I have my hood fully de-baffled, but I rarely if ever drive in the rain. I could see issues happening if the rain were heavy, and you were driving for a long time in it, otherwise, I'm not really sure.

I honestly wouldn't remove it on a daily driver.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:36 AM
Administrator

I have the baffles completely cut out, and found water in the air filter after towing the car in the rain. I have a foam plug in there now when its on the trailer. Previously, the front baffle had a 1/2" cut off the bottom, and the back baffle had about 1" cut off, and there was no problem driving the car in the rain. But once I cut the front baffle completely out, the rain definitely was reaching the filter.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:08 AM

I have cut my baffles of with no problems. I made a plexy glass peice to cover the area if i ever needed it, but haven't yet.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:20 PM

I just did this. I used a combination of a cutting wheel (a very thick one so it wouldnt break), a dremel cutting bit, and a hacksaw blade. I will get a pic later tonight when i bring the hood back inside. I took it outside to wet sand it.

I took out the middle piece, but left the piece closest to the airbox. That way it's sort of a ramp to force air to the top of the box. I also cut out the "nostril" center piece so it's all one open piece like the Ultra Z hood. I'll be using the piece i cut out to fill the hole where the "nostril" used to be.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:32 PM

Here are some pics i just took.

http://home.earthlink.net/~3.8/siteb...ictures/ho.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~3.8/siteb...ictures/hc.jpg
Old 01-10-2005, 04:35 PM

Thats a pretty rough looking hood man.....
Old 01-10-2005, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by ShawnMacAnanny
That came out sweet
Old 01-10-2005, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by KWIK WS6
That came out sweet
Old 01-10-2005, 06:20 PM

Well the hood hit a deer at 75mph so it's about as sweet as it can look without doing any work to it. I have the first coat of body filler on it now, and it's looking alot better. I just need to buy an electric sander because it's taking too long to do it by hand.

I already have a cowl hood on it which i just repainted yesterday, but i figured i could fix this in about 2 or 3 days, and make my car ram-air. Before i buy the kit im gonna test the hood at high speeds and such to make sure it withstands the wind and all. If it doesnt, oh well i wasted $12 in body filler. No big deal.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:15 PM

This is after the first coat of body filler. I went out and bought a Black and Decker Mouse, which is a vibrating electric sander ($40 @ Wal-mart), and it has been working remarkablely well. I will grind/cut the opening to be even across. I just need to get the top level first. As you can see i fixed about 6 other cracks on the hood of which only 2 will need more filler.

http://home.earthlink.net/~3.8/siteb...tures/bf11.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~3.8/siteb...tures/bf12.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~3.8/siteb...tures/bf13.jpg
Old 01-17-2005, 09:39 PM

Ok here are the pics of the finished hood, none of them on the car yet, but it will look pretty sweet.

http://home.earthlink.net/~3.8/
Old 01-17-2005, 10:25 PM

i plan to cut it out of my car. it never sees rain anymore

Quick Reply: Cutting out water trap in Ram-Air hood. Is it safe to run a straight through ram air?