LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

cutout questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 08:46 PM

cutout questions

ok on my previous f bod my exhaust consisted of a gutted cat, flowmaster with 3 inch tailpipes that went into turndowns. i loved the sound. the gutted cat really helped out. now on my current car, i have 100% stock exhaust. i dont really wanna spend much cash so i was thinking of a cutout. what are the pros and cons? how great does it sound with stock exhaust? i would prolly never close it so would a muffler bypass be better? does any sound still come out of the tailpipes? i think it will look odd if i dont have nothing coming out of the tailpipes during the winter and all the exhaust coming out of the middle of the car? do you get much vibration? the best location by the axle?
Old 02-10-2006, 10:28 PM

Re: cutout questions

i cut the cat off mine and replaced it with my cut out... its money well spent. it will sound a lot louder than your old set up. i don't know about vibration cause i have 2 12's. during the winter... some exhaust will still come out of the tailpipes but not a lot. money well spent. do it. get the copper gaskets tho. others will blow out. and watch for cops. stay off the throttle around them.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:53 PM

Get an e-cutout and you can control it from the driver's seat. Great add on, and about the funnest thing you can add to your car

I have mine mounted right before the exhaust goes over the axle. There's actually an indent in the floor pan which is perfect for the cutout to mount in. There's even a rubber grommet on the bottom of the rear seat to send the wires through.

Thomas.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:03 AM

i may just do a muffler bypass with maybe a 1 or 1.5 inch pipe and got from the intermediate pipe to the tailpipe. any thoughts on that?
Old 02-11-2006, 12:15 PM

why? why not put it right after the y pipe where the cat is... easy to get to plus it bypasses all your piping
Old 02-11-2006, 04:24 PM

Personally, I think a cutout sounds awesome on a stock manifolds/y-pipe LT1. For a mere 30.00, I would say it is a very worthwhile mod. to have. On my old exhaust setup, I had the cutout welded right before the rear axle. That is one of the more popular spots for them.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:31 PM

http://videos.camaroz28.com/search/9...18025002DB.htm

Turn the volume UP to know how it really is

It's tolerably quiet cruising around(I haven't had a problem with cops following me or anything), and sounds like your car is going to rip the road a new a**hole when you floor it

I have an e-cutout, but never really close it much. I only did it a while ago when I was coming home from work at midnight-1am and didn't want the neighbors sh*tting bricks

BTW it's right before the over-the-axle piping. There is a little "notch" in the floorpan, it's almost like it was meant to have a cutout there

And also, in the winter in my experiences the tailpipes still put out a clusterfunk of exhaust so it doesn't look that bad. Only noticable when you're at a stoplight and a light breeze is coming at the side of your car. But still worth it.

When it's raining extremely hard, I also like the close my cutout then because with it on the car vibrates so much by the time the car hydroplanes, you'll be caught off gaurd because you won't feel anything beforehand.