LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

CSR E-WP died...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 06:23 AM

CSR E-WP died...need advice

Alright guys, the motors a H/C lt1 (LE2 package). Put the EWP on with the install. About 250 miles later, the pump just died. I noticed the check guages light come on, looked at the coolant temp--in the red--and immediately shut the car off. In all honesty, the temp was in the red for maybe 5-10 seconds before I shut the car off and coasted to the side of the road.

I got out of the car, heard gurgling. I checked the overflow, and a little bit of steam came out. The fuse to the pump was blown, put a new one in, turned the car on and the fuse blew. Bypassing the fuse doesn't work either, so I assume the pump is dead.

We're going to drain the coolant and oil to see if there's any evidence of a blown head gasket. Is there anything else I should be aware of? Any possible damage I'm looking at? Or did I catch it quickly enough. This sucks.

Thanks for your help guys.

Ian
Old 05-17-2006, 06:32 AM
Banned

Re: CSR E-WP died...need advice

Originally Posted by ZMaster
The fuse to the pump was blown, put a new one in, turned the car on and the fuse blew. Bypassing the fuse doesn't work either, so I assume the pump is dead.

If it was me, the first thing I'd do is create a temporary dedicated circuit with 10 or 8 gauge wire and whatever size fuse the installation instructions suggested.

If the fuse still blows, I'd be thinking "internal short".
If the fuse DIDN'T blow, I'd make the temporary circuit permanent.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:38 AM

Okay, electronics aren't my forte here, so how would I go about doing that? I figured if the pump didn't run with no fuse, ie we ran wire straight to the pump with no fuse, then it was a gonner. Am I missing something here? I really could care less about buying a new pump (althought it would be nice to save some money if I don't need one), I'm just worried that I might have damaged something in the few seconds the car was running in the red.

Thanks for the quick help Lame.

Ian
Old 05-17-2006, 06:52 AM

99% chance that your heads are OK. sounds like you caught it very quickly.

Many times I've forgotten to re-plug my EWP after doing a mod or two and have driven 2 or 3 miles until pegging the cylinder head temp. ooops. And luckily have caused no damage.

Karl
Old 05-17-2006, 11:08 AM

I had the same damn thing happen to me.CSR dont put left handed threads the impeller is supposed to spin counterclockwise so its constantly trying to loosen the impeller.I had the impeller back off wedge against the housing and lock the shaft,thats why i kept blowing my fuse and it did cause me to blow a headgasket.Sorry for the mishap put it this way i got rid of the CSR and went with a Meziere they use a pressed on impeller with a lock allen.CSR was going to warrenty my pump but not my engine thier only response was"well it should have had loctite on it".
Old 05-17-2006, 11:50 AM

They are normally good at replacing them, but you will probably have to cover shipping...
Old 05-17-2006, 09:16 PM

$#$%%^^%$$, Is this bad luck or what, i read this post this morning and the same damn thing happened to me like 2 hours ago. Car damn near over heated and the fuse was blown... pulled it out and the impeller was striped out and pulled right off of the motor shaft... good thing i was close to home so i could start it for a few sec and coast home. Worst thing is i am stuck at home now and need to be back at school this weekend. Anyway i have my pump wired to spec and i think it is rotating clockwise looking at the impeller, is this correct???