LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Crankshaft Hub and Balancer fell off!!! Big Problem or Small Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:34 PM

Crankshaft Hub and Balancer fell off!!! Big Problem or Small Problem?

Alright I was driving down the road and then I seen nothing from the alt and everything was dim. Pulled over to see that the crank center bolt was laying on the ground burning hot and the belt and crankshaft hub still connected to the balancer, all on the ground. Then I looked inside the hub and it seemed like it spun on the crank and had shavings all in it and looked like a brake rotor from the inside. The crankshaft was hot, and it looked the same like if it had been spinning on it. So im guessing worst case scenario the bolt stripped and crank hub wont fit so ima have to pull the engine. But could it be possible to get a new hub, see if it fits tight still and get a new bolt in there? I think the crank stripped a little in the middle, is it possible to get the threads fixed or something while in the car? I need to get opinions, not sure how it happened, my thoughts are the center bolt came loose, the belt was so tight it was spinning the crank hub assembly and worn it out so much that the damn thing finally came off. THanks
Old 04-04-2007, 06:51 PM

You might be able to get away with just replacing the hub and new bolt, but I would get one from thunder racing. They are machined for a woodruff key to keep the hub from spinning on the crank. Not sure how bad it really is (hub and crank), but sounds like you need a new hub anyway. I put one of these hubs on my car during my first cam swap. I am in the Dallas area too.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:57 PM

part number or link to the hub? I see a place for a key but theres no room on the stock hub but on the crank there is. Its not bad, the bolt has like no threads but considering the bolt is cooper or aluminum, sure it didnt strip the crank cuz the crank is nodular iron and really strong.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mike96z
part number or link to the hub? I see a place for a key but theres no room on the stock hub but on the crank there is. Its not bad, the bolt has like no threads but considering the bolt is cooper or aluminum, sure it didnt strip the crank cuz the crank is nodular iron and really strong.
I dont feel like looking for the PN, just go on thunderracing.com and look around, basically its a hub for the lt1 that is cut out for the key, i think using that and a new bolt after you clean out the threads w/ a tap should be fine
Old 04-04-2007, 11:02 PM

I think thunder racing just buys stock ones and keys them, is that correct.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mike96z
I think thunder racing just buys stock ones and keys them, is that correct.
I believe that is basically what they sell. If your crank snout has been damaged enough to where the hub does not fit tight onto it, IMHO you are going to need to replace the crank (or somehow make the hub tight enough so there is no slack). Even if you get a keyed hub, if the interference fit is too loose, you will have problems.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:05 PM

From the sound of it I wonder if the heat involved here broke down the oil on that front main.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:22 PM

Not sure but I just got a new keyed hub, it fits tight on it but the bolt will not go into the crank, I think the threads are screwed really bad, dont really have time to pull the damn engine again. This **** sucks.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:18 AM

Run a thread tap through the snout to clean up the threads, it may help keep you from pulling it.