LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

could loose lash on lifter cause stumble?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 01:49 PM

Question could loose lash on lifter cause stumble?

Would it be expected that if several lifters are out of adjustment, that I would feel a studder & vibration in a specific RPM range?

Would a bad lifter cause this scenerio?

2-3k I can feel what seems like a miss. I also hear a lot of valvetrain noise from what seems to be 1 or several specific lifters, but not all....

Adam
Old 06-12-2007, 02:13 PM

Define "stutter" and "vibration" and "specific" rpm range.

I.e, in gear or out of gear.

If you hear excessively loud valve train (I know---define "excessive") anyway you might consider readjusting your valve train as a starting point.

Basically there are an unlimited number of symptoms. e.g. stutter, vibration, stumbling, miss, hesitation, etc. Not able to experience what you can, puts us at a disadvantage, so the more specific you are the better these guys/gals might be able to help.

I know it's difficult to explain sometimes. E.g. I can easily hear my Pass side valve train, whereas the Driver's side seems quieter. Does that mean the Pass side needs adjustment or are there other things that make one side louder than the other. Wished I knew.

Also, are you losing power at a certain rpm? What is your idle RPM?

Good luck.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:33 PM

I would call it a stumble with a vibration.

I can feel it while the car is out of gear, it can be heard VIA the exhaust as well.

I notice it the most when in gear, normal driving, 2-3 k rpm...

I can feel it in my seat, Etc.

I originally thought it was an ingition miss, replaced ICM, plugs, Etc..

Moved to injectors, replaced those, no resolution..

I can certainly hear what sounds like just a few specific rockers clicking pretty badly.

Makes full power at full throttle, and the vibration is not nearly as evident if I move thru the lower RPM range a little quicker, say 40% throttle, rather than the normal 5-10% acceleration.

Adam
Old 06-12-2007, 03:06 PM

I use a stethoscope (cheapie from autozone) to listen to my valve covers. If the noise is coming from the left bank (d's side) should be easy to pull that cover and check it out. If your rocker (s) are really loose, might want to check it out before you experience some damage.

Most of our problems seem to require going through the process of elimination, starting with the easiest or most obvious ones and narrowing the possiblities. I notice that many just start replacing things (much like a dealer might do) e.g. plugs, wires, coils, optis, etc. But I think it is more efficient to make sure what you have is ok. I.e check for vac leaks, missing plugs, bad wire (s) sensors and valves. Be sure and let us know what you find. But as I said, one at a time, otherwise you might not know which thing was the fix. JMHO