LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Cost to replace LT1 plugs and plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 02:12 PM

Cost to replace LT1 plugs and plug wires

I have been quoted $900 to replace the plugs and plug wires on my 96 Z28. This seems a bit high. What do you think?

I don't have the capability to do this work myself. Also my car has headers, not long tube.

Thanks very much,

James

Last edited by james96z28; 01-20-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:17 PM

Re: Cost to replace LT1 plugs and plug wires

Originally Posted by james96z28
I have been quoted $900 to replace the plugs and plug wires on my 96 Z28. This seems a bit high. What do you think?

I don't have the capability to do this work myself. Also my car has headers, not long tube.

Thanks very much,

James
Changing the plugs and wires on these cars with stock manifolds is a bit of a daunting task but by no means is $900 a fair price. Probably more like $300-$400 if done by a dealer would be my guess.

Also your post is a bit confusing. What do you mean your car "has headers, not long tube?" Long tubes ARE headers. Perhaps you mean stock manifolds?

And what makes you think you need to change plugs and wires? Are any burned? Are they OEM?
Old 01-20-2013, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Changing the plugs and wires on these cars with stock manifolds is a bit of a daunting task but by no means is $900 a fair price. Probably more like $300-$400 if done by a dealer would be my guess.

Also your post is a bit confusing. What do you mean your car "has headers, not long tube?" Long tubes ARE headers. Perhaps you mean stock manifolds?

And what makes you think you need to change plugs and wires? Are any burned? Are they OEM?
Thank you and sorry about that, the header statement is confusing.. I have headers on my car but I forgot what they are called. Maybe mid length?? I know they are not shorty or long tube.
The reason I am getting them replaced is because I have one plug wire that is burned halfway through per the repair shop. I figured I would just get them all replaced plus the plugs just to be on the safe side. They are not OEM, they were replaced last March.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:47 PM

Around $100 for parts and TIME for install.

not easy at all to route the wires in the factory location. With headers the plugs will be a little easier but the wires are hard especially on the passenger side.

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 01-20-2013, 02:50 PM

I second that I just did plugs and wires and passenger side is a bit tricky. But 900 seems pretty high I understand the shops gotta pay bills to but I'd consider other options
Old 01-20-2013, 04:06 PM

I looked back at the receipt when the plugs and wires were replaced March of last year and it cost $800 at another shop.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by james96z28
I looked back at the receipt when the plugs and wires were replaced March of last year and it cost $800 at another shop.
Good lord. Sorry to say but you're getting absolutely raped.

Out of curiosity why are you unable to do it yourself? You could have saved yourself over $1500.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Good lord. Sorry to say but you're getting absolutely raped.

Out of curiosity why are you unable to do it yourself? You could have saved yourself over $1500.
I have a bad back from 2 back surgeries I had last June. I wouldn't have had a clue how or anywhere near the right tools to do the job in March which is when I first got the car. Plus I was having back trouble then.
Labor rates are high here in Houston - $95 - $100 hour and everyone I've talked to not including the two shops, say this is about an 8 hour job or longer.
I don't have any relatives or friends that could do the job.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:39 PM

Maybe someone on here lives near you and could help you out. that price is ridiculous

Old 01-20-2013, 04:41 PM

No way it takes that long though, just a long add your writes are out of harms way they will be ok. Maybe an hour or so for the plugs. Drivers side is fairly easy. Passenger side I found to be easier from underneath. If I remember right the front passenger plug is the hardest.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chet1185
No way it takes that long though, just a long as your wires are out of harms way they will be ok. Maybe an hour or so for the plugs. Drivers side is fairly easy. Passenger side I found to be easier from underneath. If I remember right the front passenger plug is the hardest.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:57 PM

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Can the wires be routed safely other than the factory way? Also, does the alternator, starter, water pump and power steering pump have to be removed to do this work?
Old 01-20-2013, 05:51 PM

Only the alternator needs to be removed to get to #2 plug.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:17 PM

Ive seen people route over the valve covers and down(id probably lean that way myself as id feel less apt to burn on my headers) but assume you would need cut to fit. I know id take the starter off for sure. The price they quoted you is twice as high as the bill from a local dealership a few years back for me on some insurance work I had done and the wires were like over$200. If I were you try getting a price from a couple of the service departments at the dealership. For the price quoted you could convert to coil per cyllander(all the parts and probably 100 towards labor). Drivers side plugs are pretty easy. Passenger side not so much. What side burned? What kind of wires did you use at the last replacement because if they are quality might be best to just replace the burned one and check that plug. Sorry just hard to consider $900 for just plugs and wires.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by slick1hunting
Ive seen people route over the valve covers and down(id probably lean that way myself as id feel less apt to burn on my headers) but assume you would need cut to fit. I know id take the starter off for sure. The price they quoted you is twice as high as the bill from a local dealership a few years back for me on some insurance work I had done and the wires were like over$200. If I were you try getting a price from a couple of the service departments at the dealership. For the price quoted you could convert to coil per cyllander(all the parts and probably 100 towards labor). Drivers side plugs are pretty easy. Passenger side not so much. What side burned? What kind of wires did you use at the last replacement because if they are quality might be best to just replace the burned one and check that plug. Sorry just hard to consider $900 for just plugs and wires.
If the routing over the valve cover is an ok way of routing the wires then I may just replace the #6 plug wire (the burned one). I heard of the coil per cylinder setup. What is the name of the product? I'm not sure what brand Flintstone used last time, but there is actually one ran alongside the valve cover on the driver's side of the engine. I think they may be AC Delco, but not sure. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Cost to replace LT1 plugs and plug wires