LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Coolant in CAT - problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 01:45 PM

Coolant in CAT - problem?

OK, so I finally got the engine out of the car and am in the process of swapping the intake from the '94 to the '93 LT1. Upon removing the exhaust manifolds (yeah, no long tubes yet) I found rusty water residue in the exhaust ports 3 and 5, so I know now which cylinders were affected by either a blown head gasket or a cracked head. Anyway, my question is: Has the water that appears to have gone through the catalytic converter ruined it, or is it still OK to use?

Also, I have an O2 sensor that one of the wires got pulled/broken off. It is the one that attaches to the outside of the O2 sensor that goes to the exhaust manifold. The wire appears to have been soldered to the clip. Is it worth trying to resolder? Or are there replacement "patch" cables so that I don't have to buy a whole now O2 sensor just for the clip?

Thanks!

Greg
Old 05-19-2013, 02:49 PM

Re: Coolant in CAT - problem?

I would try to re-use the cat. Run the engine with the exhaust off after the cat to burn off any water/coolant that may still be inside. Typically this is a big issue with aftertreatment filters and catalysts in EPA07+ capable diesel applications in which the coolant renders the catalyst and filter incapable of meeting emissions requirements. The same applies here if you're required to meet the sniffer. In either case, my example and in your situation, try it then only replace if necessary.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:41 PM

Re: Coolant in CAT - problem?

Hey thanks! Fortunately for me I live in a remote enough area that emissions testing is not yet required. Good information you provided. You a diesel mechanic or something?

I'll give it try without the exhaust hooked up and see what kind of effluent gets expelled.

Take care!

Greg