LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Comp cams may have ruined my engine(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 10:01 PM

Re: Comp cams may have ruined my engine(pics)

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Good luck with that....

The Comp R's are failing in various instances, but the rocker arms are not. Reread OldSStrokers post, it's not a mechanical failure that caused his issue but someone not knowing what to look for or that something is wrong. You have to inspect the parts before you install them, I've had parts from many compaies that were mislabeled in the box or the wrong part, I don't have a issue I just send them back and get a new set.

Bret

This isnt a matter of them sending the wrong part that you would notice its a matter of them sending all the correct parts but one. That is comps error not the buyer or the installer. Buy all you want from them but I for one will not buy from anyone that wont take actions for what they do wrong
Old 10-13-2005, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by camaroKid223
Buy all you want from them but I for one will not buy from anyone that wont take actions for what they do wrong
Then you are going to be SOL in the aftermarket high performance world. I guarantee you no other company will compensate for this type of error since it should've been caught long before the components were ever installed.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:52 PM
Banned

Yep, nobody else does either.....

Guys this sport ain't cheap and when you aren't really carefull it gets more expensive.

It sucks but it's the truth.

Bret
Old 10-14-2005, 05:38 AM

If the parts went on the car then it is no longer Comp's fault. Sorry bud.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:32 PM

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1090964/rr1.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1090964/rr2.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1090964/rr3.jpg

Here's the difference for those of you who have never seen both.

So then I guess its ok for me to sell some of my trashed parts as long as they look OK. Why should I have them checked? If someones engine blows up its not my fault for "consequential damages." Like the cam my mech says is bent...looks fine to me and probably whoever buys it. But hey it's not my job to check it it's theres. They should assume its bent and get it checked before putting it on. Ecspecially because it's used and not even in an unopened box!!!
Old 10-14-2005, 05:23 PM

when installing SA RR (or any RR for that matter)you always check for proper engagement of the roller tip across the top of the valve. This is to make sure you have the proper lenghth pushrods. this is important for a couple reasons: side load of the valve and run off of the roller. I agree with most on this subject it sucks but your mech should have caught it.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by SuperDavez28
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1090964/rr1.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1090964/rr2.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1090964/rr3.jpg

Here's the difference for those of you who have never seen both.

So then I guess its ok for me to sell some of my trashed parts as long as they look OK. Why should I have them checked? If someones engine blows up its not my fault for "consequential damages." Like the cam my mech says is bent...looks fine to me and probably whoever buys it. But hey it's not my job to check it it's theres. They should assume its bent and get it checked before putting it on. Ecspecially because it's used and not even in an unopened box!!!

OK, so you are still venting. When you get it out of your system, show these pics to the 'mechanic' who installed the parts. He's the one that missed the NSA rocker. He needs to bite the bullet and help make it right for you. I guess it depends on what you hired him to do. If he did it as a favor and you didn't pay him, you pretty much got what you paid for.

Yep, life's a bitch sometimes. Many of us learn from our mistakes. Yours was an expensive lesson. Get your free replacement rocker from Comp, have someone like Golens (as you indicated) look at it and give you an estimate, and start negotiating with your 'mechanic'. If he's an up-front guy he may help you out some. I don't mean doing the work, I mean helping pay for the repair. At the very least he should be willing to refund anything you paid him.

Suggestion: discuss things with him in a reasonable manner. If you blame all your current problems on Comp, your 'mechanic' will certainly agree, and won't have any reason to repay you. Get all the ranting out of your system first. That will help a lot. BT,DT.

You can sell any parts you wish. Offer them on an "as is" basis, which is pretty standard for used (or fallen-off-the-truck) parts. Yes, it is Caveat emptor, or "let the buyer beware". That applies in almost every case. It's the buyer's responsibility to assure he got what he paid for. Don't you wish it was Caveat venditor or Caveat vendor, meaning "let the seller beware"?

FWIW, it may be about time to run down the sympathy flag. Most of us feel your pain, but we're trying to help get you thru it and get healthy again.

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by OldSStroker
OK, so you are still venting. When you get it out of your system, show these pics to the 'mechanic' who installed the parts. He's the one that missed the NSA rocker. He needs to bite the bullet and help make it right for you. I guess it depends on what you hired him to do. If he did it as a favor and you didn't pay him, you pretty much got what you paid for.
Do you guys that keep defending Comp think that they have no responsibility at all? Yes i understand that race parts can't be warrantied because of the abuse but if they send you the wrong part its their fault. I know Comp will never make things right, but at least agree its their fault.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:58 PM

NO!

It is not their fault. Grow up and stop being a whinny little bitch.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
Do you guys that keep defending Comp think that they have no responsibility at all? Yes i understand that race parts can't be warrantied because of the abuse but if they send you the wrong part its their fault. I know Comp will never make things right, but at least agree its their fault.
In this case both Comp and the buyer/installer are at fault. Comp's responsibility is to replace the incorrect rocker with the correct one. It's the buyer's responsibility to make sure the parts are correct before installing them just as it is the buyer's responsibility to install them correctly.

Sorry, but it's not the seller's responsibility to pay for the collateral damage. Ask your lawyer.

(OldSS gets up on soapbox) It's not about the big guy vs. the little guy. If you spill Mickey D's hot coffee in your crotch driving away from the restaurant, it shouldn't be McD's fault that you boiled your nu....er body parts. If you ordered black and they put sugar in it, they should give you the correct coffee when you return it, but if you drink it anyway and you have a reaction to the sugar, it's not their responsibility to pay your healthcare bills.

Is it? Some in our litigous society think it is. I'm not one of them.

(Gets down off soapbox)

I guess I could have been more to the point like MachinistOne.

Last edited by OldSStroker; 10-14-2005 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:25 PM

Interesting the different take of the older, more experienced guys and the younger folks. I assume you posted to help you decide how to handle the situation. You can take the advice you were given for what you paid for it or you can try and learn from us "older and wiser" guys. The OldSStroker said it well in his last post. Talk to the mech about it. If he's a stand up guy he will work with you on this as some of the responsibility is his. But some is yours and some is Comp's. Plenty of blame to go around, I guess.

Best of luck with this.

Rich
Old 10-14-2005, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
Got it. So we are really agreeing? IF you are doing the whole job. you are responsible for the whole job. If the customer supplies parts/materials or labor, it is kind of a gray area. And like I said, in my real job (medicine) we absolutely try to avoid this. Sometimes a patient is on a medication or uses a device we are not familiar with, do not stock, or whatever. In that case, they use their own but we have them sign a waiver which indicates that we cannot vouch for what they have supplied.

Rich

he means that if i called him needing 56 yards of concrete with fiber in it and he sends me 50 yards with fiber and 6 with out fiber and those 56 yards are part of a footer for a building or house or slab or anything that requires concrete then he would have to pay for my labor and material to tear it up and redo the whole thing.

i agree comp cams should pay for the engine. but its also due to the mechanics incompantency. Its not just compcams fault its the mechanics too. he should have checked every rocker supplyed. He should have checked to see if there nsa or sa, checked the ration on every rocker. he should have checked the stud length on every stud, ect. when i used to work at various shops and a customer brought a part to us it was our obligation to check to see if that part was the right one or if it was even good. any mechanic whos a real mechanic (ase cert) should have noticed that the rocker was diffrent. i would make the shop pay and its up to them to make comp cams pay. you have a chain of command so to speak to follow. its just like if a house i build for a customer collapses before i co on it then i have to pay to rebuild it but thats what i have insurance for to pay for mistakes or accidents . now if i find that it was due to a faulty laminated beam holding the roof up then it is then my duty to bring this issue to the company that made the beam and make them reimberse me for the damage there beam caused. the shop has top have general liability and that should pay for your motor. if not i would see them in court.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:44 PM

I am not an expert on these things, but do know what I am doing to an LT-1. Unfortunately the way the system works, you're probably not going to get them to pay. If you paid a mechanic and he ordered the parts, then he don't have a case to stand on. The mechanic should have know to verify what he was putting on anyways. The only way you are going to get Comp Cams to pay anything is with a lawyer. I agree the system sucks, I don't feel it is ethically right for Comp to send a wrong part and not be to blame. Thats why there is quality assurance. But the others also have a point, you should have checked. Unofrtunately you the odds aren't in your favor. Good luck.

ZMAN
Old 10-14-2005, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by ZMAN Z28
The only way you are going to get Comp Cams to pay anything is with a lawyer.

ZMAN
No lawyer with at least 1 brain cell is going to go after Comp in this matter.

I hate to see this happen to young guys getting into this hobby but that's the breaks. The crusty old ones are giving good advice. I still have high hopes for Gen Y'ers.

-Mindgame
Old 10-14-2005, 09:16 PM

Here are a few things to consider....

Most performance parts manufacturers have a disclaimer that states they will repair or replace the part if it is defective, or incorrect. They will not pay for any damages caused by the use of their products. This limit of liability protects them from having to repair your motor. You agree to this buy installing the parts & they all say this in some way or another. If you cannot deal with this, then do not modify your car. I do not agree with this theory, but is a fact of business.

If they took responsibility for everything, performance parts wold be priced like step ladders. 20% material cost & 80% decals & insurance to cover the liability. or

....Aircraft parts. Ever pay $30K for a rebuilt motor that would cost $1000 in parts if it was used for something else? The liability for a failure makes the cost rediculous, but at least it is not common that you plummet to your death if your car engine breaks.

As far as my personal experiences in engine building.....

I have received a main bearing that was the incorrect size in a set. Would they buy me a motor if it blew up because of it.... no. Of course not. I was smart enough to check the clearances & find the mistakes before things like that happen.

I built a new motor & the head came off one of the exhaust valves within 1 week. It did a lot of damage.... and what did I get? A new $32 valve. The rest was my problem. (Piston, balance, rings, rehone, gaskets & of course a new head) I guess I could have x-rayed the valves, but that is not cost effective. It happens, no matter how careful you are & often the builder gets stuck with the expense.

I also got a set of pushrods that were not properly hardened & started chewing themselves up on the guideplates. Fortunately the painful exercise of retorqueing the heads saved the motor. Otherwise the motor would have been filled with shavings & I would not have known until it broke. I got new pushrods free, but still had to change them. I now slide a flat file across new pushrods to see if they are hard. If it digs in, they are not hardened.

Recently had a valve bend in an LS1 motor in only a few hundred miles. Whose fault is it? Spring pressure was correct & rev limiter should have prevented any damage. The pushrod was severely bent as well. Owner claims he did not miss a gear or shift into the wrong gear. Should I pay or should the customer? It was clearly 100% not my fault. I bought the valve & gaskets & agreed to change everything. I also reshimmed the springs back to max recommended tension for the best margin of safety. This was cheap insurance. It is a hard lesson learned, but you have to preserve your reputation.

This is not a easy profession to be in. The customer always blames you, but sometimes you have to expect to cover the costs, even if you are the innocent bystander.

Moral of the story.....
Comp should give you a new rocker.
Your mechanic should have properly checked & installed the parts.
You should not have driven the car without a thorough checkout. This would have prevented a catastrophy.

Last edited by Lonnie Pavtis; 10-14-2005 at 09:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Comp cams may have ruined my engine(pics)