LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Combination Motorsports 612 Spring FAILURE

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 12:14 PM

Re: Combination Motorsports 612 Spring FAILURE

I've been running the 612s for about 3500 miles know with great success. If your on a budget they're a good spring to use with a lot of the cams out there. However if you're gonna expect them to perform as well and reliable as a dual spring it's not gonna happen, you get what you pay for. A lot of the cams out there run aggresive ramps to make more power out of a similar duration cam to preserve the driveability of a smaller cam yet make the power of a bigger one. This evidently puts a lot more strain on your springs and things are bound to happen. When you are extracting performance out of your car reliability tends to degrade. In random cases like this i don't think they can really do anything than offer you a new set or your money back. The problem that the 918s had a while ago is a different story though, i believe comp actually got sued several times by costumers who had the break.
With that being said when i'm not spraying I shift at 6700-6800 rpms and haven't had any trouble with valve float. I have actually taken the motor higher than that by accident on one occassion and they're still all intact. I had the rev limiter removed when with my tuning and was doing a burnout a didn't pay attention to my rpms and when i looked down the tach was buried( guessing i was at 7200). I blew both the intake and exhaust lifters(literally blew out the internals of them)on the number one cylinder, i'm sure several others were also collapsed, as well as bending a total of 11 pushrods and none of the springs broke. After putting in a new set of pushrods and lifters the motor ran fine. Recently I blew a head gasket and when i pulled the heads none of the pistons had any visiable nicks in them. I can say that i'm very impressed with them but am going to go to a dual spring when i get my heads done.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:58 PM

spinner, I meant use the strut tower brace to "hold" it, not raise it. that way, you can lower out the kmember from under the engine to get lots of clearance for the oil pan. Ive done the jack on the balancer thing to in the past, but I dont like to put force on my crank. I dont need to put any more stress on the crank or bearings then I already do w/my bad driving habits.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:56 PM

Hi guys,

I am not hear to bad mouth anyone but man I have to say something about this

Beware who have the cc motorsports 612 springs with dampers.
I am also not pleased with the valve springs ( i just had to replace a high dollar motor due to a damper failure with these springs (with less the 20 k on the set up) i understand i am also a vendor on the board but man a simple notice to change the valve springs without the damper and maybe some new springs would have been nice if they new they had a problem (i noticed their new spring no longer have dampers) (who's going to pay me for my time and labor ......................???)
i just put a recall to all my customers who I sent to cc motorspaorts for the 612 springs.
I am so upset that it was something like this that took out my motor. If it was one spring or damper broken then I can understand but, 10 out of 16 is not a freak of nature. I have some other words I would like to say about this but I will keep it to myself...

Check out what i pulled out of my oil pan over the weekend
out of 16 valve springs 10 had a damper failure and this is with only the comp cam 224/236/114 low lift version cam

http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?&...d=475211689103

Some motor swap pictures
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.js...1&sort_order=0

Last edited by Maldo; 10-27-2004 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:00 PM

What's a damper?
Old 10-27-2004, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by madwolf
What's a damper?

Valve spring Damper : It is a flat wound spring coil inside the outer valve spring which becasue of it's rubbing contact on the inner surface of the coils produces a friction-dampening effect on vavle spring surge(harmonics)

hope this helps
Old 10-27-2004, 03:25 PM

Anyone have a picture of the damper? I can't visualize this.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Maldo
Valve spring Damper : It is a flat wound spring coil inside the outer valve spring which becasue of it's rubbing contact on the inner surface of the coils produces a friction-dampening effect on vavle spring surge(harmonics)

hope this helps
Actually, I don't believe that they work by rubbing, but by having a different spring rate than the main spring. I could be wrong though.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:23 PM

I helped put a set on a friends car well over a year ago and they had no dampner. Mine that I just put on had none. I was unaware that EX612 springs EVER had one???
Old 10-27-2004, 09:05 PM

I have a set of CM612's that are (were) getting ready to go on a set of heads. What is verdict on the best spring to use with say a 224/236 112LSA cam? I don't want to do this twice and even worse screw up an engine....... thanks for any insight anyone can provide.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:12 PM
Texas Moderator (1998-2009)

Originally Posted by TheHeadFL
I helped put a set on a friends car well over a year ago and they had no dampner. Mine that I just put on had none. I was unaware that EX612 springs EVER had one???

The EX612's have always been a single valvespring setup. The only EX valvesprings they offer in a dual coil variety are the EX618's.. These have a damper in between the inner and outer spring. One way to really go and screw up a damper is to get the installed height set wrong. Too tight of a height compared to cam lift and you're about guaranteed to cause something to fail. Be it collapsed lifters, bent pushrods, flattened cam lobes, broken valve springs.. Or a combination of the 4.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:04 AM

I was thinking I was crazy but I just pulled the paper work that was sent from cc motor sports when I bought the cam and spring package and it has the 612 springs on the list of items … so I am wondering what they sent me was wrong ?? I will take detailed pictures of the heads when I disassemble them tomorrow to show all what was sent to me and what happen and the damage to the motor.

Also I contacted cc motorsports this afternoon and still have not heard back from them pertaining this issue.

Again i am not here to bad mouth anyone but i know i set up these heads correctly and i can't see why this would have a failure like this.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by 95 Z/28 LT1
Actually, I don't believe that they work by rubbing, but by having a different spring rate than the main spring. I could be wrong though.

http://www.iskycams.com/pdfcatalog/PAGE187.pdf

Check out this page ...
Old 10-28-2004, 06:39 AM

Thanks for sharing this info. It helps us make decisions about the products we purchase.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:45 AM

For what it's worth, I've had the 611 springs (from what I remember I received 611's, not 612's) and they've held up for over a year and a half now. The car has tons of passes down the track and I did the complete cam install myself, no problems ever.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:56 AM

Hmmmm I must be a freak of nature becasue this car has seen 0 track time
for this year ... i will know more info when i pull the heads apart tonight and i will be sure to get some good pictures ....

Quick Reply: Combination Motorsports 612 Spring FAILURE