LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

coil over?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:28 AM

coil over?

can someone explain what the coil pack or coil over system does for an lt1. i know it is an improvement to the optispark but what does it do and is it really worth the money
Old 09-29-2009, 05:22 AM
Administrator

If you opt for a system like the Bailey LTCC, you eliminate the high voltage function from the Opti, eliminating many of the problems related to it. It still uses the Opti's optical cam position sensor. The EFIConnection system substitutes a new cam position sensor, and uses an LSx PCM to run 8 direct fire coils, elminating the Opti completely.

The Opti has a much worse reputation than it deserves, and many people have managed to run reliably with high power output, on the stock Opti distributor, and conventional single coil. For stock through moderately high HP applications, the stock system should work, although some people wrestle with the supposed 7,000rpm limit of the technology.

For a very severe power adder applications - very high boost, or a lot of nitrous - the coil-per-cylinder can provide a stronger spark, simply because it is capable building voltage/storing energy over a longer time period than a coil that is required to fire 8 time per pair of crank revolutions.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:20 AM

I know this may sound stupid, but how many coil packs are on a 3.8 liter V6? I thought it was only one, but a friend said there are 3 seperate ones. One for each 2 plugs.... My 1998 Camaro is running really rough. Code for "multiple cylinder misfire" is what is coming up. Just had the catalytic conv. replaced. Was bad, but didn't cure the problem. Please help!! I want my baby back!!
Old 05-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Your V6 has an ignition control module, with a set of three dual-tower coils sitting on top of it. Each coil fires two plugs.... one for a cylinder approaching TDC on the compression stroke (ignites the A/F mixture), and one for a cylinder approaching TDC on the exhaust stroke (spark does nothing - is "wasted"). This is call a waste (or lost) spark system. It is the result of using only a crank position sensor to set the ignition timing, and as a result the PCM not knowing where an individual cylinder is in the 4-stroke cycle. Failure of a coil can affect two cylinders.

Have you scanned the PCM for codes? If it is done with a scanner with "GM enhanced parameters", it will tell you which cylinders are misfiring, which will sometimes lead you to the source of the problem.

You need to post this problem on the "V6 Tech" forum.