LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Clutch install guide

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 10:42 PM

Clutch install guide

I didnt get much a reponse in the drivetrain section

Im doing a clutch install this weekend. Im having difficulty finding someone with experience to help me. Anyone know of a website that is very descriptive? I have the haynes manual and Ive looked on projectTransAm.com and did a search but the results are kind of vague. Also any special tools needed(aside from the alignment tool thats included)?

I think I have a pretty good idea, but Id rather be certain. Im in the Houston area if anybody would be willing to help.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:14 PM

Talking

Doing a clutch install isn't really that hard, it's just time consuming if you've never done it before. I've done this many times and don't think it's too much work. If you have a good set of air tool it makes the job so much easier. Just make sure you get the car at least a foot in the air and have lots of extensions and a breaker bar. getting the transmission off without lots of swivels and extensions is difficult. Also, the shift fork bolt is a 13mm and is tricky to get to. However, once you get the transmission bolts off and pull the tranny out a few inches you can just grab the bottom of the fork and pull it down some. Don't try to take it out cause it won't come out unless you unbolt it. Trust me there's not too much room to unbolt it. Everything else is easy just unbolt the bellhousing, pressure plate and your there. Might wanna buy a torque wrench to get all the bolts installed right. Just search the internet if you have any more questions. There are a few good places but I can't remember where.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:56 AM

Thanks
Old 02-06-2004, 01:09 AM

got 139k on the motor huh. My friend and I have re-built 3 lt1's so far. Let me know and we can help you out
Old 02-06-2004, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by ftransam1
Doing a clutch install isn't really that hard, it's just time consuming if you've never done it before. I've done this many times and don't think it's too much work. If you have a good set of air tool it makes the job so much easier. Just make sure you get the car at least a foot in the air and have lots of extensions and a breaker bar. getting the transmission off without lots of swivels and extensions is difficult. Also, the shift fork bolt is a 13mm and is tricky to get to. However, once you get the transmission bolts off and pull the tranny out a few inches you can just grab the bottom of the fork and pull it down some. Don't try to take it out cause it won't come out unless you unbolt it. Trust me there's not too much room to unbolt it. Everything else is easy just unbolt the bellhousing, pressure plate and your there. Might wanna buy a torque wrench to get all the bolts installed right. Just search the internet if you have any more questions. There are a few good places but I can't remember where.
I was going to say that you don't have to remove the fork pivot bolt any just pull the fork down off the throwout bearing.

Joe