LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

chevy stock injectors vs Ford SVO .....

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 06:19 PM

chevy stock injectors vs Ford SVO .....

If I changed my 97 LT1 stock injectors to the SVO 4 pintle injectors (pound for pound) do you think I would get any performance (mileage wise and better burn) from them?

Heck if they got me .5 miles to the gallon more, they would pay for themselves over thier life time, lol.

Last edited by SSCamaro; 08-03-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:36 PM

Re: chevy stock injectors vs Ford SVO .....

The SVOs are rated at 39psi as opposed to our 43.5psi so the 24lbs SVOs are bigger than our 24lbs injectors.
Far as performance if you think injectors are even vaguely capable of providing any performance gain your knowledge level is fairly low.
The ONLY way a "performance" injector can gain you power is if it replaces a faulty one or one that was too small. Milage too the only way new injectors would help is if there was something wrong with the old ones.
The SVOs being bigger than stock would cause the pcm to contantly be correcting the fuel trims because without reprogramming the pcm would be set to run too rich. At WOT the stock pcm is already too rich and the pcm would NOT try to correct here so this would make it even richer and if anything hurt power this would not the the injectors themselves though this would be programming.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:34 PM

you've also got to consider the ohm rating on these things. ours are higher ohm rating than most and with it a short duration. now decrease the ohmage and you'll start spewing more fuel than necessary. if you reprogram your ecm you might get better performance since the atomization is better with the SVOs but it's not worth the time/investments. but...your set for max bolt-on mods with an ECM program
Old 08-04-2006, 09:13 AM

"Far as performance if you think injectors are even vaguely capable of providing any performance gain your knowledge level is fairly low."

How is your knowledge of the english language??

I did say pound for pound, so, that means everything being equal......................hello????????????????

4 pintal/disk hole spray as apposed to 1 = better atomization, better fuel burn............... hello??????????????

SVO, or, type IV I belive, have the same connector and ohms, if not, I am sure I can find them, thats not even a factor in my book. I could be wrong on this one, but, I think they make more than one SVO injector. I also may be looking to swap injectors to support 380hp, if needed, so sizing is unknown right now.

While I appreciate the responce, I dont appreciate being ridiculed without you knowing my mechanical background. I was MAKING LT1 computer diagnostic interfaces the same time andrew was starting up his little shop and you were pooping in your diapers. Can you show a litle respect on your next set of replies to me? Thanks.

I am asking people for real world results, have you tried that? If your giving me an on paper report, thanks for the thoughts. Maybe they are better, maybe they are not. I do not know all, I will be the first to admit, but, I did not just fall off a turnip truck either

P.S. My spelling also sucks too, hukt on funiks ddnt wrk fer me
Old 08-04-2006, 09:39 AM

You will not make more power unless your old injectors were maxed out, I don't see your mods, but if they were bolt-ons only, you are far from maxed out, so no power gain there.

Mileage? I have no factual data here, but I'm gonna go with no.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:41 AM
Administrator

One thing to keep in mind... the stock RP ball & seat injectors have the spray pattern that GM had in mind when they designed the intake manifold and heads, and set the location/angle of the injector. The RP pattern is fairly wide compared to the pintle style injectors, so that would appear to make it unlikely the SVO's would improve the spray pattern, at least in relationship to the geometry of the LT1 intake/heads. The strength of the RP's is the excellent atomization provided by the hole pattern - far better than the pintle style. Again, hard to see why the SVO's would improve atomization.

If you do the math, the SVO pressure rating difference is not as large as it appears on the surface. The stock injectors are programmed at 24.9 #/HR, and the SVO's would be within 1.6% of that number. They would flow that 1.6% extra fuel at WOT as described.

I agree that there was a lot of condescension in the response from 96capricemgr. It seems to happen way too frequently.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
You will not make more power unless your old injectors were maxed out, I don't see your mods, but if they were bolt-ons only, you are far from maxed out, so no power gain there.

Mileage? I have no factual data here, but I'm gonna go with no.
I do not have the car yet, but, if I did get it, its bone stock.

Hey Injuneer, how are you? Your still on this board?? Wow, your a blast from the past, good to see/hear from you again, hope all is going well.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:36 PM

You may be knowledgable in some areas but fact remain you still don't seem to grasp the fact injectors SUPPORT power do not make it there is definetely a difference.

If a little different injector was all it would take to get better milage and performance out of a vehicle EVERY OEM would be all over it, Fred makes some good points too, but what the hell does he know he didn't give you the answer you wanted either.
My spelling/typing may not be good but the knowledge content is and that should be the primary concern. I will take misspelled good info over pulitzer quality written crap anyday.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:09 PM

Look 96do***ebag......all the other message boards that do not pertain to LT1's say they are getting slight improvements with them and are wrong? I am asing here if anyone has used them and noticed any improvements. Nobody here seems to use them, for whatever reason, especially you, so no one knows for sure and YOU are the god that will recite all that is correct?

I am sure you have the sme theory about indexing plugs and run around the track like village idiot ranting how people are a fool for doing it. It dont make too much power but people do it, it does have some advantages.

"injectors SUPPORT power do not make it there is definetely a difference"
Do yourself a favor, go read some books on thermodynamics (or something like that) that explains the effects and differances of pouring a cup of gas into a fire and then spraying the same amount in a fine mist into the same fire and let me know your results, if not, leave me alone and go away as it tells me YOU dont have the whole story. If you have, then there is no more rebutale, if there is a rebutale, you didnt do your homework and are/is still not educated in petrol/power management.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:39 PM

Old 08-04-2006, 03:46 PM

damn, I just reread my message...... I REALLY need to get myself to some english classes!!
Old 08-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Dwayne.... take a Valium.

Its not about the quality of your spelling, etc. Its the fact that you didn't really seem to take the time to read and understand the original post, and then took his head off for even asking whether spray pattern and degree of atomization can make a difference.

Personally, I think its an intelligent question, and I wish I could answer him in an accurate, knowledgable manner. But I really don't know the details, so I gave him the info that I do have. I used the same thought process when I switched from the stock RP injectors to the FMS/SVO pintle style injectors. Same size, and a better match to the 85-90psi fuel pressure required for my NOS dry kit. But not the same results - fuel mileage dropped. Why??? I can't explain it, but thinking it through before opening one's mouth often eliminates the unpleasant taste of a smelly foot.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:41 PM

injuneer, I think you hit the nail on the head about the (possible) length of spray. If the stock injectors are set at say 3" (for example purposes) from the face of the valve, maybe chevrolet set them thier because they knew they would need that distance to have the best part of the spray exactly where they need it and the 4 hole disk injectors achive 100% spray efficancy at, oh, say, 4" ? I dunno, but, seeing you have has opposite results, it might be something I ned to look into.

Sorry injun, not trying to correct you at all, just want to make sure, but you said "RP injectors to the FMS/SVO pintle style injectors". Were they actually "pintle" design or "4 hole *disk*" design cause they are two distinctivley differant critters.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Administrator

The majority of the SVO/FMS/Bosch/Denso injectors are pintle type. Bosch also makes a "disc" injector that uses a disc in place of the pintle, and adds a 4-hole orifice plate. But the injectors I got were definitely pintle style injectors. My current Bosch injectors are 64# pintle style, running at 58psi (78#/HR). The advantage of the pintle is that it works with high fuel pressures.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
My current Bosch injectors are 64# pintle style, running at 58psi (78#/HR).
Jeesus, what do you have in there, a jet plane engine, lol????

Quick Reply: chevy stock injectors vs Ford SVO .....