LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Cheap good optispark?

Old 04-17-2019, 12:30 PM

Re: Cheap good optispark?

Any new opti is a crapshoot on if it'll perform or not. You are far from the first person to get a dead one straight out of the box
Old 04-17-2019, 12:34 PM

Easy man. You have at least a couple of items to correct before passing judgement. First is low battery voltage. The indicator I had recently was a dying battery that was making the start slow and troubled. These systems are difficult to even start on low voltage. I just resolved what Sam's club left me with as they're Eveready batteries need/use longer terminal bolts. Cheesy tech didn't tell me the bolts were just stuffed in the holes making for very loose contact. $10 later I got good long bolts and topped off the battery charge - now starts like a new car. My AC Delco opti is dying though and I recently timed it taking 25 minutes to throw the high resolution fault.

So get your battery back up to full charge.

Get your coolant sensor working.

Now our cars have what is "adaptive learning" . They will run ruff even on a stock motor w/stock tune for several start and stop runs if the battery has been disconnected. Add modifications to your motor and tune you should expect a learning period every time you disconnect the battery. I know you don't want to waste time with something you think is futile but if you have it installed correctly it shouldn't be be failing on first start and deserves a chance.

Thanks for posting and please let us know what comes of this.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by cardo0
Now our cars have what is "adaptive learning" . They will run ruff even on a stock motor w/stock tune for several start and stop runs if the battery has been disconnected.
If there is nothing wrong with the engine electrically and mechanically, the engine will run just fine with unlearned fuel trims. You'd need a scan tool to know if the trims had been reset.

I think the OP has something going on that he has not put his finger on yet.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:13 PM

I'm not here to argue how fuel trims get reset. You need to direct your advice to the OP as I have no knowledge of his modifications or tune he is using. If you actually have some advice for the OP then you can quote him and post your comments. Or start your own thread on your own topic.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:25 PM

When you stop giving out misinformation, I'll be glad not to ever have to quote you again. Until that time, you need to lose the chip on your shoulder when someone corrects that misinformation. It's nothing personal, but you seem to take it that way. The key here is the "stock motor w/stock tune" in your statement. When stock, they simply do not run rough or bad after unplugging the battery if nothing is wrong with it electrically or mechanically. Your info is just straight up wrong.

With certain mods and an un/mistuned PCM, old sensors, rough mechanical condition, etc, I'll 100% agree with you that they might act funny until closed loop and a little running time after pulling battery power.....but completely stock in maintained condition? No sir.

Last edited by ACE1252; 04-18-2019 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:32 PM
LT5

Ok update, good news and some weird news? I called customer service and he said to follow specific specs and test to determine weather or not the opti was good or bad i said great. So i installed everything properly and the car would not start duh to batter just not having enough juice. So i grabbed the charger, and it started after a few mins of high amps going into it. Then it ran, idled ok or seemed to.....i checked the wires and i may have 1 off, im not 100%. But the good news is the thing is not sending a code after i deleted the codes.....i believe 16 was being sent because of bad voltage all around, it had nothing to do with the dist. This happend to me once when my battery died before on my opti that was MSD. Which i wished i had money for another one they were great. So long story short, car runs but like ****, it will start though, and it feels like its a cylinder off....so im not sure if i need new plug wires or what but it does run....just runs like its on 7 cylinders. I could have swore i put all the wires on back right but honestly they may have gotten half way damaged when i pulled them off? I have no idea, so im going to get new wires, new plugs, replace all that and get back to yall on here. Hopefully it runs great and does not give me any problems. Will update soon, if anyone has any other ideas of what the new Miss could be let me know. Thanks
Old 04-17-2019, 10:39 PM
LT5

For the posts up above, the mods are as listed in my sig.

Only thing i forgot to mention that was new is the hypertech tune is gone and a PCM for less tune is in there now.
MSD wires (kinda old now) and a hypertech 53 volt coil (brand new) other then that and a full exauste its stock heads, cam, intake, tb, ext.....im going for a full bolt on car eventually, for now i just need her to get me to work. Honestly on a side note the cardone distributor looked amazing in quality and build, im just thinking maybe when i took off the wires i may have moved one or something in the jacket wrong and its not arching? I have no idea but im without codes now, she starts, so thats way better then the a no start situation. But it is running a bit rough, like its missing on a cylinder, so ill keep up the checks on wires, and hope that i find out which one it is. If i crossed one with the other, that would be 2 misfires.....which i don't see how the motor could even run with 2 misfires but who knows. Least it starts and all the codes are off! But i need to get it 100% for sure. Im working my butt off cause work starts next week. Ill keep you all updated pics soon. Thanks all!
Old 04-18-2019, 06:00 AM

Keep after it - sounds like you are getting close!.

My 94 was running rough when I first purchased it - after trying plugs and leads i ended up replacing the Opti and it solved the problem. I went with one of the rebuilt eBay ones that use a new sensor combined with a MSD cap and rotor (with the benefit of being vented). I've also heard / read good things about the rebuilt units from Petris Enterprises.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by LT5
For the posts up above, the mods are as listed in my sig.

Only thing i forgot to mention that was new is the hypertech tune is gone and a PCM for less tune is in there now.
MSD wires (kinda old now) and a hypertech 53 volt coil (brand new) other then that and a full exauste its stock heads, cam, intake, tb, ext.....im going for a full bolt on car eventually, for now i just need her to get me to work. Honestly on a side note the cardone distributor looked amazing in quality and build, im just thinking maybe when i took off the wires i may have moved one or something in the jacket wrong and its not arching? I have no idea but im without codes now, she starts, so thats way better then the a no start situation. But it is running a bit rough, like its missing on a cylinder, so ill keep up the checks on wires, and hope that i find out which one it is. If i crossed one with the other, that would be 2 misfires.....which i don't see how the motor could even run with 2 misfires but who knows. Least it starts and all the codes are off! But i need to get it 100% for sure. Im working my butt off cause work starts next week. Ill keep you all updated pics soon. Thanks all!

Wow! Is that more than coincidence or what? When I first started my car with a new PCM4less tune it quit in the driveway and was scary driving for nearly the first 15min. Took a while but I was able to drive it daily once all the self corrections were made. So I tried to share that with you even though someone with a grudge can't realize the truth. He can't seem to play without degrading others.

I think you need at least a half hour or more run time with their tune.

Hey thanks for sharing as we all want to know more about the Cardone unit. It could be a steal at that price but we need some history for it in use.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:53 PM
LT5

So your saying i that if i have it all hooked up right it will run like a misfire for over a half an hour of driving? Then just fix itself because of the tune and relearn? Cause its acting crazy lol. I mean im thinking it is literally a cylinder off. I hope this is the case!
Old 04-18-2019, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by cardo0
Wow! Is that more than coincidence or what? When I first started my car with a new PCM4less tune it quit in the driveway and was scary driving for nearly the first 15min. Took a while but I was able to drive it daily once all the self corrections were made. So I tried to share that with you even though someone with a grudge can't realize the truth. He can't seem to play without degrading others.
There is something wrong with either the tune or the engine if it takes closed loop and a bunch of fuel trim learning to get it running. What you are describing is NOT normal and should not be considered as such. It's bad tuning, mismatched parts, some kind of electrical/mechanical issue(s) with the engine, or some combination of the aforementioned.

I've not degraded you, simply stating facts. You can continue to take shots if you wish, but f this goes the same way it did with your nonsense on LS1tech, you may find the exact same boot on your backside here as you got there. JasonD and Injuneer warned you several years ago here to knock off trying to pass off bad advice as "good". I think it wise you remember and follow that warning.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...rances-868738/

Last edited by ACE1252; 04-20-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by LT5
So your saying i that if i have it all hooked up right it will run like a misfire for over a half an hour of driving? Then just fix itself because of the tune and relearn? Cause its acting crazy lol. I mean im thinking it is literally a cylinder off. I hope this is the case!
No.....don't drive it. Cardo0 is just wrong in his direction to drive the car to fix it. You've got to track down what is causing the misfire.

Do you have a way to log the car? If you have a '95 and down you may be able to use Gary's free software to log it. You'll need to have a laptop and cable to log it. I do "okay" reading logs, but Injuneer is excellent at reviewing them.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/com...95-lt1-874306/

Can you post a video of a cold start?

Last edited by ACE1252; 04-18-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Cardo0 - you have a PM.

ACE1252 - let me take care of this
Old 04-18-2019, 05:58 PM
LT5

Yeah i have a bosch scanner, i will go out tomorrow and turn the vehicle on, and record a video of the log with my phone, and show everything on there. I am thinking its just a simple misfire but i cannot wait to get her back to 100%....i love these cars and motors. Thank you guys for all the support and help, will let you know soon
Old 04-19-2019, 10:48 PM
Administrator

The purpose of recording the data and presenting it as an Excel file is the ability to manipulate the numbers, using Excel, and to highlight relationships between various sensor reading and PCM parameters. At least that"s the way I've been doing it for 20+ years. A video of your Bosch scanner is not as useful, unless the problem is so obvious the it jumps right out at you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cheap good optispark?