challenges putting a 95lt1 corvette engine and trans into a 94z - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Old 09-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #1

challenges putting a 95lt1 corvette engine and trans into a 94z

I have a 94 z with a lt4 383 stroker, built 4l60 with 3k stall, ford 9 inch that is now my wifes so I want to make it a more dosile drive line. Have a line on a low mile 95 lt1 vette motor and trans I would like to swap and sell what I remove. Is this doable and what are the challenges.
Thank you all in advance
shawn
Wimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:51 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Re: challenges putting a 95lt1 corvette engine and trans into a 94z

The Corvette uses a ZF (German) 6-speed. You may have to build a custom trans cross-member, cobble up clutch hydraulics, and see if you can get the shifter to poke through the stock console. Hopefully it fits in the tunnel. May need to go with a chassis mount for the torque arm. Check the DS yoke slider for compatibility. Probably need a custom length DS, so you can include a ZF slider. Don't know if any of the few people left on this site have done the conversion.

Has a skip-shift feature, but you wouldn't hook that up anyway. You will need to see if it has a reverse lockout system, and whether it's compatible with the F-Body PCM. Then figure out if the VSS setup (# of reluctor teeth; or drive/driven gears) is compatible. Don't know where the reverse light switch is on the ZF. On the T56 it's midway on the passenger side of the trans.

Read this:

Technical information on the ZF 6 speed

The engine has a few differences. Water pump connections are different.

http://shbox.com/1/lt1_water_pumps.jpg

Not sure if the Corvette accessory bracket is the same. You will have sensors that don't need to be hooked up - oil temp, oil pressure switch, 2nd knock sensor
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #3

the vette engine and trans is an automatic
Wimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:32 PM   #4
sbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimmer View Post
I have a 94 z with a lt4 383 stroker, built 4l60 with 3k stall, ford 9 inch that is now my wifes so I want to make it a more dosile drive line. Have a line on a low mile 95 lt1 vette motor and trans I would like to swap and sell what I remove. Is this doable and what are the challenges.
Thank you all in advance
shawn
95 4L60E is PWM lockup and has a different electrical connector. Off the top of my head the best way to deal with it is probably to add a wire and the 95 connector to your car and use the 95 tune but it's been a while since I looked at that so you'll want to google this situation.
sbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbs View Post
95 4L60E is PWM lockup and has a different electrical connector. Off the top of my head the best way to deal with it is probably to add a wire and the 95 connector to your car and use the 95 tune but it's been a while since I looked at that so you'll want to google this situation.

I agree. Swap the motor but keep the trans.
cardo0 is offline   Reply With Quote