Old 04-24-2005, 03:41 PM

CAT Back options

Thinking about a cat back system. What's ya'll opinion on the following:

1. Borla

2. Corsa

3. B & B Tri-flo

4. Magnaflow

5. keeping my factory tips and just getting new pipes/muffler from the cat back

When stating your opinion, remember, I already have new O2 sensors, and the borla Y-pipe installed, and the CAT is new also.

As far as cost goes...I'm pretty sure option #5 is my best bet. The others are pretty subjective...Just looking for quality and sound opinions.

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:16 PM

Re: CAT Back options

Hooker is inexpensive and sounds great, I got mine from Summit for $290. It is aluminized piping, that's the only downside. Still not really a big deal if you ask me. If you can afford it, the GMMG is the best sounding in most people's opinions, stainless, and expensive
Old 04-24-2005, 04:24 PM

All of those are good quality products, all stainless steel, good construction. Sounds wise, I'd prefer something else, epsecially if your getting headers in the future. From the ones I have heard, Corsa and B&B are more mild sounding, they have a softer more high pitched tone. Borla sounds ok, but I never really like the sound much. Magnaflow is a good buy for the money, but again most I have heard arent quite deep enough for me. Of course I would say the GMMG if your going to spend money like Corsa and B&B, but Hooker seems to sound great for a low price. Hooker and GMMG give nice deep muscle car rumbles. Duals are always a good option too. Keeping your stock tips would be a good way to get that sleeper effect since everyone will think you are stock. Just some other brands to consider SLP/Random Tech/MAC/GMMG to name a few.

-Dustin-
Old 04-24-2005, 04:24 PM

I saw that the magnaflow was all stainless...but only $350...anyone have any experience with them?
Old 04-24-2005, 04:26 PM

My only complaint about Magnaflow is the 3 1/2 tips. I think they are too large and long looking and take away from the cars look. But each to his own.

-Dustin-
Old 04-24-2005, 04:32 PM

whats GMMG stand for? because im also lookin into a new catback
Old 04-24-2005, 04:34 PM

I hear some arguments of certain mufflers restricting performance more than others...example: flowmaster vs other (dynomax, ect...).

If I went with replacing my stock plumbing and keeping the stock tips...I'd have to concider this.

Also...my car is not raced...so would the above even really make a difference?
Old 04-24-2005, 04:41 PM

I cant remember what it stands for but here is the site: www.gmmginc.net If you do some searching you will find I did a lengthy review on the catback.

I personally would stay away from Flowmaster and Dynomax mufflers. At least the crossover designed ones, which I have to say I hate the design all together, hence my GMMG.

Consider what?

Race, well why are you putting a catback on? Just for the sound or performance or both?

-Dustin-
Old 04-24-2005, 05:47 PM

I like the SLP 2OTL for Camaro's and Magnaflow or Hooker on TransAM's. My magnaflow sounds great and was a great value. Its pretty deep with headers and no cat. The SLP is really deep and if it would have had tips out each side I might have bought it for the TransAm. I like the tips of Magnaflow on my TA. I see no point in spending more than $400 on a catback no matter who makes it. There are plenty in that price range that flow and sound good. If money were no object I would probably try GMMG.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:48 PM

Stands for General Motors Motorsports Group..c'mon Dustin!! I don't even have it and I know that, man!
Old 04-24-2005, 07:16 PM

Thats what I thought it was but I wasnt going to make any assumtions. Thanks

-Dustin-
Old 04-24-2005, 08:10 PM

i shopped borla, corsa and bb triflow and for me bb was head and shoulders above the competition. while they are all quality systems, the sound of the bb easily outclassed the others. smooth deep burble at idle, and race-car like notes at high revs. fit and finish is second to none as well.

i found the borla and corsa too metallic and raspy for my tastes. bb just sounds so rich and exotic.

of course eveyone has different tastes, but for me bb rules the roost. i also love the exclusivity of being the only guy in a 10 mile radius that has the brand. nothing but compliments from females and males when they hear my car.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by foxbat
guy in a 10 mile radius that has the brand.
I cant agree more, though its like one of the 5 in the state for me. I never see GMMG around here.

-Dustin-
Old 04-24-2005, 08:37 PM

HOOKER! Best exhaust for the money. I don't drive mine in the rain or the winter, so the aluminized pipe isn't a big deal. Once you bolt up long tubes, and an off-raod y-pipe, it sounds amazing. Of course, I am a little biased. I have attached a couple videos. All the mods are in the sig. Just remember an exhuast will change as you change motor parts. Hope this helps.

Cat-Back to Cutout
Hooker Vid
Sound Clip

BIZ

Last edited by TheBiz; 04-24-2005 at 08:40 PM.