LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Car Won't Start Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 05:27 AM

Car Won't Start Troubleshooting

Car was running perfect. It started to snow and I put on my car cover. Took cover off and went to drive car a few days later and couldn't get it to start.

I ended up getting it to start by flooring the gas while I turned the key all the way. I tried to figure out what all could be causing the car to start the way it did, so I replaced the Fuel Filter and got the Fuel System cleaned.

Car was back and running well for a few days (I thought it was fixed).

Now just today the car is having problems again (same thing as before). I can get the car to start if I floor the gas and turn the key all the way (although it may take a little while to get it to actually start).

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Once the car starts it runs and drives smooth as ever.

I thought it was the fuel pump at first (but I can hear the pump turn on when I turn the key).

Then I thought it was the fuel filter (which I replaced).

And I got the Fuel System cleaned just in case as well.

Here is a sound clip of the very first time the car wouldn't start (this is before I changed the Fuel Filter and got system cleaned out) but this is extremely similar to what the car is doing now.

http://media.putfile.com/carstart69

Please help,
Thanks.

Kent
Old 01-09-2006, 11:40 AM

Re: Car Won't Start Troubleshooting

By holding the throttle wide open it shuts off the injectors allowing you to clear the flooded engine of excess fuel. Probably needs plugs and wires to provide better spark for cold weather starting.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:16 PM

Would be a good idea to smell the oil on the dipstick for fuel smell. What type of cleaning was the fuel system put through? Your problem sounds like you are flooding with fuel when it sits. Usually from a stuck injector.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:13 PM

----------------
http://www.jiffylube.com/AutoService...s.aspx?WSCID=8

Fuel System Cleaning Service

If your engine is stalling, hesitating, surging, or hard starting, your fuel system may need a cleaning. Performing this service helps remove fuel varnish build-up and other deposits.

Our service helps clean the fuel system and combustion chamber with multi-step cleaners.
----------------

Yea, the car like WONT start unless I floor the gas. If it is the plugs and wires, I was just about to get new headers installed and was going to do new plugs and wires then.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:18 PM

Have the fuel pressure checked.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by kizzle
----------------
http://www.jiffylube.com/AutoService...s.aspx?WSCID=8

Fuel System Cleaning Service

If your engine is stalling, hesitating, surging, or hard starting, your fuel system may need a cleaning. Performing this service helps remove fuel varnish build-up and other deposits.

Our service helps clean the fuel system and combustion chamber with multi-step cleaners.
----------------

Yea, the car like WONT start unless I floor the gas. If it is the plugs and wires, I was just about to get new headers installed and was going to do new plugs and wires then.

That stuff is a joke. Get system flushed on the rail with something like 3M has or have the injectors cleaned and flow matched.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:26 PM

I just went outside (5:30pm) and the car started first try (without pressing the gas).

I normally drive at times around 10pm - 3am (when it would be much colder), and the car has trouble starting then.

That makes me think it might be the plugs/wires having trouble with the spark due to cold.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:30 PM

Fuel pressure regulator perhaps?
Old 01-10-2006, 05:41 AM

Drove the car to and from work today.

It seems like it only doesn't start after sitting for a few days. But as long as I were to drive it every day it seems like it would start up ok.

What could cause the car to not start due to not being driven for a day or two?
Old 01-10-2006, 06:03 AM

Flooring the throttle when starting as stated above is called flood mode and cuts back the fuel while it's cranked that way. Since you start easier in the short term but long term has to start that way, it would indicate a very slow leakage into the intake. I think you are confusing this problem with the more common type of problem where the fuel drains away from the fuel rails back toward the tank. However, this problem is found by turning the key on with the engine off for a few seconds and then off. Cycle the power like this (on then off) 5 or 6 times. Without pressing the throttle, see if it starts easier after the 6th time. If not hit WOT and you know the problem is from flooding (just the opposite).

A very simple test to see if the fuel is dripping into the intake or running backwards toward the tank would be to put a fuel pressure gage on the rails. When the engine is shut down, pinch off the inlet and return lines and see what the pressure does over the same amount of time. If it slowly drops and you then have to go WOT on start to get it to start, it's the injectors dripping fuel into the intake causing puddling.

You could also unbolt the fuel rails and lift them and the injectors up to view the ends and power up the pump with the engine off to see if any are dripping. But try the power cycling method the next time it shows the problem first and it is easy to do without even getting dirty.

Last edited by Guest47904; 01-10-2006 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:26 PM

Well i'll be driving the car to and from work daily now so I don't know when the next time its going to "have trouble starting".

I was off work for 2 weeks and stayed at home mostly (didn't drive much), which allowed the car to sit and caused whatever it was to make it have trouble starting.

As long as I drive it every day it seems to be fine, which is wierd. But if I leave it sitting for more then two days it seems to have trouble.