LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Car is overheating, need help [edit]!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:41 PM

So, I replaced my 02 Sensors the other morning. Pretty simple project even though the passenger side sensor is hidden under the A-Arm. I so happen to accidentally hit the stater with the ratchet and sparks a fly. Now, my car's fans are either not turning on or they aren't always turning on since it isn't overheating all of the time? I'm sure I tripped something when I hit the starter with my tool. What do I need to look for in trying to troubleshoot this little problem?
Old 03-03-2013, 09:37 PM

re: Car is overheating, need help [edit]!

Originally Posted by Hector95Z28
So, I replaced my 02 Sensors the other morning. Pretty simple project even though the passenger side sensor is hidden under the A-Arm. I so happen to accidentally hit the stater with the ratchet and sparks a fly. Now, my car's fans are either not turning on or they aren't always turning on since it isn't overheating all of the time? I'm sure I tripped something when I hit the starter with my tool. What do I need to look for in trying to troubleshoot this little problem?
I suggest you look to the fusible links in the harness near the battery connectons. The wire actually melts, acting like a fuse, to protect he circuit.

PS I know I'm not Injuneer...chuckle.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:48 PM

I can't really tell by what you said if it is overheating or not. Throwing a few sparks at the starter would not have anything in particular to do with the fans. The big cable to the starter is not fused, so you have to be careful around it.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:55 PM

The car is running great, no problem at all to start up. Upon driving it for a while and shutting the car off, you can hear the water begin to boil under the hood, then some of the water/coolant begins to seep out of the coolant resevoir due to it being to hot. I'm thinking that the fans are not coming on at all? I didn't have any sort of issues like this before until I got under the car and replaced the sensors, accidentally hitting the starter and now this? I must have fried a fuse? I'll definitely check them all out tomorrow morning.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Administrator

We ask the you NOT page individuals in posts on the tech forums. It is insulting to other knowledgeable members when you don't appear to have confidence that they can help you.

If you want to contact a specific person, use a PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:33 PM

Re: Car is overheating, need help [edit]!

Originally Posted by Injuneer
We ask the you NOT page individuals in posts on the tech forums. It is insulting to other knowledgeable members when you don't appear to have confidence that they can help you.

If you want to contact a specific person, use a PM.
Wow what a jackass move on your part. Go ahead, keep being a ***** like the rest of the mods, because we all know its working so well to keep the member base thriving and active.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:51 PM

Whistle.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Andrew R
Wow what a jackass move on your part. Go ahead, keep being a ***** like the rest of the mods, because we all know its working so well to keep the member base thriving and active.
Yeah, I gave up posting here all I get is criticism and mockery.

(EDIT BY MODERATOR)

Just to clarify, redline9570 did not “give up posting here”. He was banned. He opened a second account as Shangrila, and was gettting into arguments with people, while promoting the head work of Thomas Sizemore, operating as “Headbytes” out ot Tennessee. Turned out Thomas Sizemore was a perennial scammer, who stole large sums of money from a huge number of people. He finally went out of business. For details, including links to a number of car enthusiast sites where his criminal activities were documented, see this thread:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...7/#post6993759

Last edited by Injuneer; 09-23-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:59 PM

a couple of thoughts after you do as bw hunter suggests. I would reset the pcm by disconnecting battery or pulling the fuse(just on the chance it might help). I believe shoebox has a diagram how to make a manual override switch so I am assuming you could see if they would go on that way. I had trouble with mine a few times not shutting off and not coming on. I put a switch on it that allows the pcm to still control it but give me the ability to turn them on when I want as well. I think my trouble was in the relay but dont know for sure. You can change the temp they come on if you have the ability to flash your pcm. I think stock they are set to come on at 215-220 or something kind of high. If you put some electricle tape on the ratchet end they wont spark too lol. I have a spark plug that I have to tape ratchet to get out or disconnect battery.

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 04-02-2013, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Andrew R
I will be the first one to say that ALL of us Mods are humans and imperfect. I will also say that comments like yours are completely uncalled for and that if you have a personal beef with anyone, Mod or otherwise, please take it to private communication (away from this board). We all can be a bit short sometimes or say the wrong thing, (I do this frequently, just ask my wife... ).

However I am now asking you to not be a *****.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by redline9570
Yeah, I gave up posting here all I get is criticism and mockery.
If you truly gave up posting this comment would not be here. If you want to contribute to the board in a constructive manner please do so. If not, then either keep it to yourself or follow through with your own statement.