LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Can I delete this radiator hose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:40 AM

Can I delete this radiator hose?

On my 94 lt1, there is a hose (3/8" i think) that runs from the top hose where the air bleed is and runs down to the lower radiator hose. I believe this is the hose that used to hook to both sides of the throttle body to warm it. Ive just got so much crap going on in that general area trying to fit my intercooler piping, that itd be a ton easier if it was just gone completely. does anyone know what would happen from removing only this line?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:50 AM

Your description is confusing. When you say, "the top hose where the air bleed is," are you talking about the hose that attaches to the upper left barb in the water pump that has the metal air purge screw in it, or is the "air bleed hose" you're referring to connected to an aluminum pipe that runs along the top of the intake manifold on the passenger's side? (Steam pipe?)
Old 05-03-2007, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
Your description is confusing. When you say, "the top hose where the air bleed is," are you talking about the hose that attaches to the upper left barb in the water pump that has the metal air purge screw in it, or is the "air bleed hose" you're referring to connected to an aluminum pipe that runs along the top of the intake manifold on the passenger's side? (Steam pipe?)
I am talking about the one from the upper left barb. I removed the part of the hose that runs from the metal end with the purge screw and runs down in the fender and instead ran a line back from the metal part that connects to the water pump directly to the firewall so that I no longer have the hose snaking up around the front of the alternator and around the fender, it freed up alot of room up front. but now the only way to keep the little 3/8" hose seems to be to run it across the top of the intake manifold or try and squeeze it under the throttle body in that tight gap. In my effort to try to keep everything simple under the hood, no egr, air, a/c, abs...I thought if i was able to totally remove it, it would clean up even more room.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by cjmatt
I am talking about the one from the upper left barb. I removed the part of the hose that runs from the metal end with the purge screw and runs down in the fender and instead ran a line back from the metal part that connects to the water pump directly to the firewall so that I no longer have the hose snaking up around the front of the alternator and around the fender, it freed up alot of room up front. but now the only way to keep the little 3/8" hose seems to be to run it across the top of the intake manifold or try and squeeze it under the throttle body in that tight gap. In my effort to try to keep everything simple under the hood, no egr, air, a/c, abs...I thought if i was able to totally remove it, it would clean up even more room.
I just got rid of my heater core on my car, and just ran a hose from bottom of outlet on water pump (3/8ths hose) to a splice that converts into the 5/8ths inlet on upper part of water pump. Worked like a champ.

You can get rid of the bleeder and other hard piping that went by the fenderwell like this.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:33 AM

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, this hose can be deleted. It's the heater return hose. By deleting the return hose, you'll be rendering your heat function useless, so you may as well delete the other hose that runs from the firewall to the lower left barb on the water pump. (The heater "supply" hose.)
Old 05-03-2007, 11:57 AM

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, this hose can be deleted. It's the heater return hose. By deleting the return hose, you'll be rendering your heat function useless, so you may as well delete the other hose that runs from the firewall to the lower left barb on the water pump. (The heater "supply" hose.)
I dont want to get rid of the heater return hose. That hose is staying, but there is a smaller hose that is T'd into it and runs to a fork in the lower radiator hose on the drivers side. The little hose is the one I want to remove.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:02 PM

That hose is staying, but there is a smaller hose that is T'd into it and runs to a fork in the lower radiator hose on the drivers side.
Can I ask what function this smaller hose that's "T'd" into the heater hose serves?
Old 05-03-2007, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Keep in mind when responding to this question... the 93/94 hose routing is not the same as the 95-97 routing.

http://shbox.com/1/93-94_hoses.jpg

http://shbox.com/1/95-97_hoses.jpg
Old 05-03-2007, 12:09 PM

Get a 95-7 bleeder pipe without the 'tee' in it.. [GM p/n 10262478]

Get a 95 -97 'radiator inlet hose' with no 'tee' in it..[GM 'Radiator Inlet Hose' GM 95-7 p/n 10261148, or equivelant]

Do the 95-7 'throttle body bypass' method.. [NOT the 'hose barb connector' method]
That's it [it also allows use of the 95-7 Hi -Miler hose kit from Goodyear]
Old 05-03-2007, 12:12 PM

Can I ask what function this smaller hose that's "T'd" into the heater hose serves?
The 'tee'd' hose[ in both the lower radiator hose, and the 'bleeder pipe'[in the heater hose that you refer to] is for the Throttle Body Coolant.. it changed in 95 to the 'later' type.. which my post above refers to..
Old 05-03-2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mtrhds94Z
The 'tee'd' hose[ in both the lower radiator hose, and the 'bleeder pipe'[in the heater hose that you refer to] is for the Throttle Body Coolant.. it changed in 95 to the 'later' type.. which my post above refers to..

I understand all that. It was a rhetorical question. I think the problem is that we seem to have a misunderstanding about what a heater hose is vs. what a radiator hose is.

Heater hose = hose that runs to the heater core

The two smaller barbs on the passenger's side of the water pump are both for heater hoses, no matter what year F-body you have. A throttle body bypass doesn't involve heater hoses in any way, shape or form no matter what year F-body you have.

The second hose that runs from the heater core to the lower passenger's side barb in the water pump serves no other purpose than to supply water to the heater core no matter what year F-body you have. If a "Tee" is in this hose, not the radiator hose, it's because it was put there by someone on purpose, not because it came that way from the factory. Hence, why I was asking about it.

Last edited by thesoundandthefury; 05-03-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:02 PM

See heater hose [#3] and the 'bleeder tee' [#4] in shoebox diagram for 93-4:
http://shbox.com/1/heater_hoses_93-94.jpg
Also note the 'bleeder 'tee' that has smaller[3/8" ] hose that goes to the Throttle Body..
Now note hose #3 in this diagram, [for 95-7], and bleeder pipe[no 'tee'] #4:
http://shbox.com/1/heater_hoses.jpg
Still think that a TB bypass doesn't involve a heater hose in a 93-4?The 'bleeder tee' supplies the hose that goes to the psgr side of the TB..
The WYE in the 'lower radiator hose' provides the hose for the drivers side TB coolant..
Again, by getting rid of the WYE'd hose, and the TEE'ed bleeder pipe, then doing a '95-7 style TB bypass', that bleeder tee and the wye'ed hose can be changed[both the wye and tee eliminated] allowing 'late' hose configuration..

Last edited by Mtrhds94Z; 05-03-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mtrhds94Z
See heater hose [#3] and the 'bleeder tee' [#4] in shoebox diagram for 93-4:
http://shbox.com/1/heater_hoses_93-94.jpg
Also note the 'bleeder 'tee' that has smaller[3/8" ] hose that goes to the Throttle Body..
Now note hose #3 in this diagram, [for 95-7], and bleeder pipe[no 'tee'] #4:
http://shbox.com/1/heater_hoses.jpg
Still think that a TB bypass doesn't involve a heater hose in a 93-4?The 'bleeder tee' supplies the hose that goes to the psgr side of the TB..
The WYE in the 'lower radiator hose' provides the hose for the drivers side TB coolant..
Again, by getting rid of the WYE'd hose, and the TEE'ed bleeder pipe, then doing a '95-7 style TB bypass', that bleeder tee and the wye'ed hose can be changed[both the wye and tee eliminated] allowing 'late' hose configuration..

I stand corrected. I was always under the impression that the upper heater hose on 93-94's was Tee'd into the steam pipe. That's why I asked in my first post because I was trying to make sure he wasn't trying to delete the steam pipe.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:24 PM

I stand corrected. I was always under the impression that the upper heater hose on 93-94's was Tee'd into the steam pipe. That's why I asked in my first post because I was trying to make sure he wasn't trying to delete the steam pipe.

Thanks for the clarification.
No prob.. I do think what he's after is the 'conversion' I speak of..
Old 05-03-2007, 02:40 PM

Yes, the conversion should work. I didnt know they had changed it in 95, thanks for the heads up. The whole time I was trying to do a 95 throttle body bypass when i had no clue that there even was one, kinda makes you wonder what the gm engineers were thinking back in 93-94 anyhow

Quick Reply: Can I delete this radiator hose?